Fighters who train the LEAST

How old are you guys?

Tank Abbot invented this
510chI6QyML._AC_SY400_.jpg

Last edited:
I remember when Roy Nelson coached TUF all his fighters were upset because they didn't think they were training enough.
And he tried to justify it. “Look at me and where I am in my career” and they’re all thinking “exactly bro”

it looked as if he hadn't even sparred the least bit, just partied and went in for the paycheck

takanori-gomi-drinks-beer.jpg

images

v1jQRcY.gif

I still think he won that fight actually lol.

Alex Stiebling didnt seem to take his career too seriously, for instance...

There was a fighter recently that didn't train at an mma gym or anything at all. Just did training at his house by himself, he got whooped though. I can't remember if it was UFC or Bellator.
Evan Tanner

Didn't Houston Alexander train in his garage or something?

takanori-gomi-drinks-beer.jpg

images

v1jQRcY.gif

I still think he won that fight actually lol.

Ah Gomi was one of my favs there was a really good documentary UFC did before his fight with Myles Jury, It showed him training a little drills and jogging and going to a bar at night he seemed to be a regular. I forget what the video was called

According to Chael, hendo was the last one in, first one out the gym.

He told a story on his podcast about Hendo barely training for a pride fight, he went in and won without a problem. The coaches in the gym were like “oh no, he’s never gonna train again.”

Of course it’s chael so take it with a grain of salt.

Inspired by all the "If x fighter had taken his career seriously" type posts.

Who you got?

Ill say Mark Hunt

I don't think Mark Hunt would be the right answer, I think he puts in a lot of time from what I've read and seen on social media, hard to know really of course.

Anyone who fights in the UFC and doesn't train their arse off has balls that's for sure, you'd think you' be too scared of getting your arse kicked to not train a shitload.

I think when you get older, you don't want to train as hard since you get injury prone. I used to skip jogging in the morning unless I was scheduled for something. I would go to 7/11 to buy electrolyte powder and see a pro hiding inside until it is time to go back. We just sorta head nodded each other and kept quiet.

Didn't Jon Jones spend a few months only powerlifting because he fell in love with it? That's on top of his usual nose candy regimen every weekend before a fight.
That was his excuse as to why he gained so much mass but obviously it was because he was taking (more/other) PEDs (and of course still training MMA).

Mark Hunt early in his career (KB) did no training for some fights, only gambled
Nelson trained himself

Tanner learned BJJ watching tapes and trained at home
Sage Northcutt said, that prior to training with Faber, he had no MMA training

CM Punk didn't train once according to people at that gym. He would show do some light sparring and bounce. And the sparring had to be real light because he sucked and a slight breeze would put him to sleep.

Back