Fireman's Carry?

Hammer_Fist

Black Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen a fireman's carry done in MMA? I don't think I've ever seen it and I guess I wonder why. (I had an excellent fireman's carry to either side back in high school) What are the dangers of doing a fireman's carry while in the clinch. I imagine if you did it sloppy you could get armbarred with the overhook arm, but if you did it fast enough they wouldn't have the time. I would also understand that if you didn't get it you could possibly give up your back. However if you hit a fireman's carry you would end up in side mount and could possibly roll right into full mount.

What are your opinions?

I believe Homer" the Rock " Moore executed a fireman's in MMA.
The dangers? Knees to the face, exposing your head/neck/back to strikes.
That being said I think the Fireman's is an excellent counter to a prawl after a shot attempt, what do the wrestlers here think? (I've only ever pulled it off with the Gi)

Also, you'd think you would see more "dumps." A dump, or near side dump is similar to a fireman's carry, but you grab the opposite leg, usually after a failed firemans carry, sit out on your hip and dump the leg over. It is really effective if you're good at it. You don't see either of those take downs in MMA, but I think they're very effective. I can regularly hit both against my rolling partners who train in Jiu Jitsu and don't have wrestling backrounds.

great technique , i do it in sparring, not too many guys expect it

watch what happens with big daddy vs paul herrera :)

wasnt herrera shooting for a single? he obviously didnt know the escape or how dangerous of a position he was in as well.

teh crucifix in grappling, you can work to get out
on the street, fight is over

^^^see the royler and rickson jiu jitsu demo at pride 5 for an uber-easy escape: make the arm trapped by his legs limp, and move it into a keylock position and pull it out. if youre 1 step ahead of the escape you can submit with a crucifix tho.

I love the fireman's...and it works great at the judo dojo I go to...but you gotta be damned good to pull it off against a REALLY good wrestler. If someone crucifixes you though...escaping is far from impossible...some wrestlers actually set up a fireman's just so they'll be crucifixed...and can basically do a walk-over...into a pin. Although, if a guy's cinching the crucifix, that's tough.

But hey, my coach Don Behm taught me that bait...and he's a silver medalist in the Olympics and a world champ in the veteran's division...so there yah go. Must not be too bad, eh?

Yeah, I use my old fireman's in Judo all the time. I fake uchi mata, and then hit it...

Can anyone maybe correct me on the technique for a fireman's carry? Should I be holding the back of the head or back of the bicep and do I dump to the side or diagonally forward? I've seen big guys just sort of throw people across their shoulders but I've also seen some guys turn at their hips and dump the guy diagonally so I am curious which one is the correct way.

Superbeast said:
Can anyone maybe correct me on the technique for a fireman's carry? Should I be holding the back of the head or back of the bicep and do I dump to the side or diagonally forward? I've seen big guys just sort of throw people across their shoulders but I've also seen some guys turn at their hips and dump the guy diagonally so I am curious which one is the correct way.

What I do is give the guy the underhook/take the overhook...then, in as close to one motion as you can make it fall to one knee and high-crotch him with your free hand or shoot your free hand between his legs...and basically just fall right onto your side(the side you are overhooking with, of course)...just fall as quick and forcefully as you can...

Works for me(especially in judo).

I had a pretty mean fireman's carry back in high school and I hit it something like 55 times my senior year. The way I did it in wrestling, and the way I do it MMA are similar.

I would tie up in wrestling, (Right hand on back of neck, left hand on back of tricep) Then I would snap the guy's head down really hard. Their natural reaction would be to pull their head back up. As soon as they pulled their head back up I would release my right hand and shoot with my right hand to their right leg. The next step is key. With my left hand on their tricep I would pull down hard and tight to my body. This would get my opponent's balance off, and I would basically have their entire torso on my shoulders. Then I would just roll on my left hip, pull the arm down and kinda throw their right leg over. It's a hard move to learn, and even a harder move to put into words, but if you get it right it's very effective.

I worked on my fireman's all through high school and only during my senior year was I able to hit it consistently. Now I have it stashed away deep in my pocket for MMA. People who aren't wrestlers have very little defense against it.

A fireman's carry can work, but it has to be near perfect and FAST, or a counter will be there, but the same holds true for college wrestling. I've had fighters shoot in for it and I've gotten takedowns b/c they were not preffecient enough or maybe because I wrestled in college(Old DOminion University) I just know the signs and defenses.

Pale1 said:
A fireman's carry can work, but it has to be near perfect and FAST, or a counter will be there, but the same holds true for college wrestling. I've had fighters shoot in for it and I've gotten takedowns b/c they were not preffecient enough or maybe because I wrestled in college(Old DOminion University) I just know the signs and defenses.

Well, a failed fireman's can always turn into a high-crotch...or, if you're strong enough to free the arm you overhooked with, a nice single. But yeah, at high levels--of wrestling--fireman's are TOUGH to pull.

People have involuntary twitching as they think back to the Goodridge v Herrera fight when thinking about doing a firemans carry in MMA. The remote possibility of ending up on the wrong side of that beating makes most people quiver at the very thought of attempting this technique.

i tried a firemans carry one time and got armbarred

Back