News Ferreira missed the lightweight limit by 4.5 pounds: fight with Gillespie still on

Well this is rather unwelcome.

Ferreira is part of my treble, and missing weight is a real pet peeve of mine, totally agree with @Substance Abuse , props to Gregor for pursuing with the fight.

This tells us that Gillespie is super confident, and that training or preparation or both has potentially gone badly for Carlos. I’m wondering if I should look at voiding him from the bet or just to stick with it..

Statistically speaking isn't the win percentage significantly higher for UFC fighters who've missed weight vs win percentage of fighters who fought against an overweight opponent?

I could be wrong.

Dissapointed to see this. Really looking forward to this fight, shame if CDF wins now cos it'll taint it

Of course is unacceptable from a professional fighter but a difference of 2 kilos between two non-midgets is not really that significant.
Not when you factor in weight cutting

This shit is getting really out of hand. It's time to really start pushing for new regulations in regards to weight misses. The penalties just are not stiff enough, and this shit happens waaay to often.
I'd prefer if they did away with weight cutting entirely.

I'd prefer if they did away with weight cutting entirely.
Would be nice, I don't know how you would eliminate it entirely though. Nothing I can think of anyways that would stop it outright. Even in onefc with the hydration tests we're still seeing some fights with vast size differences between athletes.

4.5 lbs... likely just decided to not make it and lose part of his purse
Rik, I wanna believe this, but it’s not like Ferreira’s game plan is to gain top control and use his extra weight to aid him keeping Gillespie down. Gillespie being on bottom in this fight is borderline impossible, so the only very slight advantage as far as the extra weight itself goes is regards to back control, which again isn’t a huge consideration.

My fear is that Carlos has had problems during camp, either injury or some kind of weight issue or that his prep has been hindered. In which case it’s a bad look considering their styles.

The only good that can come from this is if Ferreira now packs more of a punch than his previous few fights, and even then I feel a bit of a dick rooting for him to wreck Gregor having missed weight by as far as he has done

Quit cutting with plenty to go to prevent depletion anymore.

Props for Gregor to still take the fight.

Damn, Gillespie can’t catch a break.

He finally makes his return and he has to fight a guy that didn’t try to cut weight..

At least the fight is on
This.. but then not this.
Obviously it’s a cool fight and one we very much anticipate, but on the flip side fighters should just make weight or move division, unless it’s very short notice, which it wasnt.. and allowing fighters to miss weight by 4.5lbs and potentially still stand to climb the rankings in their supposed division is not cool.

He's a big guy so not shocked but 4.5 is rough.

This shit is getting really out of hand. It's time to really start pushing for new regulations in regards to weight misses. The penalties just are not stiff enough, and this shit happens waaay to often.

30% of your purse, when you fight maybe twice a year, is an extreme penalty. I agree that issues stemming from weight cutting are out of hand, but ever more severe penalties aren't the way to fix it.

More generally, meaning this isn't aimed at you personally, it sure seems like a lot of fans complain about fighters being underpaid, but then are fast as hell to demand more money in penalties for any infraction. What if you were fined tens of thousands of dollars for mistakes you make at work?

Damn the way UFC treats Ferriera , he has not been getting name fights now he can go on 20 fight streak and still wont get a shot

Rik, I wanna believe this, but it’s not like Ferreira’s game plan is to gain top control and use his extra weight to aid him keeping Gillespie down. Gillespie being on bottom in this fight is borderline impossible, so the only very slight advantage as far as the extra weight itself goes is regards to back control, which again isn’t a huge consideration.

My fear is that Carlos has had problems during camp, either injury or some kind of weight issue or that his prep has been hindered. In which case it’s a bad look considering their styles.

The only good that can come from this is if Ferreira now packs more of a punch than his previous few fights, and even then I feel a bit of a dick rooting for him to wreck Gregor having missed weight by as far as he has done
It's not about being heavier, it's about getting a headstart on hydration, not wrecking himself to make weight, there's only so much you can do between now and the fight so if he's already feeling fine then that's a huge advantage.

Statistically speaking isn't the win percentage significantly higher for UFC fighters who've missed weight vs win percentage of fighters who fought against an overweight opponent?

I could be wrong.
I don’t know but I don’t doubt you’re wrong for a second.
This is why statistics are misleading, because each fight is different and many of those wins would, I can only assume, either been fighters that came in heavy whom used that weight to their advantage in a grappling scenario, or guys who benefited substantially from not only their easier weight cut but from their opponent having had to cut weight.. ie during the fight the fighter who made weight, became drained of energy sooner.

This would seem only not apply in this instant, because Ferriera isn’t getting top position and because Gregor is still going to potentially have more gas anyway as his weight cut is not brutal and he has been achieving it for many years.

Or I am just doubting Ferreira having included him in my treble, that’s also possible

Back