first muay thai smoker

ironkhan57

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

this was my first muay thai smoker, i wasn't happy with my performance, it was suppose to be like a spar really except similar to a real fight, any advice or tips is really appreciated. aparently my instructors said i did good but i didn't think so.

Couple things:

1) The idea that smokers are "just like sparring" is like... not a joke trainers tell on you, but it might as well be one. It's like a 'fight-lite'.

2) You did fine for you. The guy you were fighting had several more years experience and had been in the ring a lot before. He was slightly out of your league and you still did totally fine.

Basically: Looked like fun, you did fine and learned a ton. Also the guy you were fighting was hella cool he took it easy on you so you could learn.

Is this on the east coast? You guys have really relaxed smokers out there.

Are you the guy in the headgear?

this really did seem like a spar (intensity-wise), so that was good.

i dont think they matched you with someone on the same level, but he took it light so w.e.

for advice: he controlled the center the entire time. and if you're the one on the outside, you need to switch up your movement; you always circled left, so it was easy for him to predict you and let off his offense (particularly his rear roundhouse which you were circling into)

gj man

Looked like fun. It's real tough sparring against someone with more experience who ALSO has got the physical advantages (longer, with more reach in this case). I know M-T guys don't move around as much as us karate-folk, but the thing I'd work on if I was you was my footwork - being able to get the inside position so you can get off your shots is one of the keys to beating bigger guys.

Seems controlled which is okay. I'm guessing they told him to keep it controlled since he's from your coach's old gym.
Like we've been saying in the previous threads, despite being labelled as "hard sparring", nerves, adrenaline surging, it ends up being a real fight, esp. for newer guys.
  • You get out the corner fast, so thats good.
  • You telegraph alot. You move around, but before you initiate an attack, you stop dead in your tracks, then a beat later you throw.
  • You need to retaliate ASAP, even if you think the strike is weak, jump the gun. The issue with getting hit, and thinking "ah shit, strike isn't perfect, I'll start again next one", is that you let your opponent knows that there is no penalty, and they'll continue going to town on you. Not to mention "next time" almost never happens with that train of though. Make him pay for hitting you. When you get more advanced, and when he kicks you, sweep and dump him, that's a good deterrent then. For now, retaliate with combinations. 2 simple ones: You get hit with a leg kick, counter with 2,3,kick. You get hit with punches: leg kick, 3,2. On this one, you need to be solid and firm, so if you get punched during the kick you won't be off balance. When you get better, you can interrupt punches with punches.
  • Throw more combinations, you just need to drill it more until its muscle memory. You probably throw alot more in sparring, but in here you threw alot of single shots, you just need more time drilling combos. My first 2 exhibitions were like that, I just didn't have enough repetitions in. 3rd exhibition + 1st fight onwards, combos became natural, and I was throwing them out of instinct. Even on drilling, when I get hit with something, a combo shoots back in retaliation.
  • Clinching. Don't let them push your head down easily. You may have been gassed by then, I don't know. But keep your head up. You did keep yourself jock-to-jock (prevent getting hit with straight knees) so thats good.
  • You back up alot. In the US of A ring control is a criteria in the judging decision. For some strange reason, combat sports in America has some obsession with it. Its the only place in the world where you can rock your opponent and be dominant while backing up, but still lose your fight because of it (it is tied with aggression -- another criteria). In ammy, its uncommon for KOs to happen, sometimes TKOs, but alot of times it goes to a decision. You do not want to be the one backing up and losing on that criteria
  • You tend to throw the same single inside leg kick, your opponent got wise to it near the end of the 1st. At your stage, don't lead with kicks, set it up from a combo. eg. 1,2,3,kick. and sell the punches well
  • Your opponent is taller than you, that means he controls 2/3 ranges: kicking, and clinching. Your ideal range here is punching and boxing distance
  • Hands are a bit low in the 3rd. some posters might give me shit for sticking with a traditional high guard, but when my opponent/sparring partner drops their hands like that, I'm immediately going to start setting up head kicks.
  • Is there a reason you throw more lead left kicks instead of rear (right)? You have more power with your rear leg. You opponent does switch hitting sometimes, but you can still leg kick with your power side, it will just be targeting the inside instead of the outside thigh.
Your instructor said you did good, probably in the context that you didn't freeze, panic, and didn't get injured. Some guys do, you didn't, so that is good.
You're very new to competing in combat sports, so no one's going to expect a highlight reel victory. This is an exhibition match, its a test for you to see what a sanctioned ammy fight has to offer. If I were coaching, I'd see it the same way, I wouldn't expect you (or a fresh fighter) to clean house.

