first time sparring

iBox

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to be sparring for my first time this week and could use some advice. I've been working on my cardio and technique for about 8 months now, so I'm not too worried about getting gassed. Just hoping you guys could give me some pointers about common mistakes beginners make when sparring, and what I should be most focused on when I'm in the ring. Thanks for the help.

Don't back straight up. Don't cover up and put your face down as that leaves you open to upper cuts. You probably already know that though.

Expect to get hit, don't let it bother you. Training your defense is as important as your offense.

I know you think otherwise, but expect to gas. You could get an adrenaline dump your first time sparring.

Circle, stay calm, and work your techniques. Try to learn how your opponent reacts to your movements. Like poker, look for tells and use them. e.g. if he always slips/blocks the same way to your jab, fake the jab and punch where he will be. You should pick up some patterns in the first minute or so.

When you keep your gloves up in front of your face, hold them there stiffly. Otherwise when your gloves are hit, you will just hit yourself in the face. I know it sounds funny, but I remember I experienced it a few times to start, and saw it with other first-timers. You hear so many times "keep your hands up", and you figure that is all there is to it. Then, when your gloves are hit and your hands are just loosely up there "pow, right in the kisser."

Don't stare at the opponent's face or eyes, try to generally focus around the shoulder/upper body area to see where a punch may be coming from.

I liked all the other responses so far.

Gonna sound counter-intuitive but try and enjoy it.

Don't panic. Try to be relaxed, even though that's hard to do your first time sparring.

Roll with the punches. Try to practice slipping your opponents punches. Also realize that when you are sparring you are trying to get each other better. You are not going in there to take each others heads off. Another thing that I noticed, there is nothing that really prepares you for taking your first good clean shot in the face. Its a wake up call, but what really matters is how you respond to it. Good luck.

Relax, don't be tight. You are going to get punched. A lot. Get used to it. Keep your head and feet moving. Don't rush like you are trying to win straight out of the gate. It's sparring. Find your range, stay busy, and keep your hands up.

I would go light on my feet

Of course chin down and hands up.

Work on your technique and not so much your speed if it is indeed your first time sparring.

Relax, once you get all tensed up it all goes out the window.

stay relaxed and keep the head moving and hands up and chin down. dont forget to breath. remembering to breath while punching and defending punches. people tend to hold their breath during these times and it can gas you out real fast.

don't be discouraged if you get handled in sparring buy another boxer, because it is something every boxer has had happen to them. I've even seen video of Mayweather getting owned in sparring. Everybody gets their ass kicked at some point so don't be suprised or get upset when it happens to you.

It also helps to videotape your sparring sessions so you can critique yourself afterwards.

Chin down, hands up, breath, movement, head movement/blocking. Try to stay calm, but that is easier than done in a first sparring session. Jabs and straights are good for beginners, throw combos, and try to move your head at the end of combos.

Also, don't be surprised to get into a brawl. I know everybody says "its just sparring", "you're there to make each other better", etc. Theoretically, that is how sparring is supposed to work. But if your opponent is the same experience level as you he might come in wild and try to take your head off. I'm sure you can adjust accordingly, just don't be TOO relaxed in there.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself beforehand by expecting yourself to totally school the other guy and at the same time, don't expect to receive a beating.

Sparring is your chance to implement the techniques you've learnt shadow boxing and hitting the pads and bag. However, you'll be surprised (and gain new respect for boxers!) when you realise that it's very difficult to put them into practice with a moving target that's punching you back, your arms are tired and you're breathing heavy.

As for the actual physical side, keep it reasonably simple for now with the fundamentals, jabs and one twos. Keep moving, mixing up circling in different directions and lines. Something that helps me is saying what punch/combo you're going to throw before putting it into action. This helps with the commitment and reduces any hesitation.

Breath, keep your hands up, chin tucked in.

Do the opposite of what Brock does.

ok circle backwards. keep ur hands up. n wen u see his wrist move for a punch step back

Back