few HW from USA because they go to NFL but RUSSIA, NETHERLANDS, FRANCE, etc?

where besides boxing? (NFL and NBA are more USA sports, we are talking about the others)

Other combat sports such as judo and wrestling and more lucrative than the MMA. Weight lifting, bodybuilding, strongman competitions other "World Competitions" like the olympics. Sure there are more as well that pay much more than MMA and are comparatively easier.

Other combat sports such as judo and wrestling and more lucrative than the MMA. Weight lifting, bodybuilding, strongman competitions other "World Competitions" like the olympics. Sure there are more as well that pay much more than MMA and are comparatively easier.

Most Euro hockey leagues pay more then a guy makes in a year in UFC, the supposed top mma org in the world.

A lot of the places you mention they would most likely be in hockey. And there are other footballs besides American NFL. Im sure rugby pays on the average more than MMA. And their stars are pretty well known where rugby is played.

where besides boxing? (NFL and NBA are more USA sports, we are talking about the others)

we are talking about other countries, not USA. No one in the world want to be a NFL player, that thing just exists in USA.

that's why your responde make no sense

I guess I didn't read your thread title correctly. I apologize.

Well, Strong men competitions are a big deal.. Olympics are also a big deal..

Foreign nations take pride and follow their competitors... while the USA doesn't. Not everything is about money, maybe??

A lot of the places you mention they would most likely be in hockey. And there are other footballs besides American NFL. Im sure rugby pays on the average more than MMA. And their stars are pretty well known where rugby is played.

Well known ? they are national heroes the same way Russia or Canada views their hockey players.

I guess I didn't read your thread title correctly. I apologize.

Well, Strong men competitions are a big deal.. Olympics are also a big deal..

Foreign nations take pride and follow their competitors... while the USA doesn't. Not everything is about money, maybe??

Russia pays out 50k us to a guy that won arm wrestling (watch a doc pulling john or something like that), they basically pay out any one that wins in anything. Its their way of maintaining national prestige.

Most hockey players are around 6'4. That explains Russia, Canada and the Nordics.

I can understand HW division is very low in talent because every very athletic big guy goes to NFL or NBA, I can understand but...

there are more than 200 countries out there, WHERE IS THE FUCKING TALENT ???!!!

Russia, Netherlands, France, Germany, those strong guys from wrestling in Iran, I dont know, SOMEONE !!!!

Why HW division is filled with fighters from 15 years ago ?? and no newcomer ???

You can say your division has very low talent when guys who were relevant 10 years ago, WHEN MMA (training/technique/level,etc) was nothing is today, are STILL RELEVANT NOW.

I dont see royce gracie being champion now, if he were a HW maybe

There's plenty of decent young (say, 32 years old and under) Heavyweights around who have good potential, but most of them appear to be outside the UFC at the moment. Dana and Co. need to go on a bit of a signing spree to refresh the division.

Most hockey players are around 6'4. That explains Russia, Canada and the Nordics.

Most soccer goalies are quite tall and can move good.

Now count every league in Europe, what ever amount of teams then the lower leagues. You literally got a thousand +6 footers that have natural athletic ability Not ever thinking of mma.

Most soccer goalies are quite tall and can move good.

Now count every league in Europe, what ever amount of teams then the lower leagues. You literally got a thousand +6 footers that have natural athletic ability Not ever thinking of mma.

Maybe they just don't want to be hit in the face.

Maybe they just don't want to be hit in the face.

Or maybe they want to get payed get pussy and live like a king.

People take dicks up their ass for money, if the money is good enough.

There are many HW fights in other organisations, but MMA fans ignore them because they are not in the UFC, where the average HW age is nearing 40.

I'm watching Fight Channell every day and I see a good number of good HW fights. Old ones too.

France? Judo and Rugby

Teddy Riner
Country France
Ht: 6'8"
Wt: 290lb+
Reach: 7ft/96"
Accomplishments:
- 2012 HW Olympic Judo Gold Medalist
- 6X World Judo Champion

teddy-riner.jpg

260px-Teddy_Riner_JO_2012.jpg

1053575.jpeg

^ HW champ within 6 months of MMA training.

Chabal-TamponSurAliWilliams1.gif

Last edited:
Despite Danas claims MMA really isn't that big of a sport globally. Its at its most well known, but sports like Rugby and traditional boxing/kickboxing take a lot of bigger guys globally. The amateur system just isn't there globally for MMA for people to really have an easy go of getting their start. On top of that the UFC being an American based company that puts its American fans and fighters first doesn't help. Harder for some behemoth from Wales or Ukraine to get signed.

M1 Global and Bellator does have some decent European HW's though.

The risk-reward for MMA is so high as well. You've got to train for years and years and years in various different martial arts all the time, get some amateur and pro fights under you, impress the right people all while working a full time job then when you get signed by the UFC you make 8/8 or something shitty like that. Huge risk for someone to put all their eggs in that basket and hope someone in the States eventually notices them.

