• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fighters bench press

Flat back is the real bench imo, a slight arch is okay, however you look like the chick in that video you're not working any functional strength.
If anything you're going to tear a pec by grabbing the bar super wide and arching your back to a extreme so you have less room to press but your stressing your joints far more.
If you keep a flat back it minimal arch and bench at shoulder width apart, you build functional strength that can actually translate to mma or wrestling.
You wont find any fighters benching like powerlifters, because the goal is functional strength not putting up the most weight.
I also bring the bar to my strenun because i have long arms, the nipple line is too high for me and would stress the shoulders
No, flat back is the worst possible thing you can do. You have no idea what your talking about. You are mistaking one drastic example of an arched bench as the basic "powerlifting bench"

The powerlifting bench IS the basic strength and conditioning bench. It's the style of bench that allows you to bench the most possible amount of weight as safe as possible.

Every fighter "benches like a powerlifter" because that's the basic strength and conditioning style. The one that focuses on strength development. There is no other. Do not confuse this with ridiculous arches, raised butts and bouncing the weight off the chest.

This must be why the injury rate in powerlifting is lower than the injury rate in bodybuilding (study by Hamill, BP -rates of injury on sports). And I love the use of "functional strength" as if powerlifters who arch do not get stronger at other movements. That is the most over-used and incorrectly applied term in training. While I am not a fan of powerlifting, the proper arch used in weightlifting decreases the opening of the AC joint and, assuming you bring the bar lower on your chest, encourages proper rotation of the joint. And there is a limit to how wide you can grab the bar in powerlifting (81cm/32") which is not all that wide. Of course it looks wide when a tiny middle-school child does it, but an actual adult, not so much.
He's just confusing what the actual form of a powerlifting bench is... It's the basic Strength and conditioning form... Good arch, with the ass on the bench

Wrong, the bench includes the biceps for stabilization, the lats during the negative of a bench press.
So we have delts, biceps, chest, back.. That's every upperbody muscle group smashed into one compound excercise.
Powerlifting bench press bullshit aside,.when you keep your ass flat on the bench its a great measure of upperbody strength.

Lats contribute little, so do the biceps. Sure, they are used for stability, but they are not stressed enough to make the bench press an effective exercise for those muscle groups.

Good study:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/academia.ed...=Effects_of_Variations_of_the_Bench_Press.pdf

Zero reps were done in that video. Bouncing 600lbs in your chest cant be good.

It is not if it is done correctly. I used to hurt my shoulders (front delts) while benching until I started doing it the proper way. I think I can count the people Ive seen benching in a gym with proper form and bar path with one hand.

Do you even lift bro?
Any compound excercise is good for putting stress on the nervous system and basically make you stronger.
Squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, pullups, etc. All of them are great.
I was talking about the unhealthy biomechanics of a flat back on the benchpress, hence my point why the arch is necessary.

This must be why the injury rate in powerlifting is lower than the injury rate in bodybuilding (study by Hamill, BP -rates of injury on sports). And I love the use of "functional strength" as if powerlifters who arch do not get stronger at other movements. That is the most over-used and incorrectly applied term in training. While I am not a fan of powerlifting, the proper arch used in weightlifting decreases the opening of the AC joint and, assuming you bring the bar lower on your chest, encourages proper rotation of the joint. And there is a limit to how wide you can grab the bar in powerlifting (81cm/32") which is not all that wide. Of course it looks wide when a tiny middle-school child does it, but an actual adult, not so much.
Whos talking about bodybuilding?
Im talking strength and condtioning, and i can gurantee you wont find any fighters benching like powerlifters, do you think powerlifters increase their strenght by just competition benching?
No there's a huge amount of technique that goes into that arch bach style lifting.
However look at the vid posted of that girl benching in this thread, thats not functional strength thats technique, if she drops her ass she couldn't put up 185.
That means she can only lift that weight under those condtions which factually means its not functional...

He's just confusing what the actual form of a powerlifting bench is... It's the basic Strength and conditioning form... Good arch, with the ass on the bench

Yes, I know. I do not really like powerlifting, and dislike the bench press, but it is still a good lift done properly (meaning, good shoulder rotation, enough arch to allow this, proper retraction of the scapulae, etc.) The bodybuilding style bench (flat back, elbows out, etc.) is just stupid with its potential for injury.

Im talking strength and condtioning, and i can gurantee you wont find any fighters benching like powerlifters, do you think powerlifters increase their strenght by just competition benching?
No there's a huge amount of technique that goes into that arch bach style lifting.
However look at the vid posted of that girl benching in this thread, thats not functional strength thats technique, if she drops her ass she couldn't put up 185.
That means she can only lift that weight under those condtions which factually means its not functional...
How do you think powerlifters get stronger? Lol. They lift the same way any athlete does to build strength. The "powerlifter arch" is the basic strength and conditioning form. The ass stays on the bench, and the legs can be anywhere, depending on the limb/torso lengths of the person

No, flat back is the worst possible thing you can do. You have no idea what your talking about. You are mistaking one drastic example of an arched bench as the basic "powerlifting bench"

The powerlifting bench IS the basic strength and conditioning bench. It's the style of bench that allows you to bench the most possible amount of weight as safe as possible.

Every fighter "benches like a powerlifter" because that's the basic strength and conditioning style. The one that focuses on strength development. There is no other. Do not confuse this with ridiculous arches, raised butts and bouncing the weight off the chest.
You're confusing what im saying and getting very defensive, the arch is fake strength and was developed the manipulate the rules.
A slight arch as i already stated is okay a slight arch is enough to slide a hand through.
https://www.t-nation.com/training/fake-strength-stop-arching-the-bench-press
Read that article and.learn something bub

So Jones is not benching like a powerlifter? Frank Mir was trained by a PL-based strength and conditioning coach (Mark Philippi) - guess how he benched? I could keep going, but there is no point because you are wrong again.

