Fire in the Sky. Very interesting UFO mystery. What do you think really happened?

I said it gives me pause. Not that it completely discredits the theory of it being true. It also doesn't mean that because I think that scenario raises questions, I have to accept, or even lend an ounce of validity to your alternative theory. I think your theory is nearly as ridiculous as an actual alien abduction. Deal with it.

Type "Occams Razor" again. I dare you. I double-dare you, motherfucker.

Jesus. Somebody learned a new term this month.

I'm well aware of what you were doing. No need for the play-by-play breakdown.

LOL. Internet rage! Really!? I'm sorry, I had been mistakenly under the assumption I was debating with an adult.

I love that anything "aliens" has such a huge cult following in America..

This stuff has been loved for a long ass time now. Roswell, Men from outer space, early Sci Fi comics for kids... Its been apart of popular culture for some time now...

Personally I love aliens and abduction stories.

Me too! I just don't believe them. You know how some people love the Renaissance so once a year they go to the Renaissance Fair and the pretend they really are living in the Renaissance? If they can't get enough of it they might join some live action role play group and continue their fantasy through out the year? I feel like that is what happened with science fiction. Some people loved it so much that they pretended it was real, only it didn't end after the festival, they just kept going. But it is fun to suspend skepticism for a little bit and just say, "What if?"

Anyway, to get the true story, you need to just kind of follow the origins of the stories and you kind of see what happened.

Stage 1: Three big things happened in the 1890's.

1. science fiction became a popular new art form including the modern classic "War of the Worlds" about Martians trying to conquer Earth.

2. an Italian astronomer said that through a telescope he saw "canales" on Mars, which got later misinterpreted to Canals which implied "intelligently made," when what he really meant was "water channels." In either case he was wrong, but it set off a buzz.

3. The beginning of Yellow Journalism. Today we just call it tabloids. But this was the beginning of it. The Eastern Newspapers were competing with the Western Newspapers. Both discovered at nearly the same time that sensational stories, whether true or not, sold the most newspapers and as long as you claimed they were true, people bought them. One of the most popular stories was about seeing "airships." Today you will still see these airships brought up in UFO documentaries. But it was 95% Yellow Journalism (made up stories). Was it based off some original actual sightings? I actually hypothesize yes, but not of UFOs. See people will often claim the 1890's was before the airplane, so there was nothing in the sky. But that's not completely accurate. Hot airballoons were already invented. The blimp had already been invented (though were quite rare). More importantly, the 1890's is when the Zepplin was invented. Throughout the 1890's their were various companies competing to be the first to fly the Zepplin. Of course, you don't just send people up in it, you do some test runs. They kept these test runs very secret, but every so often they'd fly a Zepplin a few hundred feet straight up. Certainly people saw these and said, "What the heck are those." And indeed, when you here the descriptions of Airships, they don't say laser fast saucers. They say cylinder shaped balloons. They were seeing Zepplin protogypes.

Stage 2: Happened in the 1940's, and I'm more than happy to explain the cultural shifts that allowed that to happen as well if anyone is interested. But I'm guessing people will look at this first post and say TLDR.

Back