Also, it makes you think how laughable it is that some people consider Jon Jones "the baddest man on the planet". Teddy Riner beats him without any MMA training, he would toss him around like nothing.

Only in Judo, not in MMA.

Basketball is more popular in Europe than MMA.

Rugby (requires size and similar to American football) is popular in Europe and australia.

There are many HW fights in other organisations, but MMA fans ignore them because they are not in the UFC, where the average HW age is nearing 40.

I'm watching Fight Channell every day and I see a good number of good HW fights. Old ones too.
\
God people miss the entire beauty of HW combat sports. Not sure why people can't just do the MMATH on this.

1. The HW division of ALL combat sports IS the power division. [period].
2. As such the potential for a single strike from an opponent changing the course of the fight in greater in the HW division than any other.
3. The single strike effect applies much further into the rankings in HW than any other weight class.
4. Inertia - HW's by the laws of physics are NOT going to be as mobile as lighter fighters. Their natural ability to defend strikes is slower than other weight classes. This make chances of landing these power strikes in the HW division greater than other divisions.

This in itself does not damage the draw to the HW division of MMA so much as the next factors.

5. Pure Striking combat sports are far more limited of "legal techniques". The fighters are far better prepared to defend the far more limited offenses allowed in other contact sports. The fighter has far better control of mitigating the single strike effect in other combat sports defenses than the UFC with it's far more open offensive rules.
6. IMO, this is the big one. MMA a decade + ago ALL MMA HW's were EXPECTED to take a number of losses. We have had like a grand total of 1 MMA HW go on a 5 year run in major organizations. Fedor = GOAT.

MMA HW fighters with a few losses were still considered absolute world class. Try to think of the Prime PRIDE FC HW legends at the time and find one without the better part of a HANDFUL of losses. Five losses as a top MMA HW used to be considered OK. A (one) loss in Boxing at that time made you a can.

It seems that the MMA fans tolerance for less than Fedoresque perfection in the HW division has reached the level of Boxing.

MMA fans have become even more demanding of "perfection" all the way up to HW than Boxing fans.

To be perfectly honest, it would take something approaching mental deficiency for a 200+ pound serious athlete to consider MMA over tiddlywinks at this point.

Blame "tight ass" Dana. . . . all you want.

Truth be told, any large man with serious athletic skills WORLDWIDE are steered clear of MMA directly by the worst fans with the biggest sense of entitlement in the largest MMA organization on EARTH by far.

The average maturity level of MMA fans is lower than any other major sport with the possible exception of NASCAR if you can include that crap as a "sport".

Dick Flick's want 200+ pound male athletes attracted to MMA.

Try respecting Fedor as GOAT. We NONSTOP have to be pelted by HARDCORE MMA fans that not only isn't he the GOAT, but they actually call him a can.

JDS Greatest of all time. One fight later far less, one more fight, and a broken man.
Cain greatest when he beat Brock. Exposed vs. JDS, Greatest again when he revenges that loss x2 and a sealevel only comodity after Werdum.

Does that childish mentality really attract you?

If MMA fans could get the average maturity/ mentality level firmly into human teenage level, we will be far better off attracting athletes.

Until then Elementary children attract no A level 200+ pounds athletes.

FFS, as others have mentioned, The respect level that most large male athletes receive from the nation is beyond your infant imaginations. Is the ENTIRE Sherdog fan base too childish to at least feel embarrassed at what YOU HAVE DONE?

No, no 200+ pound super athlete from any of these countries are going to give up their life being treated as royalty by their countrymen for a short stint in the UFC being bashed mercilessly by the worst sports fans on the history of EARTH.

Stop blaming others for OUR shortcomings. No improvement until the MMA community grows the fuck up!

Athletic 220+ pound guys can make more money in hockey (average NHL salary over a million a year) - for Russia and the Nordic countries this is a huge factor. I

f you're athletic enough to make Olympic gold, that's worth several hundred thousand and a lifetime of nice coaching jobs in most of the world - most countries subsidize Olympic sports well, especially Europe, and there are a lot of well paying coaching gigs. And there are a lot of Olympic sports where being big is a plus.

The Olympics are a much bigger deal in Europe (fame and money) than in America, and most countries win less medals, so winning a medal is a bigger deal.

And then there's basketball (much bigger all around the world than MMA) and volleyball, both of which are much more lucrative even in European leagues than MMA on average (lot's more positions, and the number four basketball player in Europe makes way more than the number four HW in the UFC).

Or rugby, as many have pointed out. Or goalie in soccer (that's NBA/NFL money there, soccer pays very well, and there are a lot of pro-soccer teams around the world).

Even sports like swimming (average guy well over 6 feet) pay more than MMA on average if you're good enough to win medals.

Basically, athletic big men are in demand for sport all over the world, and MMA only pays well for a handful of them, while there's good chances of making excellent money in a lot of other sports. Going into MMA is actually a bad financial option for an athletic big man - its pretty low down on the list.

Back