First Review: Gameness Platinum

blink_man182

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Hey guys just here to talk about my first Gi that I bought. This is the second one that I've worn, the first being an Atama.

I bought the Gameness white Platinum Gi sized A2 for 135$ from the Gym that I train at. Got an Ouano belt for free with it as well. A2 fit me perfectly since I'm 5'9 145pounds. So here goes some things that I've viewed from training a few times in it.

Feel
Both the pants and the jacket of this Gi were extremely comfortable. I was a little worried about how comfortable it would be since the collar is so thick. But after wearing it, I felt no discomfort whatsoever. Plus the collar seemed to help a lot with my opponents grip. Favourite part about the entire Gi, is the pants. They were extremely comfortable and felt almost like wearing Pajama bottoms except strong enough to roll in.

Look
Only words that I can think of are BAD ASS. Love the look of this GI a lot. Especially the Gameness symbol by the collar and the one thats on the pants. Not only did they look good but they didn't make the Gi tough to roll in at all.

Performance
Feels very good to roll in. Not just after a few sessions, but even during my very first time wearing it. After a few sessions of wearing it, it feels even more comfortable but looks the same.

Ouano Belt
Got the belt with it. This belt is extremely tough and is going to take some wearing it. So tough at first that it was hard to tie it. Love it though and seems like it will last for a longtime as well.

Overall this Gi is built to last while maintaining a very comfortable feel to it and looking good at the exact same time. Although I have only tried one other Gi before this one is very good quality at a good price.

9/10 because of my little experience with other GI's, but 3 other people at the gym have the same one and also feel the same way about it.

ps- Will post pics later once I can find the camera :p

I like mine gameness platinum but the fucking collar os so damn thick it is not even funny.

To each his own, I guess. I'd like the gameness platinum if it didn't have all the bling on it: the collar patch, the leg patch, and the back patch. The lapel patch is sewn under the lapel stitching too, which means that removing it is outside of my crappy seam ripping skills.

Platinums are ridiculously comfortable.

Not as durable as ATAMA gold weaves I'd say, but still an excellent gi.

ugh today part of the weave on the sleeve on my plats got stuck on a part of the door, it pulled it out into a loop (didnt break the fiber of the weave thank god).

hot tip: dont get the gi caught on stuff.

Love my Platinum as well, the back patch came off though thanks to a seam ripper. Too many patches for my taste but I'm very happy with the gi overall.

Can't find my camera and my webcam sucks. When I do I will be added pics of the new Sprawls I just purchased as well :p

This was my first gi from about 1.5 years ago. Since then I've only owned this gi and a Vulkan. I pretty much really dislike this gi. I still use it every other class so I won't have to do laundry every night, but on the days I use my Vulkan, I'm just kinda thankful. This gi is sooooo heavy, it really feels hot as hell and restrictive(it isn't restrictive, but it feels like it is going to be before you roll in it). The collar is so thick I've been in positions before where my shoulders are bunched up, and just the collar pressure on my neck feels as though I'm going to choke myself out(obviously this is rare, but still, the collar is thick as hell, WAY too thick).

The patches are ripping and faded, but I have rolled in it a lot in 1.5 years. I'm starting to get tearing in the gi in certain places, but it seems sturdy enough that the tearing is just minor and even though it's been there a while, it hasn't really progressed further. It weighs about 2x what my Vulkan weighs(not joking), and I would not recommend this gi to anyone. It cost more than my Vulkan as well, and although it isn't a horrible piece of kit, there's just no reason to ever buy this gi with all the other choices out there.

Yeah I want to take off the already fraying shoulder patch but it's sewn into the damn lapel and theres also a random line of blue stitching that runs across it as well. trying to figure out how to take it off without disrupting the gi itself

otherwise its a decent gi, just gotta make sure you wash it fast after practice - all the dirt and salt probably weaken the material.

This was my first gi from about 1.5 years ago. Since then I've only owned this gi and a Vulkan. I pretty much really dislike this gi. I still use it every other class so I won't have to do laundry every night, but on the days I use my Vulkan, I'm just kinda thankful. This gi is sooooo heavy, it really feels hot as hell and restrictive(it isn't restrictive, but it feels like it is going to be before you roll in it). The collar is so thick I've been in positions before where my shoulders are bunched up, and just the collar pressure on my neck feels as though I'm going to choke myself out(obviously this is rare, but still, the collar is thick as hell, WAY too thick).

The patches are ripping and faded, but I have rolled in it a lot in 1.5 years. I'm starting to get tearing in the gi in certain places, but it seems sturdy enough that the tearing is just minor and even though it's been there a while, it hasn't really progressed further. It weighs about 2x what my Vulkan weighs(not joking), and I would not recommend this gi to anyone. It cost more than my Vulkan as well, and although it isn't a horrible piece of kit, there's just no reason to ever buy this gi with all the other choices out there.

Wow. In all the platinum reviews I have seen, I have never seen anyone recommend against it.

Wow. In all the platinum reviews I have seen, I have never seen anyone recommend against it.

Yeah, for some reason all the people on this board seem to have a major boner for this gi(that's why I initially bought it). However, most people at my gym (jean jacques machado) are pretty aware of how not great it is. Bottom line is it's just way too thick for my liking. I think Atamas are way better, as are Korals, Vulkans, probably Keikos and Ouanos too. Just my $.02.

I had a gameness platnum (but i lost it), and to be honest, i kindof like the single more.

I like my gameness single a lot, i wear it a lot.

I like my koral a bit more, but the gameness single is 2x cheaper....so i recommend it to anyone.

and gameness might have the best customer service out of ANY company. ANY problem you have, you can go to them....have a problem with your vulkan/koral/keiko/other gis? well you wont get service ANYWHERE near the service you would get from gameness...thats why i think that the company owners are "praised", they are good people.

Yeah, for some reason all the people on this board seem to have a major boner for this gi(that's why I initially bought it). However, most people at my gym (jean jacques machado) are pretty aware of how not great it is. Bottom line is it's just way too thick for my liking. I think Atamas are way better, as are Korals, Vulkans, probably Keikos and Ouanos too. Just my $.02.

because just like atamas used to be before their fucked up price hike... Gameness gis are the best "bang for the buck". Atama golds used to have that crown but now it's the gameness plats.

because just like atamas used to be before their fucked up price hike... Gameness gis are the best "bang for the buck". Atama golds used to have that crown but now it's the gameness plats.

Iono, my Vulkan was cheaper than my gameness, and I like it 1,000 times more. I know there are gi's that are cheaper than the Vulkan(maybe oaunu), so chances are there's an even better deal for the money if you want to look at it that way. Like I said, if gameness was the first gi ever invented, people wouldn't exactly be in a craze to make a better model, but compared to all the great gi's around today(even for the money), I didn't like this gi.

vulcans are 110 for a single same for ounaos.
gameness plats are 120. so for ten dollars you get a much stronger gi.

120? i got mine for 105 off groundandpound, and I think budovideos has it for 109

I like mine gameness platinum but the fucking collar os so damn thick it is not even funny.

yeah we made some gis with a thick gameness type collar because because we seen everyone talking about how wicked thick collars are but really thick collars suck ass. now i'm happy to say gameness type collars are not going to be on our 2nd generation gis that's for sure

thick collar = comfort -1000

Back