First fight

Stlnl2, i train under sifu larry rice (dan inosanto's lineage) who trained with vic payne (he has also trained directly under master chai) at smoky mountain camp for years. His muay thai is phenomenal, but i really don't get to learn a whole lot cuz of the students constantly leaving, and new people joining in.

I do j.k.d only and only for the reason that we don't have anyone in my town who does strictly muay thai. Don't take me wrong, i love jeet kune do, but i really have trouble understanding wing chung, and some of the kali/eskrima stuff.

Thanks,
Tayyab.

Stlnl2, i train under sifu larry rice (dan inosanto's lineage) who trained with vic payne (he has also trained directly under master chai) at smoky mountain camp for years. His muay thai is phenomenal, but i really don't get to learn a whole lot cuz of the students constantly leaving, and new people joining in.

I do j.k.d only and only for the reason that we don't have anyone in my town who does strictly muay thai. Don't take me wrong, i love jeet kune do, but i really have trouble understanding wing chung, and some of the kali/eskrima stuff.

Thanks,
Tayyab.

Yeah dont worry it was fine. At least your learning martial arts unlike me.:D

First the Good - nice rear leg head kicks. for your first sparring session, you got in the ring and put it out there. good for you.

Now the Bad - come on man, where's the footwork? You say you do JKD but what you did was NOT JKD. I've done Jun Fan JKD for over 11 years and the most important aspect of JKD is constant footwork to control the distance, and utilization of the front foot and hand to do 90% of the work. I didn't see any footwork or lead jabs of frequency that resembled JKD. No head and shoulder movement whatsoever. Come on bro, these are JKD basics. I do give you SOME leeway since you say this is your first sparring session. But i should see some semblance of JKD basics from someone who says they train JKD for 2 1/2 years.

Now the Ugly - sparring should not be FIGHTING, but a learning session. I saw or heard no instruction from anyone. The peanut gallery should NOT be squawking like fools egging you guys on like a high school fight. The environment was set up to be more of a beat down than a professional training session.

I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but i'm just trying to be honest. Best in your training.

Hey bro,

Thanks for pointing out my weak points. He does emphasize a lot on footwork (triangle, and female triangles, and how to step in and so forth) but see the thing is for the most part i was going in based on seeing where the person is (i can't see shit without my glasses), and i really didn't think of the J.K.D footwork when doing it.

Thanks once again..

Keep the criticism coming guys...

Hey bro,

Thanks for pointing out my weak points. He does emphasize a lot on footwork (triangle, and female triangles, and how to step in and so forth) but see the thing is for the most part i was going in based on seeing where the person is (i can't see shit without my glasses), and i really didn't think of the J.K.D footwork when doing it.

Thanks once again..

Keep the criticism coming guys...
triangle footwork is Kali not JKD. I'm talking about "toe heel sway", "advance", "retreat", "side step left/right", "slide and step advance/retreat", "step and turn", "circle left/right"...these are the things i feel you need to work on. along with utilizing your lead hand, lead leg to do most of the work to set up your rear attacks.

I used to wear glasses, so i understand not seeing well during sparring. I eventually spent the money and got laser surgery on my eyes. Was the best money i ever spent in my life. completely changed everything.

that one rope that made up your makeshift ring was hilarious. Add 2 more and you guys will be good to go.

triangle footwork is Kali not JKD. I'm talking about "toe heel sway", "advance", "retreat", "side step left/right", "slide and step advance/retreat", "step and turn", "circle left/right"...these are the things i feel you need to work on. along with utilizing your lead hand, lead leg to do most of the work to set up your rear attacks.

I used to wear glasses, so i understand not seeing well during sparring. I eventually spent the money and got laser surgery on my eyes. Was the best money i ever spent in my life. completely changed everything.

Chinaboxer, i am familiar with advance n retreat, step and slide, step right, step left, and everything else but when you have someone as big as that dude rushing in. all the steps fly out of the window, or did in my case.. May be i need to do them more, cuz it's one thing to do a drill, and it's another to put everything you have learned over the course of time into your sparring session.

