fingertip pullups

onslaught61

White Belt
Reaction score
alongside a bar i also use a ledge of somesort where i can only put my fingers on, and not grip it with my whole hand/thumb. you think doing pullups like these would help improve grip strength more than just the grip on the bar?

well ya, but i have felt that you can get the same effect by gripping the bar with just your fingertips

How many can you do? Thats impressive shit..

krellik said:
How many can you do? Thats impressive shit..

im not using individual fingers if thats what youre thinking. other than that its not too much different from normal pullups. just strains your fingers hella.

I'm not a professional or anything, but doing finger tip pull-up's should work your forearms. I know when I do them my forearms are strained and worked. Also, go rock climbing, cause it's fun, and requires lots of grip.

killer_kicks88 said:
ya rock climbing is a LOT of fun, just be safe
Fuck that. Solo all the way.

while we're on the subject, has anyone here ever heard of a hang board? it's a type of hold several different pairs of holds on it for doing hangs or pullups or whatever. now on the surface, this seems like a good idea, but actually it develops problems in your fingers because you're not actually using forearm strength most of the time, you're locking your joints into position. This would be my concern for anyone doing pullups on a ledge or any kind of crimper hold.

Interesting Urban, never heard of them but I will be sure to check them out. I always used to do chins on a ledge to strengthen my fingers and forearms for climbing. Now I will have to do some more research o make sure I am not wasting my time.

rickdog said:
Interesting Urban, never heard of them but I will be sure to check them out. I always used to do chins on a ledge to strengthen my fingers and forearms for climbing. Now I will have to do some more research o make sure I am not wasting my time.

same here, dont wanna mess up my joints.

Still doesn't answer the question if edge pull-ups are bad for your finger joints...

PariahCarey said:
Still doesn't answer the question if edge pull-ups are bad for your finger joints...

they can be if you rush the shit. be patient and expect to train a couple of years for the tendons and ligaments in your fingers to be really resilient to finger only training. I know a couple of rock climbers and judoka who have severely arthritic hands because they never took care of them. I do a lot of pull ups on the edges of my fingers but I treat them like I would a max deadlift: with respect. spend a couple of years gradually working up on them and you'll be happy you did.

Tornado said:
they can be if you rush the shit. be patient and expect to train a couple of years for the tendons and ligaments in your fingers to be really resilient to finger only training. I know a couple of rock climbers and judoka who have severely arthritic hands because they never took care of them. I do a lot of pull ups on the edges of my fingers but I treat them like I would a max deadlift: with respect. spend a couple of years gradually working up on them and you'll be happy you did.

when you say rushing, what do you mean? doing them over a short period of time can injure them, but long period can help?

by rushing I mean progressing to quickly. it's like doing heavy partials reps. you can progress really quickly doing them but the problem is you accumulate damage really quickly too.

pace your progress and don't get too 'strong' too fast fast. if you're gonna use these for pullups or chinups, try doing them this style once every two to four chinup/pullup sessions. you're going to be doing this exercise for the rest of your life anyway so why not inject variety like this. I found this way to be the best because it gives the fingers flexor tendons enough time to recover for the next session.

Tornado said:
by rushing I mean progressing to quickly. it's like doing heavy partials reps. you can progress really quickly doing them but the problem is you accumulate damage really quickly too.

pace your progress and don't get too 'strong' too fast fast. if you're gonna use these for pullups or chinups, try doing them this style once every two to four chinup/pullup sessions. you're going to be doing this exercise for the rest of your life anyway so why not inject variety like this. I found this way to be the best because it gives the fingers flexor tendons

Thanks Tornado. Slow and steady is how i like to progress anyway.:)

Finger lifts can potentially be very injurious. I've known several people who have sprained their fingers from doing chins on hang boards- myself being one of them. I stay away from finger lifts now because of this. As others have said here, one needs to exercise great patience if you are going to do finger lifts. I think that wrapping the ends of your fingers around a bar is safe (that's how some guys walk with farmer's implements) because that doesn't lock out the joints. These will improve finger strength and open-hand strength. That said though, be careful not to let thumb strength lag behind. Stronger fingers won't help much if the thumb opens up easily.

BC.

Urban said:
Fuck that. Solo all the way.

while we're on the subject, has anyone here ever heard of a hang board? it's a type of hold several different pairs of holds on it for doing hangs or pullups or whatever. now on the surface, this seems like a good idea, but actually it develops problems in your fingers because you're not actually using forearm strength most of the time, you're locking your joints into position. This would be my concern for anyone doing pullups on a ledge or any kind of crimper hold.

wow, that does make alot of sence now that I think of just how locked in your joints are when you do that shit.

Yeah BC., when I do lifts with a bar, I use my forearm to compact my hand as I am lifting myself.

Back