Fighters that are not respected?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I have noticed more and more in modern mma that, todays fighters aren't really respected or revered like the old days.

The only fighters I could recall not being well respected from the previous generation were Frank Trigg and Tim Sylvia but then again, people weren't really bad mouthing them as much.

But now, it seems like todays fighters get tons of shit from the fans were as old school fighters were treated like martial arts masters. Why is that? Too much social media? Is it the lack of mastery in one area of mma that opens them for criticism?

Unknowledgeable fans is the what I would attribute it to the most. There are 450+ fighters on the roster and people would rather complain about watered down cards than actually watch them and learn about all the great new prospects.

Everyone and their brother is an MMA fighter these days. Just like everyone knows someone or has a family member who is a Navy SEAL. Its cool right now.

fan boi warfare + post count + these guys think they're showing off their knowledge by shitting on fighters, Sherdog is just a bad mix.

Every fighter gets mad disrespect on the internet, old and new.

A guy who encapsulates the whole thing for me is a guy like Gary Goodridge. Now his record is the definition of mediocre. He had glaring holes in his game. Like almost all the old guard he was rudimentary.

But Gary Goodridge was/is a bad motherfucker walking this earth, and as a fan of the sport I respect that dude and most everyone else. That knockout over Taktarov is still unbelievable. I just picked Gary sort of at random, but I hope he illustrates what I'm trying to say.

I just think we sometimes get so enamored with the Anderson's and Jones', and we lose sight of the bigger picture of the sport and its long history.

Pulling out more often than Tiger Woods will do that to you.

He doesn't deserve to get disrespected like he does though. I'm sure he wants to fight and get paid and it must be extremely frustrating for him to be so injury prone lately. He was a great fighter in his prime, and people on here are acting like he's scared to fight and pulls out of fights for the lulz or something

Its crazy but I guess it seems like old school fighters were more respected

But thats the thing though, sherdog is actualy very cool and respectful to the fighters

wat? are we visiting the same site? the one where all the keyboard warriors who have never competed in any type of contact sport constantly shit on and bash trained fighters?

wat? are we visiting the same site? the one where all the keyboard warriors who have never competed in any type of contact sport constantly shit on and bash trained fighters?

Sorry I edited my post, you are right, I was going off topic with the whole golds gym story. But honestly man, Sherdog is not as bad as twitter fans shitting on fighters or being creepy.

Btw, is that a bleach avatar? Is it Light Yagami hollowfied?

I think it's the amount of fighters and people liking one fighter will do what they can to discredit other fighters who threaten their favs status/ranking

It's because most of the old school fighters went out and fought like every fight was their last fight. There was no game plans and winning on points wasn't even a thought. That's why fighters like Fedor, Shogun, Penn, Wand, Igor, ect. are so highly thought of. They just go out there to fight

Sorry I edited my post, you are right, I was going off topic with the whole golds gym story. But honestly man, Sherdog is not as bad as twitter fans shitting on fighters or being creepy.

Btw, is that a bleach avatar? Is it Light Yagami hollowfied?

Its Eren Jaeger from Attack on Titan

And yea twitter is absolutely horrible, but this is supposed to be a place for fans of MMA. Unlike twitter which is commonplace and almost everyone has

Anderson
Jones
Hendricks

awe snap redhawks strikes again with some crazy anderson man love. lol at anderson being one of the most disrespected fighters. Is it disrespectful to say he isnt the goat? Is it disrespectful to say he has two losses to chris weidman that are actually legitimate? cuz i wouldnt want to be disrespectful

It's a combination of there being more fair-weather fans, and there just being more MMA fans in general. More fans = more haters. Sad but true.

Back