FIGHTS need to be scored as a whole not round by round

It has probably been mentioned (I'm not sifting through 16 pages) but the issue with scoring the fight as a whole is the recency effect...

You know how people try to get end of round takedowns in order to "steal the round?" Well, prepare for all sorts of wacky decisions where judges completely ignore what happened in the first 10 minutes or so of the fight and score the fight for the guy who has the best final minute and a half.

The scoring system isn't perfect (I've wanted them to do a 5 point must system where they actually use all the points rather than automatic 10-9 or a 10-8 in the case of a destruction) but giving judges even more power and having even less accountability is not the answer.

You're missing the point. Someone can get so far ahead in the 10point system that the only way the other guy can win is with a stoppage. If you judge the fight as a whole then someone can win 2 rounds of lay and pray or extremely light action rounds and still lose the fight if the opponent lights him up in the 3rd. In the points system, even a 10-8 round only gets you a draw in that situation.

If someone wins two thirds of the fight he should win the fight. A slightly dominant round shouldn't completely steal the fight. It should be a draw as both fighters won an equal portion of the fight. And if that round was extremely dominant to the point where that fighter should take the fight, then it can be scored a 10-7 which the rules call for. With that that fighter wins the fight. So again, if used right, you can score any fight properly with the 10 point must.

The points system gives credit for takedowns that do nothing and say that's seffective grappling. That's why you see guys points fighting and trying for a takedown with 10 seconds left in a round to steal it. The 10point must system has actually gotten worse as fighters have learned what will impress judges and they're gaming the system.

The 10 point must system has absolutley nothing to do with the weight judges give certain techniques. Absolutely nothing. You can use the 10 point must to scored any criteria or match any criteria to the 10 point must. They are two different things.

The system doesn't matter when you have shitty judges. Boxing has been around much longer and still has horrible judging, nothing gonna change in mma.

In the olympics in London they used a system for boxing where there were five judges, when the fight was over they compiled the scores and only used the three score cards that were the most similar in their scoring.

This could be a way to alleviate some judging problems by simply having two more idiots in there but at least the biggest idiot won't count.

I think this can be fixed by using more 10-10 and 10-8 rounds

I really liked the scoring used in K1 where they would score a round 10-10 unless there was a very clear winner to solve these issues where a guy wins by decision by edging out two extremely close rounds but clearly loses the other.

This would be a problem in 3 round fights because it could lead to a lot of ties, but K1 solved that by allowing for a 1 round sudden death if it was tied after 3 rounds.

They also announced the scores after each round so the fighters knew where they stood which I thought was kinda cool.

I would be really stoked in MMA adopted something similar but most likely the 10 point must system is here to stay.

That's why there is possibility for different scoring.

The current scoring system isn't bad, it's just used improperly.

10-9 for everything 10-8 for absolute destruction.

Should be. 10-10 for a toss up. 10-9 for a close round with a clear winner. 10-8 for a dominant round. 10-7 for destruction.

I've wanted this for years. I hate when a fighter barely wins the first two rounds and gets crushed in the third, but still wins.

The decision in Gus vs. Jones was close... the fight wasn't, Gus was broken at the end of the fight, Jones won clearly.

In the olympics in London they used a system for boxing where there were five judges, when the fight was over they compiled the scores and only used the three score cards that were the most similar in their scoring.

This could be a way to alleviate some judging problems by simply having two more idiots in there but at least the biggest idiot won't count.

That's NOT how olympic boxing is scored, instead it goes hit by hit, and doesn't take into account damage done, and highly favors quick sloppy flurries--which is the major flaw in the system.

"A panel of five judges decides which hits are scoring hits.

Judges each have two buttons before them, one for each boxer, and they press the appropriate button when they believe a boxer delivers a scoring hit.

An electronic scoring system registers a point whenever three or more judges press the button for one boxer within a second of each other. No point is awarded for a hit unless three of the five judges agree."

I would personally like even more subtlety (10-8, 10-7 and why not 10-6?). But I'm not sure why they have to use boxing scores with the 10-9. Why not 1-0? Why complicate it? They should just go their separate way.

This one is complicated, but it could be nice to give points to both fighter depending on how much damage they caused out of 5. So the 4th round would have been 4-2 Jones and the 1st round would have been 2-1 Gustafsson.

What I like about it is that it represents the fight as a whole. A "3-2 five rounder" is a borefest where no one did any damage. a "25-20 five rounder" is an absolute carnage where both fighters are probably dead.

I'm probably going too far, but that would be pretty sweet. For me, more shades of grey is better.

I really liked the scoring used in K1 where they would score a round 10-10 unless there was a very clear winner to solve these issues where a guy wins by decision by edging out two extremely close rounds but clearly loses the other.

This would be a problem in 3 round fights because it could lead to a lot of ties, but K1 solved that by allowing for a 1 round sudden death if it was tied after 3 rounds.

They also announced the scores after each round so the fighters knew where they stood which I thought was kinda cool.

I would be really stoked in MMA adopted something similar but most likely the 10 point must system is here to stay.

The problem with showing scores is it might motivate the loser to go for broke but it also motivates the guy ahead to coast

Back