Fight shorts, loose or tight?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by USAMMAFAN, Aug 23, 2005.

1. USAMMAFAN

USAMMAFAN Proud member of the "Reality based community"

Besides the obvious difference in they way they look.

What is the difference when fighting in MMA between wearing the tight fitting lycra style of short (cro-cop) and the looser fitting SPRAWL style of short (mir)?

Are the looser fitting ones more comfortable and the tight lycra style ones better because there is less material for your opponent to grab?

I did a search and found nothing on this topic.

What is your choice for fighting in MMA competitions loose shorts or tight, and why?

Thanks in advance

2. migo**

migo** Guest

It depends, they both give you an edge in some areas and a disadvantage in others, it also depends on the rules. I find loose shorts are good because it makes it harder for them to slip out of triangles, on the flip side it can also make it harder to get out of leg locks for you. Also, if they're allowed to grab the shorts then you can run into a fix with kimuras. Try both out and see which works better for you. I do loose shorts since I like triangles.

3. scorcho

scorcho Brown Belt

I think it is more of a fashion statement than anything else. A lot of guys who wore tight shorts a few years ago now wear loose shorts (Sato, Kawajiri, Horn, etc).

Loose shorts are just "in" now. Try both and see what you like.

4. Foolkiller

Foolkiller You have meddled with the primal forces of nature!

Part of the only one holistic system of systems
    I prefer loose fit shorts that I can wear to the park or beach as well as in training. My friends don't laugh at them for being scarily tight and don't pinch lycra so it snaps back on my ass these days with my nogi USA and Sprawl shorts.

5. Dolorem666

Dolorem666 Yellow Belt

i always thought tight shorts looked kinda gay...

6. migo**

migo** Guest

Try not to let them turn you on.

7. Little Mac

Little Mac Green Belt

I wear both..But I perfer The Loose shorts..My Frank Mir Cross Trainer Shots are my favs thus this far..(I got them at the Las Vegas Combat Club) I also now and then wear my Brazilian Top Team Shorts(Tight),,,Either Way I go roll with both

8. Fzubek

Fzubek Brown Belt

Loose is way more comfy, and you get more bang for your buck, you can train anywhere and not look wierd.

9. UltimaMMA

UltimaMMA Orange Belt

I wear loose because it is easier to move in with a cup.

10. PhenøM

PhenøM MMA Gear Aficionado

Tight though, IMO is the ultimate because of the freeness. You can throw vicious kicks or knees without having to adjust your pant leg which I find I have to do some time. Plus I could care less what other ppl are think, OMGosh he must be gay because he wears vale tudo shorts. I bet they don't have the guts to say it to my face :/

11. sir037

sir037 Forever Noob

I don't have the body for vale tudo shorts, but even if I did, I think I'd still go with the loose fit.

12. DeltaSigChi4

DeltaSigChi4 Banned Banned

There isn't a single person that uses tight VT shorts in the region I train in (Hawai'i) [At least that I have seen], therefore although I have some VT shorts, I only wear them under my gi and I use loose fit to roll no-gi.

E

13. djfix8

djfix8 White Belt

Streetsville, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, North
    I wear the loose ones (Sprawl / FCF) but i do have a pair of tight one which i wear when i'm cross-training. I wear it under my Thai shorts and just take those off when i'm ready for my grappling classes.

Both are great, but the loose ones are nice since you can wear them anywhere. More bang for you buck.

14. muaythaiman

muaythaiman Green Belt

I have a Badboy's tight short.(pretty old)
    But...I like loose shorts too(Inspirit,Sprawl).
    BTW,I most like muay-thai shorts.

15. Dolorem666

Dolorem666 Yellow Belt

Some guys don't look weird in tight shorts, guys like CroCop and Shamrock with huge thighs and all but I reckon some people just suit baggy shorts and for some, myself included, it just feels more comfortable and natural.

16. Odium

Odium Orange Belt

There's a thread on this subject from way back, http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=225176.

I train in both, and when freedom of movemnet really is imortant, lycra is the way to. It never hinders your movement. Sprawl is very good too with their flexpanel in the middle, and they look super, so I use them too.

17. CHawkins

CHawkins Blue Belt

I have a body like Cabbage. Nobody wants to see that in Vale Tudo shorts. :D

Board shorts are the way to go for me.

18. ObsceneJester

ObsceneJester Banned Banned

Really? Never really noticed that

19. infamous mattyd

infamous mattyd Brown Belt

I feel your pain

20. CoutureFan16

CoutureFan16 Purple Belt

I would never wear tight vale tudo shorts, no way, I definitely dont have the build for it. I love loosefit shorts (SPRAWL BABY!). I have a pair of the original Frank Mir X-Trainers and I also recently picked up a pair of the New '06 Competition Series shorts, and let me tell you, fucking incredible. They are really a huge step up from the old ones. The adjustable waist is sweet. They are loose shorts but at the same time snug, very comforotable, if you dont already own a pair, get some!