What do you say?

Chinaboxer, i am familiar with advance n retreat, step and slide, step right, step left, and everything else but when you have someone as big as that dude rushing in. all the steps fly out of the window, or did in my case.. May be i need to do them more, cuz it's one thing to do a drill, and it's another to put everything you have learned over the course of time into your sparring session.

What do you say?
I don't blame you, i blame your instructor for putting you in a position where it became a "brawl". He should understand that you and your sparring partner are beginners and should have you focus on drill work.

For instance, you can ONLY lead jab, while your partner can ONLY use his lead leg, do this for 3 mins, then have you switch. When you do these types of drills, you begin to learn HOW to use that lead jab in conjunction with good footwork or else you won't be able to land a punch. Or how to use the lead leg in conjunction with good footwork to keep him away. These drills are endless and I could go on but you understand. This way you both can sharpen your skills rather than wasting training time.

Over a period of time of doing such drills, you both will become comfortable in the ring. Only then should you guys be doing full contact sparring. But that's just my opinion.

I don't blame you, i blame your instructor for putting you in a position where it became a "brawl". He should understand that you and your sparring partner are beginners and should have you focus on drill work.

For instance, you can ONLY lead jab, while your partner can ONLY use his lead leg, do this for 3 mins, then have you switch. When you do these types of drills, you begin to learn HOW to use that lead jab in conjunction with good footwork or else you won't be able to land a punch. Or how to use the lead leg in conjunction with good footwork to keep him away. These drills are endless and I could go on but you understand. This way you both can sharpen your skills rather than wasting training time.

Over a period of time of doing such drills, you both will become comfortable in the ring. Only then should you guys be doing full contact sparring. But that's just my opinion.

Makes sense! Thanks.

That was a fight? Damn, I guess I fight every week then....

Good head kicks man, you connected with more head kicks in your first fight than I have in all my fights put together , so your ability to land the high kick is definitely good.

On the bad side you really need to work on your boxing and foot work, alot.

Also it's completely normal to loose a lot of your skills under the pressure of a real fight, that's why people need fight experience to learn to apply there skills in a real life high stress situation, the more fights you have the smaller the difference will become between the skills you can use in training and the skills you can use in a fight.

Good head kicks man, you connected with more head kicks in your first fight than I have in all my fights put together , so your ability to land the high kick is definitely good.

On the bad side you really need to work on your boxing and foot work, alot.

Also it's completely normal to loose a lot of your skills under the pressure of a real fight, that's why people need fight experience to learn to apply there skills in a real life high stress situation, the more fights you have the smaller the difference will become between the skills you can use in training and the skills you can use in a fight.

Thanks! I didn't know i made those mistakes until i watched the footage. I am gonna work on my weak points and come back strong. :) Thank you all!

Neither of you seemed to have a gaurd, and after the first knockdown you both seemed to just want to knock eachother out lol.

was messy, i guess you kicked ok, but both your stances looked long for me and someone could have really went to down on your lead legs.

if that was sparing then i hate to say it but the gym is pretty crappy, i bet you both learned a whole lot of nothing other then who can take a better punch or kick :p

I hate to sound negative, but that looked like some elaborate backyard brawling crap. That is not a legitamate boxing/MT school, and with that ground/ropes, safety wasn't a concern. Sparring and fighting are not the same thing. You didn't look that bad, but I suggest finding a new gym, preferably one with an actual ring and heavy bags.

We rent that room from a local gym for two days. As you can see there is hardly any equipment in that room, and everyone brings there own gear. We have more new students than advance, or even intermediate level.

Thanks.

footwork needs help, you back up with hands down is not good, and thats why you ate shots, you also gassed because of how stiff and randomly full force you were those strange stiff kicks. just my thoughts on the fight.

also if you sparring your sparring there shouldnt be people screaming knock him out and if your fighting you shouldnt have protective gear on

Back