• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Finally watched Top Gun Maverick... it was ok.

So, I finally got around to watching Top Gun Maverick for the first time this weekend. Heard a lot of hype and praise when it came out and was excited to see what the hype was about.

I don't get the hype. Was it better in the theaters? I mean it was ok, but I didn't even find it good. I thought it was kind of cheesy, over the top, and predictable. The original Top Gun was much better.

Do you feel the same or can anyone convince me why it should be hyped as a great movie?
I thought it was well-delivered and had a lot more depth than the original film. I enjoyed it from start to finish.
What makes it epic besides the scenery?
  • Great action sequences
  • Great nostalgia
  • A journey that is familiar to a lot of people in the military who have already reached the apex of their careers. Cruise portrayed this very well.

Last edited:
I haven't seen it yet because the first one gave me the gay vibe.

I loved it, saw twice in theatres. A lot of people did. Definitely made for the big screen and a crowd.

You could say maybe it wasn't that special and kind of predictable. But it just worked.

The special effects and cinematography, absolutely gorgeous from start to finish. Even the sound together with the visuals, the way they flew the jets, it was a true cinematic experience.

The nod to the original. There was a connection with the old characters, elements of nostalgia, pulling at the heart strings without taking itself too seriously.

The cheesiness was there, but how is anyone complaining about cheesiness in a top gun movie? I would have been disappointed if there was none, not everything has to be turned into a dark, brooding, depression fest.

And finally Tom cruise, he fully put himself into this movie and you could tell.

I feel about the same. It was okay. "Competent", if you will. Solid popcorn propaganda flick that I've already largely forgotten. Fun enough movie, especially for people who were fans of the first I reckon.

The original was a good piece of gay propaganda, I don't know how much it helped that movement but it was ahead of its time in that regard.

Top gun maverick got me back into theaters because it wasnt delivering a woke message and the fan service was great from the first film people lost their shit in a theater. The movie also looked and sounded to the pinnacle of technology in a Cinemark XD theater if you didn't watch this in a theater you missed a lot of the experience.

Last edited:
It was phenomenal. Your review sucks.
boo-boo-this-man.gif

So, I finally got around to watching Top Gun Maverick for the first time this weekend. Heard a lot of hype and praise when it came out and was excited to see what the hype was about.

I don't get the hype. Was it better in the theaters? I mean it was ok, but I didn't even find it good. I thought it was kind of cheesy, over the top, and predictable. The original Top Gun was much better.

Do you feel the same or can anyone convince me why it should be hyped as a great movie?

Like every other shitty hollywood movie

meh, turned it off.
too sappy.
loved seeing jennifer connelly though

i hated it, but idk if i was ever going to like it, even if i wanted to. textbook “not for me” type movie.

Blasphemy…I thought it was epic. Maybe that was the difference not watching it on the movie theater screen.

This. It was absolutely epic. It was like they took the original Top Gun, ground it to powder, then cut it with coke and the American flag.

Last edited:
That weirdo football game scene was gaaaaay turned up to 11.

Back