Fire in the Sky. Very interesting UFO mystery. What do you think really happened?

Kick Strickland

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just rewatched FITS. Got interested and looked up the story on wikipedia. And wow this is a very interesting mystery.

First off, the part everyone remembers about Fire in the Sky is what happens inside the UFO. It was freaky as hell. But it didn't happen that way at all. The movie studio decided to change that shit so much that the screenwriter actually sent out letters apologizing to the UFO investigation community. What Travis Walton said actually happened inside the UFO was completely different than was shown in the movie. But hey it was 1993 and that was before audiences wanted some realism in their movies. Imo the actual account is WAY more interesting than the movie version. This is his account from wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travis_Walton_(UFO_witness)

vlcsnap-2012-06-24-22h28m38s78.png

===============================================

Walton reported that after approaching the UFO near the work site, he heard the spacecraft make a low rumbling sound that sent a powerful wave of vibrations throughout the entire area. The last thing he remembered was being struck by a bright, blinding beam of light. When he woke, Walton said he was in a very small, cramped room on a flat reclined bed, like an operating table. Another bright light shone above him, and the air was heavy and humid. He was also in a lot of pain, and had some trouble breathing, but his first thought was that he was in a normal hospital.

As his faculties returned, Walton says when he came to his senses, he realized he was surrounded by three strange figures that he immediately knew upon observing them, were not human, but humanoid creatures. Each was wearing an orangish brown jumpsuit of a soft material with no seams or buttons. Walton described the beings as the typical so-called Greys which feature in many abduction accounts: "shorter than five feet, and they had completely smooth, bald heads, with no body hair, and their hands had no fingernails. Their heads were domed, very large and disproportionate. They looked like fetuses. They had large eyes —enormous eyes— almost all dark brown, without much white in them. The creepiest thing about them were those eyes, they just stared through me." Their ears, noses and mouths "seemed real small, maybe just because their eyes were so huge."

Walton related that he feared for his safety and got to his feet. Terrified, he shouted at the creatures to stay away. As they moved towards him he grabbed a glass-like cylinder object from a nearby shelf and tried to break its tip to create a makeshift knife, but found the object unbreakable, so instead waved it at the creatures as a weapon. The trio of creatures, seeing Walton had become violent, quickly fled and left him alone in the room.

Matheson finds this portion of the narrative troublingly inconsistent, noting that "despite his 'weakened' condition, 'aching body' and 'splitting pain in his skull', maladies or which no cause is suggested, he has no trouble jumping up from his operating table, seizing a conveniently placed glass-like rod, and, assuming a karate 'fighting stance', frightened them with this display of macho aggression, enough at least to cause them to run away." :icon_lol:

Walton then left the "exam room" via a long, narrow hallway, which led to a spherical room with only a high-backed chair placed in the center of the room. Though he was afraid there might be someone seated in the chair, Walton says he walked towards it. As he did, lights began to appear in the room. The chair was empty, so Walton says he sat in it. When he did, the room was suddenly filled with lights, similar to stars projected on a round planetarium ceiling and the floor under him seemed to vanish, making it appear as if he was floating in space.

The chair was equipped on the left arm with a single short thick lever with an oddly shaped molded handle atop some dark brown material. On the right arm, there was an illuminated, lime-green screen about five inches square with black lines intersected at all angles.

When Walton pushed the lever, he reported that the stars rotated around him slowly. When he released the lever, the stars remained at their new position. He decided to stop manipulating the lever, since he had no idea what it might do.

He left the chair, and the stars disappeared. Walton thought he had seen a rectangular outline on the rounded wall— perhaps a door— and went to look for it.

Just then, Walton heard a sound behind him. He turned, expecting more of the short, large eyed creatures, but was pleasantly surprised to see a tall being, representing a tall human about six feet, two inches in height. He was extremely muscular and evenly proportioned. He appeared to weigh about two hundred pounds. He was wearing blue coveralls, his feet were covered with black boots, a black band or belt wrapped around his middle. He carried no tools or weapons on his belt or in his hands; no insignia marked his clothing. However, he did wear a glassy round helmet on his head. At the time, Walton said, he did not realize how odd the man's eyes were: larger than normal, and a bright golden in colour.

