1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Fighters being sick all the time

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Migdagen, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Migdagen Purple Belt

Anyone have a theory to explain how comes so many fighters seems to get sick easily? You would think these guys should have superb immunity since they are in a much better shape than most of us and are young. However, excuses after fight always are about being sick during training.
    I actually never heard about staff infection before it got mentionned left and right by fighters. Getting skin infection sounds pretty rare to me!

Is it overtraining, steroid, gaining and loosig weight? I am clueless!

2. Beherit Banned Banned

Training combat sport during a world pandemic aint the best way to stay healthy I guess

3. Apollo33 Brown Belt

A normal person doesn't just breath, sweat all over 20 guys in a closed environment everyday.

How can you not see MMA gyms as a hotspot for any type of virus or bacteria to be passed around.

4. Rvd Slmr Silver Belt Platinum Member

Are you serious or have you never been in a dojo or a gym in your life?

5. LukeSkyrocker Purple Belt

I bet it’s just pure stress. I get sick more often during stressful or transition periods than normal. And training for a fight has got to be right up there for anxiety

Migdagen, Poktori and MPD-Psycho like this.
  6. The UFC Brander Collector Pimp Andrew

And weight cuts affects the body in many bad ways

7. Normot Brown Belt

A gym is a germ factory. Training yourself to the physical limit and surrounded by close contact with 20 other sweaty men every day.
    I haven't gotten sick since the pandemic, fatter and lazier than ever, but no men sweating on my face.

Migdagen likes this.
  8. Volador Black Belt

Things that your immune system doesn't love: training 2 times a day, 5-6 days a week, while in a caloric deficit; dehydrating for 3 days straight, and then gaining 20lbs in 24hs, then doing it again several times per year; taking blows to the head, body and legs with no regard to your health until you literally can't keep going or your opponent can't; rolling around in bacteria juice and blood from several other people while you have open cuts in your skin.

ralek4grammy, Mickf, Miesha and 8 others like this.
  9. tramendous Silver Belt

You ever seen their training conditions? Bunch of tired sweaty dudes sparring. Drastic weight loss compromising immune systems.

10. DS66 Brown Belt

Many obvious factors here. The big one is just being run down from training hard and not sleeping/recovering enough, that's when the body tends to get sick. And of course being in close proximity with a gym full of other sweaty men all day creates opportunities for viruses/bacteria to spread. Not to mention the extreme weight cuts which brutally destroy the immune system.

Migdagen likes this.
  11. Travis Alexander Amateur Fighter

Weight cuts, rolling with sweaty men daily, wearing training equipment such as gloves shin guards etc that may not be washed and disinfected properly. There are a myriad of different reasons for this.

Also worldwide pandemic and fighters MUST break social distance protocols to train, es normal.

12. FIghtxIQ Black Belt

Everyone pretty much answered the question - But yeah it's pretty much due to fighters putting their mind and body through a lot of stress. In training they are usually pushing their bodies to their physical limits, add in the bumps and bruises from sparring and your body is always at a weakened state - your body is constantly in a healing stage.

Their immune system is stronger but over training will make it easier for them to get sick as well. It's finding the balance and listening to your body when you need to rest.

Plus all the physical contact makes it easier to spread infections/viruses.

Migdagen likes this.
  13. MCS Tech

If you train too much your body gets weaker. It gets stronger during recovery. Fighters usually train too much and too hard. There is a medical terminology for this, but as I'm a layman these are the terms.

Staph is different. Clean those mats even when champ, Habibi.

Migdagen likes this.
  14. pv3Hpv3p Black Belt

Cutting a lot of weight crushes your immune system

I don't get why you'd need someone to explain why staph infections are more common with people who train wrestling and bjj everyday.

15. Lucas1980 Orange Belt

Fighters were getting sick way before this Epidemic though. But maybe that'll change since the flu season is at a record low so far this year.. It's so strange.

16. superpunch Banned Banned

They spend 40 hours a week breathing into 50 other guy's faces from inches away and making skin contact.. If one guy has anything, then the entire gym gets it. I'm actually surprised that serious blood borne illnesses like HIV and Hep C don't get passed around.

17. DR Nick White Belt

Mma fighters seem to get staph infections all the time. It's the only sport where it seems pretty common. Is it just from people being dirty bastards?

Migdagen likes this.
  18. superpunch Banned Banned

Staph spreads happens in wrestling, and also in 3rd world boxing gyms (boxing is less risk than wrestling but third world gyms don't clean their shit), all the time.

19. AdamantiumPimmel Purple Belt

it's because modern mma fighters are half time politicians

20. The Chosen Yellow Card Yellow Card

Fucking hell what a dumb post

Harlekin likes this.