Fighters that train out of their own gym/dojo?

I'm pretty sure Roy Nelson trains out of his local Dunkin' Donuts...
In all seriousness, I have heard he basically always trained himself.

He has a guy that helps him. For the Struve fight I remember the guy was holding these long sticks with gloves on them so he could mimic Struve. It did work. Found

Tony Ferguson does stuff you'd think only guys training by themselves would do

Jordan Mein trains out of Lethbridge, Alberta, at the Canadian Martial Arts Centre which is run by his dad Lee "The Molester" Mein.

It doesn't really get any smaller or shittier than that.

Damn bro which one fucked your mom?

He has a guy that helps him. For the Struve fight I remember the guy was holding these long sticks with gloves on them so he could mimic Struve. It did work. Found

I’ve always considered Nelson to be one of the true freaks of MMA (in a good way). If he would have had the discipline to manage his weight properly, I believe he could have been an all time great at light heavyweight, or possibly even middleweight.

Cro Cop people
It's crazy how far he made it while only training in his house basement,never in a modern camp.
Basement Cro Cop is a bad mofo

timberlake-justin-image.jpg

JT
{<jordan}

What?! For real? Kavanaugh making bank. Or does he only run Ireland?
Yeah no joke. Kav only had the one but he renegotiated his contract because he knew he was making the name world famous and he already had plans to expand SBG Ireland (roddy having SBG charleston too). It's my understanding that he completely owns the Dublin one and has a cut of any that were built after the success of the gym.

Very smart in my opinion. MMA gyms will come and go (blackzillians) but getting a franchise is how you keeping the money coming in long after Conor and co. disappear.

Back in the day I remember people fought and competed to promote their own gyms or dojo. I mean Gracies main purpose was just that.

Not just Gracies but you had gokor who would compete and train disciples like karo and Manny so they could promote their style which is good for business.

Now we have Jackson camp or AKA or TAM who recruit fighters from wrestling or entice/steal a promising fighter from a smaller gym while not really caring for them which is the recent case of Donald cerrone.

Oddly enough conor is the only guy who trains out of a smaller gym as far as I know or perhaps JT as well?
You might even get a blue belt from him after he beats some highly hyped UFC BW.

i

Future of mma is gonna be guys building their own camps, same as what boxers do. Think its better that way if you have the money for it to Taylor a camp for your needs.

Broke fighter will still probably be in atypical team
Kind of what TJ is doing now

Shevchenko sisters travel around the world with their coach and take fights along the way. Seems to be working pretty well for them.

v9xnHhf.jpg

Dave "PeeWee" Herman did (whenever he actually trained) except for short camps at Team Quest. And he actually trained by himself in his garage...he didn't bring in other fighters like some guys. He got away with it pre-UFC due to his athleticism and wrestling background. It's a shame--he had a lot of potential but was criminally unprepared for most fights.

Cro Cop had a gym in his basement and didn't even have a cage in it for a lot of his UFC career.

I assume this means the more modern UFC era. If we're talking early UFC, tons of guys did. In fact, the vast majority unless they studied a specific style (karate, judo, etc.) or were an early member of the Lion's Den or something.

Back