First night graplling last night.

Chthon

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I grappled for the first time last night and will be going again later on this afternoon. I'll try to keep this in bullet-point style so it's rather brief. But basically, it didn't go too well. Normally training sessions are two hours, but I stayed for three and really overworked myself, I actually felt sick on the way home and fell asleep as soon as I lied down.

- Captain Zeus (that's his name, for real) said I was just trying to muscle everyone around instead of trying to find leverage points. I'm still not too sure what that means.

- He also said that I was moving around too much. I was trying to control his wrists but he said that wouldn't get me anywhere. And I apparently was trying to stand up a lot which let him sweep me easily.

- I trained in bare feet and now the tops of my toes and feet are really sore. Should I wear training shoes today?

- The insides of my biceps have these brown spots on them that looks like small bruises, but nobody touches my biceps yesterday. Is that a result of me overworking myself?

- I got my friend's Alex's back easily and tried an RNC, I had the hooks in but it didn't actually do anything. The choke was on his neck but he just sat their and waited it out. What exactly was I missing?

Any advice you guys could give would be a big help.

Chthon said:
I grappled for the first time last night and will be going again later on this afternoon. I'll try to keep this in bullet-point style so it's rather brief. But basically, it didn't go too well. Normally training sessions are two hours, but I stayed for three and really overworked myself, I actually felt sick on the way home and fell asleep as soon as I lied down.

- Captain Zeus (that's his name, for real) said I was just trying to muscle everyone around instead of trying to find leverage points. I'm still not too sure what that means.

- He also said that I was moving around too much. I was trying to control his wrists but he said that wouldn't get me anywhere. And I apparently was trying to stand up a lot which let him sweep me easily.

- I trained in bare feet and now the tops of my toes and feet are really sore. Should I wear training shoes today?

- The insides of my biceps have these brown spots on them that looks like small bruises, but nobody touches my biceps yesterday. Is that a result of me overworking myself?

- I got my friend's Alex's back easily and tried an RNC, I had the hooks in but it didn't actually do anything. The choke was on his neck but he just sat their and waited it out. What exactly was I missing?

Sounds like you had a good 1st class. Overdid it maybe.

The leverage points will come, just takes time.
Stay bare feet, they will toughen up and the bicep bruises will happen occasionally. Not sure why the bruises but it happens.

If you are sore today, just focus on the technique and don't make it a physical session.

What type of grappling are you doing?

Chthon said:

Small random bruises all over your body are normal. Especially your biceps.. You'll get them from the slightest pinch and not even know about it. As far as you feeling really tired and sick, you already said it yourself - You overworked yourself. if you are not used to training or your cardio is down, gradually bring yourself up. Jump some rope when you get a chance and run a mile or two a few times a week.

As far as the RNC goes, you didn't have it applied correctly - Otherwise he would not just wait it out. he possibly had his chin tucked in. I don't know, I wasn't there - But nobody waits out a RNC, that's the truth.

As far as moving around too much, I guess he felt you were using too much energy. It's what we call a spaz. Basically using more energy than you need to and trying to hop and jump around more than you need to. This will level itself out when your technique improves and you spend more time on the mat.

Never judge anything after your first lesson. Come back in 2 or 3 months after you've been grappling for the duration of that time and re-read your post. You'll be able to answer your own questions.

Another peice of advice for grappling.

When training as a beginner, try as hard as you can to not be physical. Really focus on learning your technique. Working your tech and not forcing all the time will give you an edge on others.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've been doing striking consistently for over a year, but the gym moved recently and I haven't been keeping up with my jumping rope and sprinting and all that for two weeks. Can my cardio really have dropped in just two weeks? Or maybe I was just really spazzing out.

As for the grappling, it's aimed at MMA. He's not letting me add any striking into it yet but it's no gi, BJJ and amateur wrestling techniques. Coach also knows some Sambo stuff as well.

Chthon said:
Thanks for the advice guys. I've been doing striking consistently for over a year, but the gym moved recently and I haven't been keeping up with my jumping rope and sprinting and all that for two weeks. Can my cardio really have dropped in just two weeks? Or maybe I was just really spazzing out.

As for the grappling, it's aimed at MMA. He's not letting me add any striking into it yet but it's no gi, BJJ and amateur wrestling techniques. Coach also knows some Sambo stuff as well.

Using alot more anaerobic energy in grappling. But if your aerobic was good in striking, it won't take long to adapt.

