Finger board...

Chaseg1520

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Has anyone ever done pull ups on a rock climbing finger board? http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Training_Equipment.html if you click this link and scroll down a bit you will see what I mean. Anyways, I am a Rec. Sports Coordinator at my college and I do some rock climbing there and today I did some pull ups on our fingerboard. It seemed to work the grip and back/lats like crazy and it takes a lot of strength. Anyone think this would be a worthwhile investment for the house or are the normal chins at the gym better?

Also, don't judge the prices of the boards on the link I provided... as they are a bit overpriced.

Has anyone ever done pull ups on a rock climbing finger board? http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Training_Equipment.html if you click this link and scroll down a bit you will see what I mean. Anyways, I am a Rec. Sports Coordinator at my college and I do some rock climbing there and today I did some pull ups on our fingerboard. It seemed to work the grip and back/lats like crazy and it takes a lot of strength. Anyone think this would be a worthwhile investment for the house or are the normal chins at the gym better?

Also, don't judge the prices of the boards on the link I provided... as they are a bit overpriced.

I did the few times I have done indoor bouldering. With a soft and thick mat, and not being too high up, the 'fear' of falling if my grip fails seems to add this incredible intensity into the workout, like you absolutely must maintain your grip!

I have one stored away in my basement. I have to find a new place to hang it up, as I don't have many exposed beams in my house.

Either way, I love the thing. I bought it when I was dating a chick very much into mountain climbing. She went crazy and went away, but the fingerboard remained.

It looks pretty neat, something you could probably end up making for less coin, though.

Yeah... I'm not the best at making stuff myself like that, but I have seen a few articles describing how to make them so I might just have to give it a try.

I built my own out of plywood and some holds. I got a box of 12 various intermediate holds for less than $20 on eBay.

Very effective for training pulling movements while also challenging your grip support strength. As a side effect my forearms have probably grown an inch from doing pullups and chins on rock holds.

Also great for doing leg raises and the like. I also do "laps" going around the campus board from hold to hold which will fry your grip quickly.

YoungGunz uses a finger board, which is really all you need to know.

Yeah, one of my roomates climbs a lot and actually has his own business making climbing holds, so we've got the simulator hanging up in our kitchen...Whenever I'm feeling frisky I jump on that thing and wreak havoc on my fingers.

It be fun to try.

Reminds me of one of the obstacles from Ninja Warrior on G4...except they do it over water.

They should do it over lava...make it WAY more intense. Not to mention it would be quite m e t a l. :icon_twis

Back