First Muay Thai Smoker...

ur gonna fight at fairtex?? cool some guys from my gym r going too i might be there

VoLTesV said:
no elbows...the chest protector is required due to some legal reasons so yea...too bad.
throwing knees to the body won't hurt as much so probably gonna throw knees to the legs in the clinch.

you know, i'm just gonna throw out my gameplan out in here and see what you guys think of it.

i have a pretty decent and strong high right kick. so i was thinking of trying to use legkick combos in the first. and repeat in the second rd. and towards the end of the round i'm gonna set up and go for a right head kick.

any advice on how to set up a high right kick? i was thinking of jabbing some then throwing it...or going for the body and then the head (but then again body shots might not hurt due to chest protectors).

edit...you know what forget the gameplan hahhaa. it's probably gonna go to shit anyways when i'm in there.

Well..if youve got some good leg kicks then soften your opponent up with those..Jabs and leg kicks open up alot of other oppurtunities. Eventually he's going to have to defend the leg kicks which might open up a high right kick. My adivice is to go for the inside thigh. Hit that big main artery on the inside of the thigh with leg kicks..his leg will turn to jello and open up on him up top with some good combos and knees.

VoLTesV said:
anyone know where the term 'smoker' was derived from? i remember hearing the story but forgot how it went.
I know in fraternities it refers to get-togethers where people would socialize and smoke cigars. No idea if ANY of that applies here.

Fairtex is the only school in SF that makes you wear chest protectors during smokers. FNF and Team USA go with head, shin, and gloves only.

However, Fairtex is the only school in SF that has wins and losses for their smokers, which is kinda cool. So shots to the body count as points, even if the protectors decrease the effectiveness.

I've also noticed that Fairtex beginners tend to come out strong in the first round and eventually gas out. In my limited experience, judges are swayed in the first and last 30 secs of each round.

Protect your head. Stay relaxed. And it's only a smoker (which can still be nerve wracking), but it's not like an amateur or pro fight where the skill level really rises. Remember, it's only a smoker.

I'll probably be at your smoker (I go to most of them to support Team USA). If you fight one of our fighters, watch for the fakes (feints, setup moves).

SaltyBalls420 said:
Fairtex is the only school in SF that makes you wear chest protectors during smokers. FNF and Team USA go with head, shin, and gloves only.

However, Fairtex is the only school in SF that has wins and losses for their smokers, which is kinda cool. So shots to the body count as points, even if the protectors decrease the effectiveness.

I've also noticed that Fairtex beginners tend to come out strong in the first round and eventually gas out. In my limited experience, judges are swayed in the first and last 30 secs of each round.

Protect your head. Stay relaxed. And it's only a smoker (which can still be nerve wracking), but it's not like an amateur or pro fight where the skill level really rises. Remember, it's only a smoker.

I'll probably be at your smoker (I go to most of them to support Team USA). If you fight one of our fighters, watch for the fakes (feints, setup moves).

thanks for the tips. I'll be one of the few 140lbs fighter that day. Were you at the last one? I was supporting some of the guys from fairtex last time. I don't really remember seeing Team USA at the last one though.

cool, I might be going or fighting there. I fought in the last one, if anyone was there I was the dude with the white shorts and blue flames at 154. Where do you train?

1) Relax do not go in with all your nerves tensing up your body...its for fun
2) Get your cardio up (seen any smokers? see how many folks gas out?)
3) Keep your guard up
4) Use punches into his cover guard...step back and leg kick....if you see him drop his hands every time you do this combo in rds 1 & 2 you know by the time the punches& high kick combo in #3 comes he will drop his guard expecting the leg
5) Relax...it is fun remember

..Make sure to have a song before you go out..listen to something that'll get you pumped..as for your high roundhouse throw..Neb to the ropes..punch combo..inside leg kick with left..then roundhouse..good luck bro..I should be comepeting for world team soon..

Smokers always require gear because otherwise it needs to be overseen by the commission in the state. Since most people don't want to mess with licenses and the like, they wear gear.

Really focus on fighting a good fight more than winning. I know winning is what everyone wants to do but a lot of guys are in there swinging for the fences from the get-go as the time is usually short. My first smoker was so huge in helping me stay composed and focused during a 100% spar. It's impossible to train for 100% intensity in the gym. Don't fall apart and stay focused. Keep your hands up and work good technique. You're in there which is more than 99.9% of the population is capable of so just have fun and let your training take over..

really dude? 5 years ago, don't revive the dead

It's good he revived this thread. It contains a lot of useful information for newbies that want to compete soon.

Can anybody else chime in with their experience? Thanks.

Back