Favourite ON flavour?

Wild Dan Hibiki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys (thanks to agression BTW for the link), i'm about to invest in a 5lb tub of ON 100% whey protein and i just wanted to know which flavour you guys think will go down the easiest (from past experiences protein shakes dont stay down very well lol).

Thanks

I don't like ON Whey for a few reasons, but if you are absolutely set on going that route, use chocolate or vanilla. Chocolate is the most palatable (IMO) in water or milk. Cocoa alkaloids are pretty good with masking the natural flavor of proteins. This is why, whether they know it or not, every company produces a chocolate flavor. If you are feeling a bit more exotic, and you aren't afraid of some high-glycemic carbs (e.g. post-workout applications), the vanilla isn't too bad in orange juice. Either way, you won't exactly be savoring the flavor. Hold an chug...

Chad Hamilton said:
ON is shit
So is Myoplex
Both inferior

What about ON is shit? It seems the same as every other whey protein concentrate out there.

Yep
When compared to concentrates, you are correct.
Concentrates are shit...inferior forms of protein and no longer a whole food product.
It's been heated, cooked, otherwise known as denatured.
So I'll let someone else go off on that point.

Chad Hamilton said:
Yep
Concentrates are shit...inferior forms of protein and no longer a whole food product.

errr... so what exactly should i be using then?

I recently purchased this product for my store.
Have a few containers as samples and I love it.
It's unique at least, and from what I know it's a reputable...more designer brand.
Which I like much more than companies like ON and such.

Chad Hamilton said:
Yep

Chad,

It seems that you are a big promoter of whey isolates (WPIs), and that is both fine and justified. However, concentrates (WPCs) are not as bad as you seem to be portraying. The only difference between the two is that a WPI contains, by mass, 90% or more protein; whereas, WPCs contain between 80-89.99%. Yes, the extraction processes often differ slightly, but in truth, WPIs are more refined and hence, they are more subject to denaturation.

This brings up another point. Too many people synonymously use "denatured" and "useless" when referring to proteins. This is simply untrue. Denaturating of protein merely entails a change in the tertiary structure of the molecule. Mildly denaturing a protein can actually increase bioavailability in some scenarios (e.g. cooked vs. uncooked egg whites).

Are isolates and hydrolysates more suitable for post-workout application? Yes, particularly hydrolysates, which require minimal-to-no pepsin and protease exposure. The only reason why WPIs are slightly more readily assimilated than WPCs is that there is less "junk" in the powder to get in the way. Keep in mind that you may be paying 1.5x as much for a 90% WPI than an 89% WPC. In terms of digestion, assimilation, and amino uptake, WPIs and WPCs vary minimally. However, hydrolysates are very rapidly absorbed. For a PWO drink, hydros are the clear winner.

Nonetheless, most any animal-source protein is going to be a good investment, so long as it comes from a reputable company and is used consistently as part of an effective diet/training regimen.

Chad Hamilton said:
I stand corrected.
Thank you.

No problem. I assume you understand that I wasn't trying to call you out on this--I have read through some of your posts, and it seems like you really have your head on straight. The WPC vs. WPI issue is just one that has been subject to a lot of debate. Not only that, but all of the different filtration/extraction mechanisms have been thrown around as being superior to one another, as well. The supplement industry is quickly becoming one gigantic mess, due to a few rotten eggs. And of course, we can blame those trouble-makers for the miles and miles of red tape that are being wrapped around retailers and manufacturers... Oh well. This is meant for an entirely different thread.

By the way, if you don't mind me asking, what type of store do you run?

Im using ON vanilla right now and I dont like the taste at all. I prefer vanilla and banana from Dymatize and vanilla from MRM.

A_bomb47 said:
Im using ON vanilla right now and I dont like the taste at all. I prefer vanilla and banana from Dymatize and vanilla from MRM.

I don't know if you saw my previous post in this thread, but you are stuck with ON vanilla, and you aren't carb-phobic, try it in orange juice. Doesn't quite taste like a Dreamsicle, but it is much more palatable than mixing it in H20 or milk. IMO, at least. Plus, it makes for a pretty good PWO drink.

Terumo said:
No problem. I assume you understand that I wasn't trying to call you out on this--I have read through some of your posts, and it seems like you really have your head on straight. The WPC vs. WPI issue is just one that has been subject to a lot of debate. Not only that, but all of the different filtration/extraction mechanisms have been thrown around as being superior to one another, as well. The supplement industry is quickly becoming one gigantic mess, due to a few rotten eggs. And of course, we can blame those trouble-makers for the miles and miles of red tape that are being wrapped around retailers and manufacturers... Oh well. This is meant for an entirely different thread.

By the way, if you don't mind me asking, what type of store do you run?

It's called the Health Food Center, simple enough huh.
5000 sq. ft. facility.
Largest in Oklahoma...shut up, dont laugh.

Back