Fighters being sick all the time

Mma fighters seem to get staph infections all the time. It's the only sport where it seems pretty common. Is it just from people being dirty bastards?
It is the only sport that is pure physical contact that’s why, you train in contact and compete in contact, usually sweaty and with skin exposed too.

Staph spreads happens in wrestling, and also in 3rd world boxing gyms (boxing is less risk than wrestling but third world gyms don't clean their shit), all the time.
I've followed boxing and been around gyms for years and if I'm being honest I didn't even know what it was until I started coming on here. I'd be telling anyone who doesn't keep themselves clean to fuck off.

I've followed boxing and been around gyms for years and if I'm being honest I didn't even know what it was until I started coming on here. I'd be telling anyone who doesn't keep themselves clean to fuck off.
Yeah, I'm talking third world boxing gyms. They don't clean their stuff, because bleach is expensive if you're fighting for $20 salary.

Are you serious or have you never been in a dojo or a gym in your life?
Its crazy I trained almost 4 years way back, and I never got sock at my gym, I actually had no idea what Staph was when I first got into MMA back in 2015 either, my nurse babymoms gave me the info

PS: first time I ever got staph was from HER lmfaoooo

Quick question here: How hard do these UFC fighters train when they are preparing for a fight (maybe in the off season too)? Length of training time per day/week counts too because apparently if you push your body physically beyond the body's recovery limits, you risk overtraining.

One of the symptoms of overtraining includes your immune system taking a big dip in comparison to being fresh and well-adjusted.

Anyone have a theory to explain how comes so many fighters seems to get sick easily? You would think these guys should have superb immunity since they are in a much better shape than most of us and are young. However, excuses after fight always are about being sick during training.
I actually never heard about staff infection before it got mentionned left and right by fighters. Getting skin infection sounds pretty rare to me!

Is it overtraining, steroid, gaining and loosig weight? I am clueless!
weight cutting

Anyone have a theory to explain how comes so many fighters seems to get sick easily? You would think these guys should have superb immunity since they are in a much better shape than most of us and are young. However, excuses after fight always are about being sick during training.
I actually never heard about staff infection before it got mentionned left and right by fighters. Getting skin infection sounds pretty rare to me!

In my bro science mind, when you're training hard, your body's immunity and energy is going to run low so you're already behind the 8 ball there. It's not necessarily losing/cutting weight but just working, beating your body up and being under stress.

On the contrary - we should be impressed with fighters for pushing through minor illnesses.

Cause you know most of them ain't cancelling because of headaches or minor colds.
But I would.
Even if I WAS a great fighter - I would chicken the hell out because I know just a headache or a tiny cold will impact my athletic ability IMMENSELY: I can run for hours when I'm healty but if I even have a slight cold - I can barely run for a few minutes without feeling like shit.

I wouldn't be able to do martial arts at even 30% capacity if I had a cold. Would instantly cancel my fight if I was a tiny bit ill, because I'd be a shell of myself and would stand no chance.

But you know most guys fight through those kinds of things and only cancel if they have something like staph.

Last edited:
IV ban from USADA really fucks up these big weight cuts. USADA in general has stripped away a lot of the tools fighters used to employ for recovery.

You gotta consider that in MMA you only get 1-4 fights per year, so you don't wanna blow it by fighting ill.
In in team sports you can play ill for a few games and perform like shit, but you can come back to average out your stats because it's a +50 game season.
In MMA you might only get a few chances per year, so you don't wanna waste one by underperforming.
And now people will go "But if you get a chance you gotta take it". But the same people also give zero cred to "excuses" like "I was ill and only 80%".

So when it comes to bigger illnesses and injuries like muscle tears, infections, serious fever etc - it's not at all surprising people wanna cancel and come back another day when they can perform.

Last edited:
A normal person doesn't just breath, sweat all over 20 guys in a closed environment everyday.

How can you not see MMA gyms as a hotspot for any type of virus or bacteria to be passed around.
After a while it should be like my kids at kindergarden. You are sick the first month or so, but after a while it takes much more to get you sick.

On the contrary - we should be impressed with fighters for pushing through minor illnesses.

Cause you know most of them ain't cancelling because of headaches or minor colds.
But I would.
Even if I WAS a great fighter - I would chicken the hell out because I know just a headache or a tiny cold will impact my athletic ability IMMENSELY: I can run for hours when I'm healty but if I even have a slight cold - I can barely run for a few minutes without feeling like shit.

I wouldn't be able to do martial arts at even 30% capacity if I had a cold. Would instantly cancel my fight if I was a tiny bit ill, because I'd be a shell of myself and would stand no chance.

But you know most guys fight through those kinds of things and only cancel if they have something like staph.
Good point. Just a bad night of sleep and I am not the same guy the next day.

Join a grappling club and familiarize yourself with the ringworms and staphs of the industry why dont ya?

I dont care how often you mop the mats, the stuff gets around. People are dirty and rubbing against them can cause all kinds of neat things to get jammed in your pores. The worst is when you have a giant ring worm and you dont notice and somebody has to point it out to you.

Basically my theory is people that train all the time, will still come to the gym even if they have a staph site or a ringworm they are treating.

A mainly positive 1st page until the last post. He asked the forum to educate him, forum obliged. If I knew or cared how to post a gif then hmm yes

maybe Frank Mir nodding with headphones

- Training lowers your immune system, because your body is under stress and rebuilding.
- Also cutting weight for a few days up to 30 pounds. Rolling on the floor in the sweat of 50 people also.
- Stress is a factor, too. If you suck you get beaten to a bloody pulp.
- Traveling

Go train 6 hours a day, 6 days a week and then you'll see.

But I would.

Being ill has never hurt me that much, except the worst case of food poisoning I ever had in a 3rd world country. Do you have an underlying health problem?

Its the hard weight cuts. These guys start cutting calories dramatically even week before. Then week off there barely eating so there starving themselves for a while. Rockhold is a big weight cutter he constantly gets sick week off, would get staph and injured a ton.

Back