Favorite PRIDEFC tourney

Which was your favorite GP tournament,old heads??

• Total voters
Your dad trained with Mirko Tiger! awesome
Tigar Gym was apparently full of some of the nuttiest killers on the planet. My dad grew up in Branko Cikatic's era of kickboxing, tons of the guys from that gym we in LUCKO before and after.
I've been hoping for a Balkan resurgence in the sport!

My boy Misaki getting no hespetch so far.

<mma1>
I think anyone who knows anything respects him. Its just he beat an injured Denis Kang to win and it just pales in comparison to the other ones. PPl should def watch his fights with Hendo and Baroni to see how good he was

All were amazing and memorable. I’m going with ‘05, 205lbs. The Chute Box/BTT rivalry at its best. Arona surprising Wanderlei, Shogun avenging that loss.

What an epic MMA time and gathering of the world's best fighters. No one there but absolute savage warriors. No quarter asked, none given, combat sports epitome !

2000 - 2006 was a time of Pride warriors who fought to prove they were unbeatable.

Reactions: HHJ
Royce vs Sakuraba is such a massive moment in the history of martial arts that it almost steals it for me , but the 2005 has so many incredible fights that I have to go with is
I was so spoiled watching these things in my youth I remember thinking “man am I tired of tournaments”

Gomi's run through Kawajiri, Azeredo and Sakurai does it for me.

Gomi is my favourite fighter of all time. He beat the shit out of Kawajiri, who was considered to be his biggest Japanese rival and challenge in the whole division at the time.

Then winning the rematch with Azeredo, who fought like a fucking nutcase.

Then capping it off with him beating an all time great in the final in Sakurai, by one punch KO. Beautiful.

Shogun's is probably objectively the best, but it comes a close 2nd for me.
agreed and well said. captures the actual moments, the beats that are missed outside of records. these were the stories going on, before, in-between, during, and after the tournaments. Kawajiri, the crusher was a total fucking beast. This was going to be no easy feat for Gomi. And Gomi demolished the crusher. The Sakurai KO too? Man, Gomi was a fucking beast back then. One of my favorite LWs of all time.

Great thread @HHJ

I have these cards on DVD and the 2003 GP is the one I watch the most so that is my vote. Chuck knocking out skinny reem cracks me up and the way the final ended was epic.

That said as you mentioned bushido 9 is right up there. All time fucking card.

Still don’t know what the fuck was up with Jens Pulvers hair 🤣

Everyone knows only the toughest of the tough,the legends, the immortals can survive the six month four fight death tournament to become lord and master of the lands and seas.

ALL ROADS LEAD TO SAITAMA, BITCH

so pick yor favorite one,and why.

View attachment 1042785

View attachment 1042786View attachment 1042787
View attachment 1042788

View attachment 1042789
View attachment 1042790
View attachment 1042791
Quality posting sherbro my personal favourite was that 2006 open weight because Mirko winning it was extra special but there is no wrong answer. They were all epic.

Mirko: This is the best moment of my life. The Money means nothing. People think we are being paid millions of dollars. I would give a million dollars if I had for this. All through my career, All I wanted was to be the best.

Cro_cop_Pehar.jpg

I'm not sure any fighter in human history would have beaten CroCop in the 06 Grand Prix.

Love them all but

PRIDE 2005 205lb GP is my favorite

wanderlei-vs-rampage-staredown.gif

Giving the 2005 LWGP a vote as I think it deserves it, people forget how many great matches that had, indeed I would argue every fight in it is at least very good bar Azeredo's opening win and that was still a very fast KO.

Last edited:
Back