Finally saw Maia vs Shields

I kind of liked the fight, but I like grappling. It was like watching a guy fight himself, they were so similar.

I enjoyed it, but I really appreciate grappling more than most fans I guess. When you realize how exhausting grappling is, and factor in the nerves when you go against world beaters like maia, I thought it was entertaining. Rounds 4 and 5 got a bit slow, though.

Fun fight? Even for the snobbiest of MMA fans it was pretty dull after the first.

Agreed, but it's usually the case for Shields fights that he wins.

If Shields is winning, it's usually a bore of a fight

Shields showed that he was amazing on the ground. The problem with fighting Rory is that Rory has the better fighting and isn't afraid to fight safe. It could easily turn out the same as GSP Shields.

Good fight.

Maybe not "excting" but it was definitely an interesting, entertaining matchup.

I enjoyed it because I'm a Shields fan. I think a big part of the problem was the fact that Maia didn't fight with any urgency after he realized his best position (back control) was useless and his corner started telling him to pace himself. Shields kept trying to make things happen, he went for takedowns and consistently looked for the guard pass when he got on top.

I enjoyed the fight mainly because i wanted to see Maia win there was alot of boring parts where shields was just grinding

i think shields did the least damage any fighter has ever done in a full 25 minute fight

And Shields doesn't?
I've seen kids in infant school that can strike better than Shields :p

im guessing everyone who didn't like this fight almost certainly don't watch grappling tourneys. I thought the fight was great and really glad we got to see if play out on the ground cuz watching them in a stand up fight is quite boring

I enjoy grappling, I didn't enjoy their grappling bar a few moments.

Fight sucked, anyone saying otherwise is just trying to look cool.

I think it has to do with expectations; I was expecting it to be like that. If I had been expecting Hendo vs Shogun I would have hated it.

would love to watch Shields vs Rory!

lol@elitist fans who think this fight was fun and that people who thought it was boring are uneducated. Stun Gun was right, he said this fight was gonna be boring and he was right.

It was never going to be a slug fest if that is what people mean by saying it wasn't exciting?

The fight was what i thought it would be...a grappling match between two of the best in the game in that area...I really enjoyed the fight and was happy to see Shields get the nod, he deserved it by out grappling the guy people said couldn't be out grappled

jake shields has amazing grappling endurance. He's deceiving. You think hes gassed out after all his takedown fails, but he stays relentless.

Back