first time sparring

My first time I had a lot of trouble picking up power punches while attempting to slip the jab. Eventually I gave up on the jab and focused on not being clocked in the face. Worked out for a while actually.

everybody is saying it, but it's a truth. Relax. Use your jab. Often. Get a feeling of what it's like being 'in the ring' for the first time. Meaning:
a) don't rush out at the sound of the bell/buzzer
b) don't get caught up in the ropes. Keep it in the center of the ring. That way you can work on your combos.
c) keep the combos simple for now. Work on placement and timing. Don't get frustrated if he slips quite a few. that's actually a good thing. You'll learn to lead and faint that way.
d) ask your partner (remember, they're your partner, not opponent) what they plan on getting out of it.
e) smile between rounds or afterwards. Ultimately, you're there to have fun.

oh, and work the jab.

....and keep moving!

Focus on your foot movement the day before and leading up to the session. I placed too much stock in punching technique before hand, and wish I had spent hours more in front of the mirror working on nothing but my feet.

Last edited:
Ignore all this advice, it won't do you any good. The only advice you should be taking is -

A) You are going to get your face smashed in.
B) You are going to be the most tired you'll ever be in your life.
C) You are going to have the worst headache tomorrow.

Preparing for the above will make the following week much more bearable.

Last edited:
Expect to get hit, don't let it bother you. Training your defense is as important as your offense.

I know you think otherwise, but expect to gas. You could get an adrenaline dump your first time sparring.

Circle, stay calm, and work your techniques. Try to learn how your opponent reacts to your movements. Like poker, look for tells and use them. e.g. if he always slips/blocks the same way to your jab, fake the jab and punch where he will be. You should pick up some patterns in the first minute or so.

Good advice but I would argue that training you defense is more important than your offense. Get in there and focus on not getting hit with out running away or turtling up. Most people spend a disperportionite(sp) time on offense (hitting pads, etc) and less time on protecting themselves. Then when they spar they get hammered and can get their offense going because they are getting beat up. Use you footwork, keep your hands up and defend yourself until you see and opening. Fire off a combo and get back to defending yourself. Overtime, you will be able to concentrate more on offense as the defense becomes second nature.

Here are three lessons I learned my first time sparring.

Don't be afraid to hit the other guy: I outweighed the guy by 30 or so pounds and didn't want to hurt him. I lightly pawed at his face for the first 3 minutes.

Keep your hands up: He didn't have the same problem about hitting me. Left hooks rattled me under the headgear and right crosses stung my nose.

Move before you get hit: Not only that, but I'd lock my feet in place when I saw that left hook. If I had my glove on my ear, he was more than content to hit me in the ribs instead.

However, after that initial gunshyness, I came back two days later more confident. Before long, I learned to fight back as he loaded up on power punches, I would answer the phone and stay loose for the ones that connected, and I would begin to move around and create offensive opportunities for myself.

Have fun no matter what happens. Everybody sucks their first time in. It doesn't matter if you're Bernard Hopkins, Mike Tyson, or Manny Pacquiao. Everybody.

Use the jab left hook most people don't see it comng also nice username for never actually boxed before
PHP:

Miss every punch you throw, fall over your own feet
and run out of breath. Oh wait a minute that's just me lol.

NEVER throw your best punch first ! Cause if it lands and your opponent is still there what are you gonna do ? Use your jab use your jab circle circle jab circle. Use your jab use your jab circle circle. Throw lots of faints and see what he is gonna do. Lots of times a faint will open a huge whole then POW ! Use your jab circle use your jab. Oh yeah use your jab.

Last edited:
There is a whole list of things that are important. You will only learn by sparring.

On a side note: You will probably not be that good in your first lot of sparring sessions. So before you take anyone's advice you have to be comfortable with sparring first.

Pad work doesn't always translate into sparring. Likewise, sparring doesn't translate into fighting.

Hate to tell you but youre probably gonna gas your first sparring session. I dont care how much cardio youve done. The first time you climb into the ring you will get an adrenaline shot that you probably dont get on the track or treadmill.

So go ahead and gas and dont worry about it. Youll get better

Keep your chin down and hands up at all times. Don't focus on power but rather use speed and technique. Remember to breathe and accept the fact that you're gonna get hit. Use your jab effectively and keep your feet moving. Try to anticipate punches and look to counter.

in this like boxing, kickboxing, or mma.
boxing keep hands up and chin downs. do fast strikes.
kickboxing same as boxing but if your partner gets to close to you do a push kick and get some distance.
mma strike and and after they kick do a double leg takedown, gain dominant position.

Relax, you may not say you're worried about gassing but when you first spar/fight you may forget to breathe when you're exchanging or getting hit. Just remember to breathe and enjoy yourself, don't worry about having everything perfect, overtime your technique and such will come to you natural.

Alot of people get the impression sparring is a fight their first couple of times. Some even get a adrenalin rush, dont back straight up, dont swing really hard, make sure you throw the first punch and make it kinda light so you can set the mood. Also let your sparring partner know its your first time sparring. Most guys will go easy on you and give you tips.

Back