Walton says he then asked the man a number of questions, but the man only grinned and motioned for Walton to follow him. Walton also said that because of the man's helmet he might have been unable to hear him, so he followed the man down a hallway which led to a door and a steep ramp down to a large room Walton described as similar to an aircraft hangar. Walton says he realized he had just left a disc-shaped craft similar to the one he had seen in the forest just before he had been struck by the beam of light, but the craft was perhaps twice as large.

In the hangar-like room, Walton reported seeing other disc-shaped craft. The man led him to another room, containing three more human like beings— a woman and two men— resembling the helmeted man. These people did not wear glass helmets, so Walton says he began asking them questions. They responded with the same dull grin, and gently led him by his arm to a small table.

Once he was seated on the table, Walton says he realized the woman held a device like an oxygen mask, only there were no tubes connected to it. The only thing attached to it was a small black golfball-sized sphere. She placed the mask on his face. Before he could fight back, Walton says everything went black and he immediately passed out.

fire-in-sky-20.jpg

When he woke again, Walton says he was outside the gas station in Heber, Arizona. One of the disc-shaped craft was hovering just above the highway. After a moment, the craft shot away, and Walton stumbled to the telephones and called his brother-in-law, Grant Neff. He thought that only a few hours had passed.

After hearing Walton's story, Gillespie speculated that Walton may have been hit on the head and drugged, then taken to a normal hospital where he had confused the details of a routine exam with something more spectacular. Walton dismissed this, noting that the medical examination had found no trace of head trauma or drugs in his system. Walton told Sheriff Gillespie that he was willing to take a polygraph, a truth serum, or undergo hypnosis to support his account. Gillespie said that a polygraph would suffice, and he promised to arrange one in secret to avoid the growing media circus.

Duane and Travis then drove to Scottsdale, Arizona, where a meeting with APRO consultant James A. Harder had been arranged. Harder hypnotized Walton, hoping to uncover more details of the missing five days. Clark writes that "Unlike many other abductees, however, Walton's conscious recall and unconscious 'memory' were the same, and he could account for only a maximum of two hours, and perhaps less, of his missing five days. Curiously … Walton encountered an impenetrable mental block and expressed the view that he would 'die' if the regression continued."

===========================================

There is a lot more about this case that makes it interesting. Failed polygraphs, passed polygraphs, possible motives to fake the story, Walton publicly failing a polygraph on a fucking game show in 2009, an incident with check fraud in Walton's past, further passed polygraphs, medical tests, psychological tests.....all kinds of good stuff. Every time you get a clue that you think points you in one direction, you get another clue that puts you back to square one. It's a wild case.

If you like mysteries and trying to figure them out, I highly recommend reading the wiki link I posted at the top. It's not terribly long and it is very entertaining. So check it out and let me know what you think really happened.

Last edited:
Hahaha i LOVE that he took a "karate fighting stance" and frightened 3 gray aliens away.

Oh and that he flew the UFO himself at one point! And got out of one UFO in a hangar and got into a another larger UFO.

It's a good film, and an interesting story, but I believe Mr. Walton about as much as I believe Philip K. Dick was visited by angels.

What's up Bobby B!

Hey Phillip K Dick's story is interesting as hell, too. His is interesting because his hallucinations continued for weeks after he stopped taking drugs. I think Dick was probably schizophrenic. But that story is interesting, still.

And about Travis Walton's story, one thing that interests me is that the other 5 eye witnesses in the truck, that saw the UFO, all reported that just before the beam of light hit Travis, that the UFO started rumbling and making a noise "similar to a turbine" and started "wobbling from side to side." That is something I've never heard in any UFO story. I work on aircraft myself, and that shit sounds like a regular jet engine. Makes me wonder if what they saw was a secret type of aircraft. Keep in mind this was in 1975, and it was in the middle of nowhere Arizona. Idk man it's just interesting. Oh they also gave dimensions for the disc. They said it was about 8 feet tall, 20 feet in diameter, and hovered about 15 feet below the tree tops.

