Few things about the BJJ Rape case

G

GeeSPee

I have trained with Matthew (the accused) and he is a great kid, very soft spoken (unless arguing with a ref but hey he is competitive) highly skilled, dedicated, and I was shocked to hear what happened!! He has a close family and this "act" is so outside Matthews character that I didn't believe it until I read it.

If he did what he was accused of...he was drunk off his ass and out of control...bc this is completely NOT in his character!! Im sure many of you have painted a view of "the rapist" as some monster BJJ meathead or something but that could not further from the truth!! Matthew is great kid who made a HORRIBLE decision while drunk. Which does NOT excuse what he did whatsoever....please dont get me wrong!!

I used to run my own martial arts school and I held bi-annual rape prevention seminars to teach woman everything they need to know about rape....so I take that stuff extremely serious!! Its the grossest thing a man can do to a woman....so I feel for the victim in every way. And "IF" anyone rapes a woman he should absolutely go to jail and should feel what it is like to be f*cked without wanting it!

Also lay off Lloyd Irvin....Matthew was not a long time student of his!! He used to train in NY, then went from school to school to learn as much as possible and only went to Lloyd Irvin bc in his opinion (and mine) Lloyd is the best competition training coach in the country and probably the world....so Lloyd does NOT in any way deserve any heat for Matthew being "his" student, bc he was not. Lloyd's was probably the 5th school that Matt trained at.

So the fact that something rape related happened to Lloyd twice is bad luck! He deserves absolutely NO criticism for what happened!

In any case.....my heart goes out to the victim. I hope she heals mentally and physically and is able to move on with her life, and as much as I hate to see Matt go to jail, I hope justice is served and all the truth is brought to light....whatever that may be!

Why would you imagine that just being on the mat with someone means you know their "true" character?

The criticism of Lloyd has generally centred on how he's reacted to this case and the prior incident that he was personally involved in.

i've been drunk out of my mind before and have never felt the urge to rape a 17 years old girl. so i don't know what you're talking about.

LI was Matthew's 3rd school. He trained at Gracie Barra, then Alliance and then he moved to LI, and yes... like it or not Matthew in fact was his student when this happened. LI is not getting criticism only for Schultz's and Maldonado's rape charges, but for his attempt to ignore and cover up his own rape trial.

The notion that someone seems like a "good guy" and that they are incapable of a heinous act is just naive.

Case and point:

OJ Simpson
Ted Bundy
Jeffery Dahmer

Sometimes being nice is what disarms the rape victims first.

What's the point of your post? The facts speak for themselves.

Well geespe you can save this so when your rapist buddy Mateo comes out of jail after 12 years you can show it to him and brag how fair, measured, suportive and understanding your post on Sherdog was. You can get drunk together then 'cos its OK.

Last edited:
The whole ''he's a good person who did something bad'' thing is horseshit. Good people do good things. You can never excuse what he did, and I hope a surprise runaway horse stomps his balls some day.

Did u morons read my entire post? Or just reply to whatever ONE sentence u chose to reply to? Nevermind Im on Sherdog expecting people to have IQs over 73....my bad.

you're a fuckin idiot, there is no excuse for rape what so ever, i hope he gets raped in jail or his sister gets raped and maybe then he will know what it feels like :)

I have trained with Matthew (the accused) and he is a great kid, (...)

but unless something surprising invalidates the tape, also a rapist? It's interesting to me that your reaction is to see the rape as out of character and some sort on unique event - a "mistake" - rather than to think that maybe you misjudged his character. I'd rather judge people by their actions.

I'm not sure why you feel your personal viewpoint needs its own thread? I'm pretty sure you already posted in the big one, much like other people who know or know of the alleged rapists.

I have trained with Matthew (the accused) and he is a great kid, very soft spoken (unless arguing with a ref but hey he is competitive) highly skilled, dedicated, and I was shocked to hear what happened!! He has a close family and this "act" is so outside Matthews character that I didn't believe it until I read it.

If he did what he was accused of...he was drunk off his ass and out of control...bc this is completely NOT in his character!! Im sure many of you have painted a view of "the rapist" as some monster BJJ meathead or something but that could not further from the truth!! Matthew is great kid who made a HORRIBLE decision while drunk. Which does NOT excuse what he did whatsoever....please dont get me wrong!!

I'll explain it again. Maybe he was a great kid, but he's not anymore. Great kids don't rape women. He's also 26, way beyond ''kid'' age. And it IS in his character to rape women, because he DID IT. That part of your post is moronic at best.

Did u morons read my entire post? Or just reply to whatever ONE sentence u chose to reply to? Nevermind Im on Sherdog expecting people to have IQs over 73....my bad.

So the fact that something rape related happened to Lloyd twice is bad luck!

Yeah, poor Lloyd...

After reading your post in its entirety I conclude that your IQ is way below average Sherdog poster. Your moral compass is also completely skewed.

The notion that someone seems like a "good guy" and that they are incapable of a heinous act is just naive.

Case and point:

OJ Simpson
Ted Bundy
Jeffery Dahmer

Sometimes being nice is what disarms the rape victims first.

leave oj alone

It's the first two PARAGRAPHS of your post that most are responding to, plus your incorrect assumption regarding LI having nothing to do with rape, and just being unlucky twice. Fact is, LI was lucky as hell, since he somehow convinced a jury that he didn't rape her, cause he was limp.

Based on the facts, and your own words, you have horrible judgement of character, and you seem to think that alcohol is an excuse. Shame on you.

the fact that he was jovial and friendly to you has no bearing on what kind of person he actually is. There have been plenty of monsters throughout history who play with their kids, help their friends out when they need it, and kiss their wife before they leave, and then go out and commit murder, theft, rape, and even genocide before coming home to a nazi family. this dude betrayed this girl's (they were teammates) trust on such a cosmic level it goes beyond even the rape

LI was Matthew's 3rd school. He trained at Gracie Barra, then Alliance and then he moved to LI, and yes... like it or not Matthew in fact was his student when this happened. LI is not getting criticism only for Schultz's and Maldonado's rape charges, but for his attempt to ignore and cover up his own rape trial.
It's his fifth school.

Matthew started here in upstate NY at a small school for a couple years, moved down to Joe Scarola's/Serra-Longo for BJJ/MMA training for a few months, switched to Alliance NYC for several years and had just switched to TLI a couple months ago.

How do I know? I am part of the school where he first started and had followed the career of my one time friend and training partner with interest.

All of us at the aforementioned upstate NY grappling school are horrified and sad that the trust of teammates was broken, that a woman's life was hurt and that these two young men decided that raping someone was a good idea. The fact that it was out of character with our previous knowledge means little. The sexual assault happened and it's incontrovertible that Matthew had a considerable part in it.

He's a non-entity to me now. As he should be to those who knew him.

Please, let's be more constructive than to create threads defending him. Perhaps contributing productively to sexual education and sexual assault prevention is a better usage of our time.

You know what. Most friends / neighbours /family/ gets shocked when some one they know gets charged with rape. See there is NO way to know who will become a rapist. Sadly there are no 100% signs or tells if your friend/ neighbours/ family might commit rape.

Well he might be a "good" guy and this is so not who he is... but guess what TS.
THIS IS EXACTLY who he is.

Lay off Lloyd? Why?
The man was involved in a gang rape. He was friends with rapist and he admitted he wanted to rape her but he could not because of a limp dick..

Sorry TS. I think you are on your own.
But hey since Matt is such a awesome guy... would you let him walk your sister or daughter how late at night when she is drunk? You will? Cool!

Back