First night of BJJ last night (Analysis)

Ballzilla

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wow! I had a lot of fun. I was surprised at how the techniques I was shown all had the same basic movements (sit-up sweep, guillotine from guard and kimura from guard). We also worked on three different escapes from the mount. I can definitely see how it can be addicting to folks and how it can completely consume people. I haven't had a workout like that in quite some time which is really what I am there for. I'm not addicted yet but I am beginning to think about my next training session more and more. I was more surprised that in free rolling I didn't get tired. I felt like I could have rolled all night. I guess those last 2 months in the gym blasting cardio have paid off a bit. Everyone there was really cool and there were no huge egos or meatheads like I expected. I didn't like those guys when I wrestled and I damn sure don't like them now. I'm really looking forward to my next training session. :icon_chee

Keep it up. It's a slow and long process.

If you're really going to do it, it should consume the rest of your life.

Don't read too much out of the cardio aspect. It really depends on the night. You may go in next class and gas in five minutes.

I was going to start a thread about my first class (also last night), but figured I'd just plop it in here as not to annoy.

My first class (Marcelo Garcia Academy) was also awesome. It was no-gi, Paul Schreiner taught it, and it was a blast. I considered myself to be in decent shape, but unlike the TS I was gassed when there was about 10 minutes left in the 1hr class! One of the guys I was rolling with told me I was going all out and that I needed to be more economical with my energy.

I thanked him for the advice.

We formed 3 man teams, and I avoided getting subbed, even though they went through my guard like paper mache. LOL.
I couldn't pass either of their guards (though I didn't expect to).

I know they were going easy on me because when they rolled with each other they were taking the back, finishing triangles and RNCs, etc.

Tonight I'm going back for the Gi class.

enjoy the ride and remember to have fun

I was going to start a thread about my first class (also last night), but figured I'd just plop it in here as not to annoy.

My first class (Marcelo Garcia Academy) was also awesome. It was no-gi, Paul Schreiner taught it, and it was a blast. I considered myself to be in decent shape, but unlike the TS I was gassed when there was about 10 minutes left in the 1hr class! One of the guys I was rolling with told me I was going all out and that I needed to be more economical with my energy.

I thanked him for the advice.

We formed 3 man teams, and I avoided getting subbed, even though they went through my guard like paper mache. LOL.
I couldn't pass either of their guards (though I didn't expect to).

I know they were going easy on me because when they rolled with each other they were taking the back, finishing triangles and RNCs, etc.

Tonight I'm going back for the Gi class.

No gi is a lot more tiring than gi, because it's usually more fast-paced. Glad to hear that you made a decision on an academy and have actually started training! Also glad to hear that you're not limiting yourself to either gi or no gi. Good choices.

No gi is a lot more tiring than gi, because it's usually more fast-paced. Glad to hear that you made a decision on an academy and have actually started training! Also glad to hear that you're not limiting yourself to either gi or no gi. Good choices.

It's good to know Gi training is slower paced, because I don't know how much gas I have after yesterday!

I figure that beginning next week I'll do two Gi classes and one No-gi class.

Thanks for the encouraging words btw.

It's good to know Gi training is slower paced, because I don't know how much gas I have after yesterday!

I figure that beginning next week I'll do two Gi classes and one No-gi class.

Thanks for the encouraging words btw.

I prefer Gi, but I love going to no-gi as well. I have the same schedule as you - 2 gi and 1 no-gi.

You can go slower with the gi on, but there are more attack options available that you can use as well.

I've found that running has helped my cardio some, and rolling does too, swimming is really good for breath control. You want to try to remain calm breathe at a nice constant rate and don't hold it.

Rolling on your first class of BJJ?

It was an option. It wasn't madatory.

Our academy alternates gi and no gi. I happened to have started in the no-gi class last night. It seems my training will allow for 3 days of gi and 2 days of no-gi per week.

No, you're not addicted at all. You just roll and then immediately post on a forum about it. :D

Glad to see your gym has a cool environment.

the only way a 1st day white belt could injure someone is if they are way bigger than someone they are grappling

i just cant see how a 1st day white belt would be able to finish an armbar, to even give him the chance of cranking that shit

the only way a 1st day white belt could injure someone is if they are way bigger than someone they are grappling

i just cant see how a 1st day white belt would be able to finish an armbar, to even give him the chance of cranking that shit

1st day white belt has been training no-gi for quite awhile. :)

Like I said, rolling wasn't madatory. We all sat in a circle and one person got in the middle and rolled with everyone one after another in 60 second intervals. It was a lot of fun.

I can definitely understand the dropout rate being high though. I noticed 3 other folks in there who didn't appear to be having near as much fun as I was having. It was their first day as well. All of them tapped just due to someone being on top of them at some point in time in the night. 2 of them did nothing but groan and complain about how hard this was. 1 of them even made a remark to the instructor that this style of fighting didn't "appear practical in a street application." My instructor smiled. Everyone else just kept doing their thing. Awesome place to train.

No lie, one new guy started in our school and he saw the other guys do gi chokes etc...

When he was rolling, he tried to choke his partner with his belt... No joke..
He was mounted and he hugged the guy on top and pulled him down, passed his left side of his belt over the guys back, grabbed it with his right hand and proceeded to try to wrap the belt around the guys neck....

Right after class I went to Barnes & Noble and bought Jiu Jitsu Univiersity (Saolo).

When I got home I went on mginaction to find some ways to get owned less next time. :icon_lol:

Very addictive.

Back