Overall, despite this, it takes stones to step up, good job for doing so. Train with these points in mind (and from the other posters, as well with what your coach provides) during your next camp, and hopefully you'll do better.

Last edited:
Seems controlled which is okay. I'm guessing they told him to keep it controlled since he's from your coach's old gym.
Like we've been saying in the previous threads, despite being labelled as "hard sparring", nerves, adrenaline surging, it ends up being a real fight, esp. for newer guys.
  • You get out the corner fast, so thats good.
  • You telegraph alot. You move around, but before you initiate an attack, you stop dead in your tracks, then a beat later you throw.
  • You need to retaliate ASAP, even if you think the strike is weak, jump the gun. The issue with getting hit, and thinking "ah shit, strike isn't perfect, I'll start again next one", is that you let your opponent know that there is no penalty, and they'll continue going to town on you. Not to mention "next time" almost never happens with that train of though. Make him pay for hitting you. When you get more advanced, and when he kicks you, sweep and dump him, that's a good deterrent then. For now, retaliate with combinations. 2 simple ones: You get hit with a leg kick, counter with 2,3,kick. You get hit with punches: leg kick, 3,2. On this on, you need to be solid and firm, so if you get punched during the kick you won't be off balance. When you get better, you can interrupt punches with punches.
  • Throw more combinations, you just need to drill it more until its muscle memory. You probably throw alot more in sparring, but in here you threw alot of single shots, you just need more time drilling combos. My first 2 exhibitions were like that, I just didn't have enough repetitions in. 3rd exhibition + 1st fight onwards, combos became natural, and I was throwing them out of instinct. Even on dirlling, I get hit with something, a combo shoots back in retaliation.
  • Clinching. Don't let them push your head down easily. You may have been gassed by then, I don't know. But keep your head up. You did keep yourself jock-to-jock (prevent getting hit with straight knees) so thats good.
  • You back up alot. In the US of A ring control is a criteria in the judging decision. For some strange reason, combat sports in America has some obsession with it. Its the only in the world where you can rock your opponent and be dominant while backing up, but still lose your fight because of it (it is tied with aggression -- another criteria). In ammy, its uncommon for KOs to happen, sometimes TKOs, but alot of times it goes to a decision. You do not want to be the one backing up and losing on that criteria
  • You tend to throw the same single inside leg kick, your opponent got wise to it near the end of the 1st. At your stage, don't lead with kicks, set it up from a combo. eg. 1,2,3,kick. and sell the punches well
  • Your opponent is taller than you, that means he controls 2/3 ranges: kicking, and clinching. Your ideal range here is punching and boxing distance
  • Hands are a bit low in the 3rd. some posters might give me shit for sticking with a traditional high guard, but when my opponent/sparring partner drops their hands like that, I'm immediately going to set up head kicks.
  • Is there a reason you throw more lead left kicks instead of rear (right)? You have more power with your rear leg. You opponent does switch hitting sometimes, but you can still leg kick with your power side, it will just be targeting the inside instead of the outside thigh.
Your instructor said you did good, probably in the context that you didn't freeze, panic, and didn't get injured. Some guys do, you didn't so that is good.
You're very new to competing in combat sports, so no one's going to expect a highlight reel victory. This is an exhibition match, its a test for you to see what a sanctioned ammy fight has to offer. If I were coaching, I'd see it the same way, I wouldn't expect you (or a fresh fighter) to clean house.

Overall, despite this, it takes stones to step up, good job for doing so. Train with these points in mind (and from the other posters, as well with what your coach provides) during your next camp, and hopefully you'll do better.

thank you and the reason why i was hitting more left leg kicks was because my left kick is faster but my right kick is more powerful. thank you for the advice i will use it in training, i did get a little nervous in the fight but when i got in the ring, i was just in the zone.

Yeah that was cool. It was inbetween a real fight and a nice sparring session where no one gets hurt.

You did well. Be more aggressive and work your boxing. Seems like you guys are more purist MT with heavy emphasis on kick/knees.

And don't just fall to the ground when he clinches, keep good posture... And if you can't, then just straight up wrestle your way out of it lol.

thank you and the reason why i was hitting more left leg kicks was because my left kick is faster but my right kick is more powerful. thank you for the advice i will use it in training, i did get a little nervous in the fight but when i got in the ring, i was just in the zone.

