fighters who fell in love w/ striking...

Demian Maia, Jake Shields.

Two dudes who don't know what's best for them.

to be fair, Rashad's at least fast enough to make it work

yep. that, and he actually integrated his striking and his grappling when he got confronted with his striking limitations; after getting ko'ed by lyoto, he went back to set up his striking attacks with td-attempts and vice versa.

Demian Maia, Jake Shields.

Two dudes who don't know what's best for them.

well, demian strikes just a liitle but still takes it to the ground sooner rather than later, and shields only strikes if he can't take his opponent down. as far as i remember, they are both still happy guard pullers.

Fedor, unfortunately.
True. His striking was at its best when combined with the threat of his clinch entries like against Cro Cop or Nog III, not on its own.

Sherk, really wish he would have use his ground game against Penn. His arms were way to short to really box that much.

I wanna say Akiyama also, but I haven't seen enough of him to know if he has ever been grapple heavy

To their own detriment.

Koscheck: I think he could have taken down alves before he got rocked, but traded to long. Same with Paulo thiago. He probably could have done better against peirce and hendricks with more aggressive wrestling. If I remember right ( which i admittedly may not) Hendricks struggled with tds early while Kos got a td easily in the third. Haven't seen the Lawler fight so I don't know..

Diego: his fights with karo and Diaz have to be some of the best grappling wars. He got koscheck's back immediately after being taken down. But these days he's all rock em sock em.

Sherk: to his credit, he went back to wrestling against dunham after losing to Edgar. But he was content to stand and trade with Bj, griffin, and Edgar, 2 of which he lost.

Any other examples? Have we ever seen this in reverse (striker turned wrestler)?

Koscheck was busting some fresh lay n' pray on Lawler before Lawler reversed position and pounded him out (from what I remember)

Gabe Gonzaga. Defeating Cro Cop was the best and worst thing of his career.

Rampage
Werdum

werdum fell in love with striking to his own detriment? really? he does well on his feet. he's actually got good standup. and it's not like he doesn't use his ground game. by contrast, roy nelson's an example of a middling striker with KO power who forgot he has a ground game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back