Finally saw Maia vs Shields

The fight showed that Maia is primarily a great top control BJJ player but has little to offer against high level grapplers when he is put on his back.

It was hard to focus for 5 rounds in that snooze fest. It was exciting at first, but they more or less nullified each other. Shields couldn't do shit when he had top control, and Maia only got swept when he had Shields. I was really hoping that Maia would look better, now I think he'll really struggle with the elite and he has, of course, no chance in hell to beat GSP :(

I thought the fight was somewhat entertaining, but "jaw dropping"? I don't know about that.

I enjoyed the fight also. I'm mite of a grappler than a striker at heart so I like when fights go to the ground, especially when it's two grapplers fighting, there nothing worse than watching two great grapplers throw down on the feet or two great strikers trying to grapple.

I think what made the fight mire entertaining was the fact that Jake was a big underdog who everyone had written off, therefore you kept thinking, will he be able to keep this control for all 5 rounds or once the bigger favoured Maia gets on top, will it be a different story.

Really enjoyed the fight and so glad Jake won, being the underdog and also my own style is similar to his, so that's perhaps why I enjoyed it more than most!

I won't say the fight was boring, but there's not much to talk about other than the decision, with most everyone agrees it was a pretty close fight.

If I were to say anything about the fight, I'd say Maia's takedowns were looking unstoppable in the first round, but Shields found his way.

And also, the one reversal Shields had when Maia was taking his back was certainly an unexpected sight.

I enjoyed it quite a bit, although I can see why others didn't.

love to see Rory vs shields
too bad Lawler is gonna ko Rory

What a fun fight. Why aren't people talking more about that fight?

Also I knew jake was good on the ground but that was jaw dropping. Shields needs to fight rory

it was an entertaining fight, i agree - but i think you had to have some prior knowledge about the guys involved to totally appreciate it.

just to watch someone neutralize maia on the ground was worth the price of admission.

Shields likely loses to Rory. It was a decent fight, though. Not action packed, but the grappling was interesting.

Really? I thought it was really boring. It was clearly just a 25 minute long battle for position.

Is 90% of this thread completely sarcastic???

Perhaps.

Awesome AV.

By the way, I really enjoyed the fight. It was interesting seeing two elite grapplers battling it out and it was kinda the fight I expected. Going in everyone was hoping for a ground battle and that's what they got.

Thanks. I enjoyed the fight as well. I liked the fact that they actually grappled instead of having a shitty kickboxing match.

Fantastic fight. Just awesome grappling display. Shields deserved the victory.

Really? I thought it was really boring. It was clearly just a 25 minute long battle for position.

Which is interesting when the battle is between two legitimately world class grapplers.

Fight sucked, anyone saying otherwise is just trying to look cool.

im guessing everyone who didn't like this fight almost certainly don't watch grappling tourneys. I thought the fight was great and really glad we got to see if play out on the ground cuz watching them in a stand up fight is quite boring

TS did you really like the fight? You should stop watching MMA and start watching wrestling then.

Back