I'm the same way,
But overall I go through a "rollercoaster". I'm very nervous on week 5, I sometimes think it'd be easier to get into a car crash as I'd have a legit excuse to bail. Then a min later I realize how ridiculous that is. Eventually things cools down. I get nervous again 2 weeks out, thinking I'm not prepared enough, but then sparring that week usually goes well and I'm cooled down again. On the day of the fight I'm fairly calm, even during weigh-ins and the stare down (its my thing, but I always make sure to win the stare-down, I can lose the fight, but not the stare-down, lol). Then when I take my shirt off, wrap up, and start warming up, I get nervous again. When its time to go, and I walk with my coach and cornerman to the ring, its go time, no more nerves at all.

I'm the same way,
But overall I go through a "rollercoaster". I'm very nervous on week 5, I sometimes think it'd be easier to get into a car crash as I'd have a legit excuse to bail. Then a min later I realize how ridiculous that is. Eventually things cools down. I get nervous again 2 weeks out, thinking I'm not prepared enough, but then sparring that week usually goes well and I'm cooled down again. On the day of the fight I'm fairly calm, even during weigh-ins and the stare down (its my thing, but I always make sure to win the stare-down, I can lose the fight, but not the stare-down, lol). Then when I take my shirt off, wrap up, and start warming up, I get nervous again. When its time to go, and I walk with my coach and cornerman to the ring, its go time, no more nerves at all.

yeah, and 1 of my coaches didn't even show up to the fight to corner me or my other team mates, which was really a downer, i'm having another fight in 6 months so i'm going to be more prepared, and i'm going to work on my footwork more, and work on my knees also. i'm going to come back stronger, and hopefully i'll do better in the next fight then i did in the last fight.

i actually saw like something i could use to my advantage in rounds 2 & 3, when he teeped everytime i come in, so i tried to use that to my advantage in it worked a little in my favor.

If you want to fight like a thai, you need to dress like a thai. Thai shorts and no t-shirt.

Just kidding. I dont know if this point has already been done but when he starts punchinh you, dont be afraid to clinch him. Go on there and land a knee instead of trying to cover up or running away.

Keep it up

If you want to fight like a thai, you need to dress like a thai. Thai shorts and no t-shirt.

Just kidding. I dont know if this point has already been done but when he starts punchinh you, dont be afraid to clinch him. Go on there and land a knee instead of trying to cover up or running away.

Keep it up

well he has a longer reach then me, and was more experienced and i tried to clinch in the first round and he litterally rag dolled me. i should work on my clinch the most.

well he has a longer reach then me, and was more experienced and i tried to clinch in the first round and he litterally rag dolled me. i should work on my clinch the most.
Yeah you can work on it in sparring. If he has a longer reach it will help him to move forward while kneeing with his arms extended, but its different if he is throwing punches and you defend/counter with clinch and knee.

Yeah you can work on it in sparring. If he has a longer reach it will help him to move forward while kneeing with his arms extended, but its different if he is throwing punches and you defend/counter with clinch and knee.

i always clinch in sparring when i'm in the corner, but this guy was more experienced then me so he knows how to counter the clinch. hopefully i can get better at the clinch for my next smoker.

i always clinch in sparring when i'm in the corner, but this guy was more experienced then me so he knows how to counter the clinch. hopefully i can get better at the clinch for my next smoker.
well yeah dont clinch too much if the other guy is better in the clinch but definitely do it more in sparring. not only in the corner.

well yeah dont clinch too much if the other guy is better in the clinch but definitely do it more in sparring. not only in the corner.

ok so should i do 123 then clinch knee and push him away?

ok so should i do 123 then clinch knee and push him away?
next time you spar and he is trying a combo, try doing this and step forwards, tie him up in the clinch and then knee him
Dracula-Guard-position-Muay-Thai-986x605.jpg

watch buakaw doing it in the video

I think this is one of the easiest yet very effective defense against punches.

Obviously you should also learn other forms of defense but they take a bit longer to master because you will need good timing and distance control, which comes with time . Like blocking/dodging and countering with your own punch. Or teeping him away when he tries to punch you. Or countering punches with a mid kick or kick to the arms. All great techniques that dont require you to run and lose your opportunity to counter with your own attack.

Last edited:
Back