First fight

And I gassed...:( Fighting with a mouthpiece definitely takes a little getting used to. Also, I can't see worth a damn without my glasses, so that played some role in taking that pounding that i got in the last round.

Which one were you? Neither guy seemed to be setting up kicks, or working combinations (I only watched the first 90 seconds).

Why do you need a ref if youre sparring and why did it feel like a fight? Sparring is training, its not a fight.

Also, I have those shorts - theyre sick :)

I am the one in killer bee shorts. We were told we were gonna spar, but ended up fighting..:) Remind you guys that neither him, nor I have ever sparred before. So, for first time we weren't too shabby..

Thanks.

lol your gym is crazy, first time you guys sparred some guy gets knocked down and they let him continue?

Vince89, do you know why they let him continue? Cuz he had crazy protection on his head. lol

He was knocked down despite wearing headgear, that tells me that he took a big shot and possibly should have stopped.

Its not a good thing for a first timer to get knocked about, you want newbies to be confident and relaxed when they spar - not gunshy and worried theyre going to get KTFO.

Besides the hand dropping, and not setting up my punches right, what else do you guys think i should be working on?

Thanks,
Tayyab.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=doZs9-0p384

Tighten up your punches, use the jab, head movement, body work with the hands. When your being rushed stop moving backwards straight upright, your losing your balance and that's when you seem to get hit the most. Instead, keep your base and stay in the pocket or clinch up. You have good kicks, switch up your stance a little more, keeps those kicks from being predictable. Hope this helps...... you looked good!

And I gassed...:( Fighting with a mouthpiece definitely takes a little getting used to. Also, I can't see worth a damn without my glasses, so that played some role in taking that pounding that i got in the last round.

You've been training without a mouthpiece? How does that work?

Lol what kind of backyard brawling bullshit is this? Is that even a real gym?
Get yourself some formal training.

Your head kicks look great! You need to work on your punching, in that last round that guy should have never been able to dominate you like that with your reach advantage. all you had to do was throw a jab, and it would have totally stopped his attacks, instead you were looping your punches. Work on your boxing, and get a better opponent.

I train in J.K.D, and I have trained for 2.5 years off and on. See, it is quite different from someone just doing strictly muay thai, cuz we study so many different arts. I have done drills and we have done level 3-4 sparring may be once or twice, but nothing more than that. And i guess that reflects in my sparring. We don't wear mouth pieces when doing drills.

Thanks.

You should wear a mouth piece, but it's up to you! I chipped a tooth, just messing around, luckliy it wasn't severe but it taught me to wear a mouth piece. Dental work is painful and expensive!

I train in J.K.D, and I have trained for 2.5 years off and on. See, it is quite different from someone just doing strictly muay thai, cuz we study so many different arts. I have done drills and we have done level 3-4 sparring may be once or twice, but nothing more than that. And i guess that reflects in my sparring. We don't wear mouth pieces when doing drills.

Thanks.

If you do J.K.D. why is your YouTube user name MuayThai4Life?

hey not too bad ive had worse cause i didnt have a mouthpeice. Its different when its your first time.

I am the one in killer bee shorts. We were told we were gonna spar, but ended up fighting.. Remind you guys that neither him, nor I have ever sparred before. So, for first time we weren't too shabby..

Thanks.

First time in 2.5 years of training? To be honest you guys looked like a toughman with kicks. What gym/school is that? curious because it seems VERY odd to me two guys who have never sparred (one training for over 2 years) are suddenly "fighting".

Anytime I step in the ring I put my mouth piece in. Even if we are just doing drills that have a low chance of getting hit in the mouth. #1 I am so used to it, that it feels un-natural to NOT have it. #2 in case some how I do get hit. I am protected.

Thanks.
First the Good - nice rear leg head kicks. for your first sparring session, you got in the ring and put it out there. good for you.

Now the Bad - come on man, where's the footwork? You say you do JKD but what you did was NOT JKD. I've done Jun Fan JKD for over 11 years and the most important aspect of JKD is constant footwork to control the distance, and utilization of the front foot and hand to do 90% of the work. I didn't see any footwork or lead jabs of frequency that resembled JKD. No head and shoulder movement whatsoever. Come on bro, these are JKD basics. I do give you SOME leeway since you say this is your first sparring session. But i should see some semblance of JKD basics from someone who says they train JKD for 2 1/2 years.

Now the Ugly - sparring should not be FIGHTING, but a learning session. I saw or heard no instruction from anyone. The peanut gallery should NOT be squawking like fools egging you guys on like a high school fight. The environment was set up to be more of a beat down than a professional training session.

I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but i'm just trying to be honest. Best in your training.

Back