I think it's probably a hoax, but the case gets so muddled it's hard to tell wtf really happened. I read through that wiki page thinking about possible motives and what not. I wondered if his crew drugged him. If they tried to kill him. If it was a way to get out of the guy's logging contract that he was NOT gonna finish on time. But they counter all those ideas in the story. So it's still a mystery.

Last edited:
Occam's Razor is useful here. What's the more likely explanation here; alien life forms travelled billions of light years to abduct some yokel and shove stuff up his ass or this dude got bored with his shitty life and made up a good story that got him some money, some fame and some pussy?

This movie scared the fuck out of me as a kid, I couldn't handle it.

The karate fighting stance is pretty funny...

Occam's Razor is useful here. What's the more likely explanation here; alien life forms travelled billions of light years to abduct some yokel and shove stuff up his ass or this dude got bored with his shitty life and made up a good story that got him some money, some fame and some pussy?

Oh I know. There are a few explanations that work, but like I said, if you read the wiki page, they kind of counter every theory that you can come up with. I'm pretty certain there's a regular old Earthly explanation, but what is it? A doctor examined Travis, and noted he had a small red puncture wound in the bend of his elbow, consistent with an injection. So I thought maybe his crew had drugged him. But then the Dr. noted that there were no drugs in his system, and the puncture was not near any veins. And the guy did work in logging so he could've just poked his arm on a branch. But he doesn't remember getting the puncture wound.

This movie scared the fuck out of me as a kid, I couldn't handle it.

Haha same here. This and that Christopher Walken movie Communion really fucked me up as a kid. And a few X Files episodes, too. Gray aliens were the Freddie Kreugers of the 90's.

This scene scared the Hell out of me as a kid.

[YT]wsjhdoWKtXM[/YT]

This scene scared the Hell out of me as a kid.

I know right! As a kid I was mad as hell watching the movie, because they kept NOT showing the aliens. I was like I dont give a damn about loggers and sheriffs just show the aliens already! Then, they showed the aliens. And I was wide-eyed for like 20 mins straight, going omg! OMG! O..M..G!!!! They kept you waiting the whole movie for that, then when they showed it it was almost too much.

TS you need to edit the wikipedia link and add the end parenthesis

Gray Aliens gave me nightmares for about six years. No. Fucking. Thanks.

This.

A doctor examined Travis, and noted he had a small red puncture wound in the bend of his elbow, consistent with an injection. So I thought maybe his crew had drugged him. But then the Dr. noted that there were no drugs in his system, and the puncture was not near any veins. And the guy did work in logging so he could've just poked his arm on a branch. But he doesn't remember getting the puncture wound.

Plenty of small punctures such as a thorn, insect bite etc etc are "consistent with an injection" - those are very loaded words.

Plenty of small punctures such as a thorn, insect bite etc etc are "consistent with an injection" - those are very loaded words.

I know, I'm just using the words the doctor used.

Believe me bro I'm on the skeptical side here, not the "it was aliens" side. I'm looking at the case as if I were one of the state investigators that was called in on it. And to me, that part of the case is more interesting than the alien stuff. It's fun trying to piece together what really happened. What was the motive? How did they do it? How many of the group were in on it? How did they beat the polygraphs? If the guy didn't eat for 5 days, why wasn't there a high level of ketones in his urine? (which happens when your body breaks down fat to survive). They said he did lose a lot of weight in 5 days, but most of us on sherdog know how easy it is to cut water weight quickly, so him losing a bunch of weight in 5 days doesn't impress me. But a lot of other things do impress me. Like the whole group passing polygraphs.

Gray Aliens gave me nightmares for about six years. No. Fucking. Thanks.

lol me too. And if you haven't seen this movie, do not watch. It's probably the most fucked up gray alien movie out there. I slept with the lights on for many nights after seeing it.

Sounds like a guy that regretted his first gay experience and wanted to make some excuse for it,.

Back