• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fighters who retired too early

blaseblase

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I always think of Chad Mendes. He was 33 and ran into Alexander Volkanovski who was unheralded and ranked 10th at the time. He almost put Volk out at one point but got overwhelmed by the pace and finished. He took that as a sign he was past it and retired. Then Volk goes on an insane run and becomes one of the greatest fighters of all time.

I wouldn't see Mendes ever winning a title but he could have been a contender for at least the next few years. I think he smokes the good not great guys hanging around the top 5 now like Ortega and Yair.

images

Gsp had a few more fights in him imo.
Khabib had a few as well
Is Gregor still competing or did he retire?
the only two I had in mind.

GSP was the obvious choice of going out while on top.
But we will NEVER know how he would fare had he stayed. Maybe he'd lose his very next fight, or maybe he wouldn't. but I am 100% sure he was still close to the top of his game, his prime.

And Khabib, unfortunately his father passing is what took him out, so it was not even that he was tired or declining..... A pity. There were lots of good fights for him that we'll never get to see. Then again, lucky Islam! He would probably not have ascended if Khabib was still at the top. :)

Cain Velasquez could have gone longer if he had better knees. He was possibly the best rounded HW UFC champion ever.

He was defeated by a more well rounded HW champ, who then was beaten by an even more well rounded champ, who later got beaten by a rather one dimensional HW champ who left the UFC. It's the current HW champ who is by far the most well rounded ever.

He was defeated by a more well rounded HW champ, who then was beaten by an even more well rounded champ, who later got beaten by a rather one dimensional HW champ who left the UFC. It's the current HW champ who is by far the most well rounded ever.
LOL Francis a 1 dimensional champ. What the fuck?

On one hand given how brutal the sport is, I cant second guess anyone's decision to hang it up. If the thought was there, it was the right time, imo.

On the other hand, a few clearly had more in the tank. GSP and Khabib are two good examples of that.

On one hand given how brutal the sport is, I cant second guess anyone's decision to hang it up. If the thought was there, it was the right time, imo.

On the other hand, a few clearly had more in the tank. GSP and Khabib are two good examples of that.
love GSP but he retired at the perfect time. he wouldn't of been able to handle the next gen of MW at that point, romero would be too quick and athletic for him to just out point with wits.

Back