Figure-four closed guard

TommyHearns

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I saw some guy in King of the Cage I think he was called spiderman or something, he had this guy in his closed guard, in a figure four position like people use in their rear mount. Why was he the only one I've ever seen use it and what exactly is wrong with it? Also why would he use it?

you would use it, imo, to stall in your guard/ keep the guy on top very close and under control so he can't strike you. its really hard to break the figure 4 lock and move in it. on the other hand, its damn near impossible to get any submissions/offense from the bottom when you figure 4 your legs.

alot of people use it especially if they have long legs... the pros are that its harder to break/pass the cons are that it takes a little longer to unhook your legs to setup submission/sweep, not alot but timing IS everything.. its a good way to hold guard if your tired or if you dont want them to pass or if you want to tire them while they are trying to pass

ive been asking this for a while can anyone show me what a figure 4 looks like?

mmahamzah said:
ive been asking this for a while can anyone show me what a figure 4 looks like?
connect your legs in the same way you would in a triangle around the opponents body ... so if you have a rear mount one leg goes under their stomach and its heel hooks behind the knee then arch your hips

this is only an effective sub from the rear mount though as far as i know as said in this post when done from closed guard its only good to stall or ware out your opponent

watch horn fight..he pulls the fig 4 body lock allot, he just uses it to hold the guy till he decides on what he wants to do..also Ivan Sal taped out the freak with a figure 4 body lock i beleive

HornforPrez said:
watch horn fight..he pulls the fig 4 body lock allot, he just uses it to hold the guy till he decides on what he wants to do..also Ivan Sal taped out the freak with a figure 4 body lock i beleive

yeah, ivan's was sweet

mmahamzah said:
oooh is this the figure 4 some people call this the anaconda
if you are referring to the anaconda choke then no its a completely different move

HornforPrez said:

Yeah, Tony Fryklund...Ivan called it a "back crank" (I actually learned that from the wrestling coach here, as an illegal move, and he called it the same thing). That was one of my favorite submissions to watch in UFC History, no bullshitting. You could see the life sucked out of Fryklund's face.

Sherdog calls it a "body lock." When Casem asked if it was a figure four, Salaverry corrected her, calling it a "triangle, a back crank", but I think it's stupid to call it that because that confuses it with the much more prevalent triangle choke from the guard. Furthermore, it's confusing, because it IS a figure four.

*EDIT* Tony Fryklund, not Joe Riggs

I don't know if you guys watched the Meca vale tudo fight between Anderson silva and BTT's Jucao... But anyway jucao is in Anderson's figure 4 guard, then anderson puts one ohis legs under jucao's knee and reverses him to fall in the mount and GNP's the hell out of him. I've been trying to do that in training but it's pretty hard. U need really long legs

Anaconda Choke

a0016757_7193813.jpg

mmahamzah said:
oooh is this the figure 4 some people call this the anaconda
Some of them call it anaconda, some omoplata, others de la riva. I even heard a guy calling it simply: guard...

mogway said:
I don't know if you guys watched the Meca vale tudo fight between Anderson silva and BTT's Jucao... But anyway jucao is in Anderson's figure 4 guard, then anderson puts one ohis legs under jucao's knee and reverses him to fall in the mount and GNP's the hell out of him. I've been trying to do that in training but it's pretty hard. U need really long legs
What does GNP mean? I cant search for it it is under the word limit lol.

Can you still use the guillotuine with the figure four guard? What other attacks are there from a figure four guard.

Thank you for all the help it is appreciated.

GNP is ground and pound> strikes from the ground

tudor_bjj said:
Some of them call it anaconda, some omoplata, others de la riva. I even heard a guy calling it simply: guard...

Some call a figure four an Omo Plata? WTF? A figure four is a basic interlocking hold used in many joint manipulations. The Omo Plata is a shoulder lock. Anaconda involves the shoulder, but it's a choke, not a lock. De La Riva is an instructor who just has his own variation of certain BJJ moves.

What the hell do these things have in common that someone would call them all the same thing?

TommyHearns said:
What does GNP mean? I cant search for it it is under the word limit lol.

Can you still use the guillotuine with the figure four guard? What other attacks are there from a figure four guard.

Thank you for all the help it is appreciated.

I really should punish you for such a newb question, but...you came here in earnest.

Yeah, you can still pull guard with the guillotine locked in from the standing position (or once you're already in the guard, although I don't see this happen as often anymore...wrestlers are getting smarter).

tudor_bjj said:

Dude the anaconda is a submission
The De la Riva is a type of open guard
the omoplata is submission/sweep

I don't know how you can confuse this with a figure 4 guard?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Judoka_Noob
Back