- what he meant was try to concentrate on using technique no matter how little of it you know right now rather then using your strength (this is common for new people though)

- don't be overly aggressive ... meaning when your in your guard or something relax, wait for the opportunity then explode

- i wouldn't wear shoes you gotta get used to it or wear shoes all the time

- you are getting those bruises because you've never grappled before and your body is not used to it if you train consistently for about 3 months you'll stop getting them

- you probably just didn't do the choke right (ask your instructor how to do it correctly) or maybe he was just blocking it with his chin and you didn't notice

if you lasted 3 hours on your first day you did good just keep at it you'll see a lot of improvement soon

Take notes, man. Take notes with a pad and pencil and in the days with no class, show a friend of yours the moves you were taught exactly like how the instructor showed you. Because teaching is the best of learning and by teaching over and over again you will get this stuff down like a science. Good luck!

don't worry man, muscling stuff and spending too much energy is natural the first time you roll. in fact, i was spazzing out so much at my first class that halfway through i jogged over to the bathroom and barfed my guts up. so you aren't doing too bad with it. :D

as far as the random injuries, i always love wondering where a particular nick, bruise, or general stiffness came from the next day. mat burn stings, especially on the sensitive parts of your feet, but you won't get as much of it as time goes on.

like j'ob and alex said, you mustn't have had the choke sunk or something. when you wind up in a RNC yourself you'll see how nobody can wait it out.

If your feet are hurting then wear some shoes some times until they heal (Like if you rub your foot or toes across them mats and its tears the skin off, wear shoes or simply if u have bad feet wear them. And Ya I knwo what you mean about muscling my way out of everything thats what I used 2 do, now I can just pretty much sit and relax when someone is in my guard. It will come in time when you learn new things.

Seems like a normal first class.
- listen to the coach
- focus on the basics
- don't try crazy shit
- your body (toes and shit) will get use to rolling, takes about 1 week
- stay calm and loose, don't tense up

BJJ is more like a marathon than a sprint, your body will adapt soon enough

Ok, today was the second day and went much smoother.

We started off with some side mount positioning and movement, which I really didn't do well at all first. I did get much better at breaking falls and shrimping today, though. Then we spent about 20 minutes learning the various tricks with - surprise - an RNC. We learned about getting the hooks in, rolling someone who's turtling, and how to actually do the choke correctly. So we had to sit there and let each other choke each other, wasn't the most pleasant feeling in the world.

We started free rolling at the end, the guy who I tried to RNC the other day tapped me out with one today, but second time I put him in side mount without muscling and felt fine. He has about 20 pounds on me and I don't know any subs from that position, but I was able to hold him in it for the entire round and I didn't feel tired (he did).

I rolled with another guy closer to my size whose pretty good, he tapped me out a few times with really basic holds. I learned that shooting in for a takedown isn't of much use if the guys pulls guard on you, I didn't even know you could do that many subs from there. He got me in side mount and I did a sloppy reversal and just held him in it for another round.

The last guy was about 190 (i'm 145) and had experience before, but at that point we were both tired and slippery so when he pulled guard on me he couldn't actually do any subs. I figured out that if I could keep my head down and keeps my arms inside his on his chest then it made it harder for him to do stuff.

I also don't feel that bad either, sparring in striking tends to leave me more exhausted then I am today so I think i'm starting to figure out that forcing guys down doesn't work. Today was a good day, I just wish I actually knew how to do something other than an RNC now.

Chthon said:

You're not used to grappling, so you're probably moving very inefficiently. Subconciously over time you'll figure out how to use less and less energy when moving/doing techniques. That's why guys who are out of shape but very experienced don't seem to get tired.

Yeah man that all sounds normal, after my first day i wanted to quit. I was so exhausted i almost puked, the next day i could barley move, and i had bruises and sore spots all over my entire body. My first class i went as hard as i could against the first guy i wrestled and basicaly just layed underneath everyone else for the last half of class i was so tired. Just go half speed, save your energy and focus on doing things right. It will come to you, ive been rolling for about 3 months and i still suck, but i dont dread going to class or anything. For my first month or so i didnt like to go to class because i was so out of shape i would just gas and get beat up for a hour or so. After you get past that and learn some basics you will start to enjoy it alot more, and your body wont hurt as much. Good luck man. Stick with it trust me, take it from someone who wanted to quit after just one day, you will start to like it and enjoy going.

Chthon said:

It's amazing how quickly fitness levels will drop when you stop doing exercise, but if you've only had a break for 2 weeks it shouldn't make a huge difference. Probably has more to do with your technique than fitness level, but as you get better at grappling you'll use less and less energy to do the same things

Chthon said:

To my experience, the condition required for grappling differs a little from that of standing up, ie it will not transfer to the same level on the gorund.

most important thing dont forget to shower!

Chthon said:

Good job, I hope you're enjoying it.

A few quick sidenotes. Striking and grappling both use different sets of muscles. That explains why, the minute the fight hits the ground, you get tired, quicker.

I did Taekwondo five years. But the minute I tried BJJ and went to the ground, none of the muscles that I strengthened during TKD worked. So, essentially, you have to re-work all your cardio for grappling.

Here's another piece of advice I like to give beginners and it sounds so basic, but don't think I'm making fun. BREATHE! I can't tell you how many beginners I see who hold their breath when they go for moves. Not only is that a telegraph, but it's also depriving those muscles of oxygen and you will get tired much quicker...

Back