And no, that is not what functional means. Of course people can only lift maximal weight with optimal technique. I squat high bar (I am, or I was, a weightlifter) I cannot squat low-bar worth a shit. However, that does not mean because I cannot squat as much weight low-bar as I can high bar my squat is not functional. If Lu Xiaojan switches to the split jerk, he cannot put as much weight up as he can when he squat jerks, so I guess his strength is not functional. I mean, he is only an Olympic gold medalist.

Both transfer over to other activities, such as the vertical jump, quite well.

Your use of the word functional is a catch all to cover your lack of knowledge. And I never said powerlifters only bench competition style, thanks for the straw man.

Why do so many people make sweeping generalizations, misuse terms then back up their statements with horse shit? I will never understand this.

Deadlift or Clean numbers would be way more indicative of overall strength than Bench.

And by a mile....

Glad to see this thread was derailed by sound, coherent discussions about that, though

You're confusing what im saying and getting very defensive, the arch is fake strength and was developed the manipulate the rules.
A slight arch as i already stated is okay a slight arch is enough to slide a hand through.

That arch is not allowed in powerlifting. And the girl in the video, well, her lift would not have passed because it was not paused. I mean, you should know this what with you being such an expert.

What a terrible article. I have friends who compete extensively, one of whom is a master's world champion. That being said:

"Arching your back will also take away some leg drive. One way to arch your back is to get your feet behind your hips, but the farther the legs go back, the tougher it is to transfer leg drive into the bench without your butt leaving the bench.

Therefore, arch-lifters are substituting decreased ROM for less leg drive – but leg drive is likely to have a better transfer to other activities outside of the bench press!"

A proper arch allows more, not less leg drive. I have had to spot guys while they came up with the ideal foot placement for optimal leg drive while arching, and all of them get more drive, not less, when they arch. I could keep going, but there is really no point. You are just going to back up your errors with crap. You do not even know enough to realize how little you know, which is why you are taken in by articles like the one you are linked to.

Here is a hint: T-nation will post just about anything, and they have numerous contradictory articles on their site, and do nothing to resolve this. They are little more than click-bait based.

So why are we arguing? I've read that before and it says exactly what I originally said. A big arch is better than a flat back, but the ideal is somewhere inbetween. Lol

So Jones is not benching like a powerlifter? Frank Mir was trained by a PL-based strength and conditioning coach (Mark Philippi) - guess how he benched? I could keep going, but there is no point because you are wrong again.

And no, that is not what functional means. Of course people can only lift maximal weight with optimal technique. I squat high bar (I am, or I was, a weightlifter) I cannot squat low-bar worth a shit. However, that does not mean because I cannot squat as much weight low-bar as I can high bar my squat is not functional. If Lu Xiaojan switches to the split jerk, he cannot put as much weight up as he can when he squat jerks, so I guess his strength is not functional. I mean, he is only an Olympic gold medalist.

Both transfer over to other activities, such as the vertical jump, quite well.

Your use of the word functional is a catch all to cover your lack of knowledge. And I never said powerlifters only bench competition style, thanks for the straw man.

Why do so many people make sweeping generalizations, misuse terms then back up their statements with horse shit? I will never understand this.
You're a moron if you cant comprehend what im saying,
A SLIGHT ARCH IS OKAY.
A over exaggerated arch is just a technique to shorten the rom and put up more weight. POINT BLANK.
Simple shit moron,

You're a moron if you cant comprehend what im saying,
A SLIGHT ARCH IS OKAY.
A over exaggerated arch is just a technique to shorten the rom and put up more weight. POINT BLANK.
Simple shit moron,

And now you resort to name calling. Grow up.

And the exaggerated arch in powerlifting allows the scapulae to move more freely, increasing shoulder rotation and decreasing the opening of the acromioclavicular joint, decreasing stress on the shoulder. Which is the opposite of what you said.

Bench Press is an incredibly useless exercise for MMA so I doubt a lot of fighters do it
I wouldn't think a move that builds upper body strength would be useless. That being said I would be surprised if many of them spend a lot of time and energy maxing out any of their lifts. If their goals included more strength for clinch and grappling work though it could really help.

And the exaggerated arch in powerlifting allows the scapulae to move more freely, increasing shoulder rotation and decreasing the opening of the acromioclavicular joint, decreasing stress on the shoulder. Which is the opposite of what you said.
Yep. An exaggerated arch is never ideal, but it is worlds better than a flat back bench press. In this sense, it's ALWAYS better to be closer on that end, then no arch and risking shoulder/pec tears.

So why are we arguing? I've read that before and it says exactly what I originally said. A big arch is better than a flat back, but the ideal is somewhere inbetween. Lol
Cause i said (reffering to the video) that the arch is too excessive and doesn't create any functional strenght if you bench like that.
Simple question if i put 225 up with a flat back and.you need a overexagerated arch to do so, whos stronger?
If i build my bench up to 325 with a flat back and.you need an excessive arch whos stronger?
A slight arch is okay, already said this 20 times, jon jones has a slight arch, Arnold used a slight arch, im reffering to the vid of the girl "benching" many people "bench" like that

Flw-200
Bw-225
Fw-250
Lw-275
Ww-300
Mw-315
Lhw-330
Hw-350

So you're shorting the rom and creating less functional strength?
Next time you're on the mat ask if you can arch your back and get into pressing postion before he trys to pin you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back