First fight coming up. How to train in the last week?

PutDaCream

NO BELT
Reaction score
Hi guys!
Got my first MMA fight in a week, and i don't know if i should do some kind of tappering (reduce the time, increase the intensity) during the last week. Should i quit the weights? Or should i continue with my regular training?
Any thoughts are welcome.

Haven't fought in MMA yet, but what I would do is knock off the lifting the last week. I've trained with a couple of guys that were making their MMA debu, and if I remember correctly, we didn't do any hard sparring like 3-4 days before the fight. One guy won by decision and the other guy dislocated his opponent's shoulder. Ask your trainer/coach for advise, I would just keep up the cardio and get some rest the last couple of days. Have fun with your fight.

..your one week away from fighting. ALl your hardwork and intense training is past you (Or i should hope that you trained your ass off) Your in the stage of tapering where no weight training should be done. THe last 3 days you should practically do nothing...work on technical stuff...light grappling or workouts on the focus mits would suffice. The day before the fight he should do nothing and if he feels the need to it should rehearse the warmup that hes goin to use the day of the event.

heres a good site for training for a fight

http://www.grapplearts.com/Tapering-Peaking-Article.htm

Thanks guys. You know, i'm geting a litle nervous here...

Yeah, up till 4 days out you will ahve bee killing yourself. last 2 days have off, in between just get a major sweat on.

Good luck

not that you'll need it, but good luck in your fight. make sure to report back and how it went

PutDaCream said:
Colby18, thanks for the article. It's great.

Hey no problem man...im in the same boat as you and I'm six weeks out from my fight.

Kick some ass in your fight man.

PutDaCream said:
Hi guys!
Got my first MMA fight in a week, and i don't know if i should do some kind of tappering (reduce the time, increase the intensity) during the last week. Should i quit the weights? Or should i continue with my regular training?
Any thoughts are welcome.

Reduce time AND intensity during the last week. On the last three days, you should be doing almost nothing, just very light workouts.

Thank you all guys. I'll be putting the fight on tape and, win or lose, ill put it here. I'm just geting a little anxious, because at first i thought it was a submission fight (that's my business). I only knew it was a MMA fight about a month ago. And right now I'm a week from the fight and i don't know who I'm going to fight, neither the weight division (-165 or -180). The hell with it. I'm going for the K.O. (mine or his).

Back