• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fighters who retired too early

the only two I had in mind.

GSP was the obvious choice of going out while on top.
But we will NEVER know how he would fare had he stayed. Maybe he'd lose his very next fight, or maybe he wouldn't. but I am 100% sure he was still close to the top of his game, his prime.

And Khabib, unfortunately his father passing is what took him out, so it was not even that he was tired or declining..... A pity. There were lots of good fights for him that we'll never get to see. Then again, lucky Islam! He would probably not have ascended if Khabib was still at the top. :)

Khabib wouldn't have stuck around long regardless. His father's plan was for him to stop at 30-0 and make way for Islam to ascend. Abdulmanap passing just accelerated the timeline.

Oliveira's career could have been severely impacted by Khabib sticking around for one more fight.

On the spectrum of well-rounded and one dimensiona, he leans heavily one dimensional. He is further down the spectrum in my book than an Adesanya even, but close to Poatan.
He's got more submission wins than Cain and JDS combined. Lol at Adesanya, who has never outgrappled or subbed anyone.

I always think of Chad Mendes. He was 33 and ran into Alexander Volkanovski who was unheralded and ranked 10th at the time. He almost put Volk out at one point but got overwhelmed by the pace and finished. He took that as a sign he was past it and retired. Then Volk goes on an insane run and becomes one of the greatest fighters of all time.

I wouldn't see Mendes ever winning a title but he could have been a contender for at least the next few years. I think he smokes the good not great guys hanging around the top 5 now like Ortega and Yair.
BJ Penn. I thought he was about to turn around his losing streak and get the title back.

the only two I had in mind.

GSP was the obvious choice of going out while on top.
But we will NEVER know how he would fare had he stayed. Maybe he'd lose his very next fight, or maybe he wouldn't. but I am 100% sure he was still close to the top of his game, his prime.

And Khabib, unfortunately his father passing is what took him out, so it was not even that he was tired or declining..... A pity. There were lots of good fights for him that we'll never get to see. Then again, lucky Islam! He would probably not have ascended if Khabib was still at the top. :)
I would have liked to see GSP stick around longer too but I think mentally he was done. There was no more mountain to climb, and hadn’t been for a while. Just an endless stream of challengers, each of whom he had to build up and prepare for just to see them fall by the wayside and be replaced by whoever was the next big thing at the time. He had lost his hunger and was mentally exhausted and I can’t fault him for that.

I would have liked to see GSP stick around longer too but I think mentally he was done. There was no more mountain to climb, and hadn’t been for a while. Just an endless stream of challengers, each of whom he had to build up and prepare for just to see them fall by the wayside and be replaced by whoever was the next big thing at the time. He had lost his hunger and was mentally exhausted and I can’t fault him for that.

Interesting that he chose to quit after facing a challenger who didn't just fall by the wayside and arguably beat him.

love GSP but he retired at the perfect time. he wouldn't of been able to handle the next gen of MW at that point, romero would be too quick and athletic for him to just out point with wits.
I think they meant his first retirement from welterweight. Michael bisping was the perfect opponent for a one and done at middleweight.

I think they meant his first retirement from welterweight. Michael bisping was the perfect opponent for a one and done at middleweight.
he squeezed past Hendricks, I am not sure if he would win the rematch or against Lawler at that point.

Interesting that he chose to quit after facing a challenger who didn't just fall by the wayside and arguably beat him.
He kinda did though. Won the vacant title his next fight, then lost it the fight after that and never challenged for it again. Ended up on the same card as GSP in his only other fight years later as a bloated mw getting battered while GSP won the mw title.

Back