Fight Recommendations For Outstanding Grappling Exchanges?

For your perusal, I asked something similar years ago. I'm sure a lot of the recommendations in that thread have already been mentioned here, but you never know:

Gamot vs Arman is MMA wrestling at its finest

Islam vs Arman is another good one

Nog vs Couture is one of my favourite modern UFC fights because of the grappling.

It's been a long time since I saw Paulson vs Hume, but it's frequently regarded as the first modern MMA match in the NHB days and I seem to recall grappling exchanges being a huge part of that.
Frank Shamrock vs. Alan Goes was another very early one. Frank had like 1 year of experience/training in Pancrase and held his own with a BJJ black belt.

Kimo vs. Royce was fun. too. Everyone expected a 30 second submission by Royce, but Kimo used his strength, high school wrestling background and a little second-had GJJ training (if the rumors are true) to give Royce a surprisingly good fight.

These aren't modern ADCC quality fights, but showcased grappling pioneers in the very early days of the sport.

Last edited:
Probably mentioned already but I like Maia vs Jason Macdonald even though it was one sided.

I'll recommend the fight I always do.

Demian Maia vs Jason MacDonald. UFC 87.

Fantastic back and forth grappling exchanges, sub attempts from each guy, fantastic fight.

Was going to say this.

Diego Sanchez vs. Nick Diaz
Joe Daddy Stephenson vs. Luke Cummo

No finishes but great grappling exchanges.

Back