Favorite Political Songs - Thread

Bruce Springsteen probably has 20 great songs with strong enough political themes to be worthy of mention. Ghost of Tom Joad, Born in the USA, and Youngstown, to name a few.

Pink Floyd - Sheep

Have you heard the news?
The dogs are dead
You better stay home
And do as you're told
Get out of the road if you want to grow old

Metallica - ...And Justice For All

Halls of justice painted green
Money talking
Power wolves beset your door
Hear them stalking
Soon you'll please their appetite
They devour
Hammer of justice crushes you
Overpower

Gojira - Global Warming

I had this dream, our planet surviving
The guiding stars always growing
And all the worlds
The fates all the countries
They're all rebuilding at the same time
I never fell and always believed in
We could evolve and get older
Open your eyes and let all this flow
Now see a now hope is growing inside
We will see our children growing

Most of the songs are just a bunch of wealthy musicians whining about how terrible America is. Yawn.

<DisgustingHHH>

It never ceases to amaze me how someone who exudes so much sorrow could be so emotionally shallow.

I am emotionally shallow because I am bored and tired of the endless anti-American songs that are fashionable among teenagers and emotionally stunted adults? You could find most of the songs featured in this thread in a Teen Vogue magazine.

teen-vogue-amandla-stenberg-solange-knowles.jpg

LOL at thinking anti-nationalism or empathy for other countries' ctiizens is more inauthentically pop cultural than the dime store commercial patriotism you posted.

To be clear, you are saying that Toby Keith is more intellectually or emotionally deep than artists like Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Mos Def, Radiohead, and Thrice.

JFC, I've never seen someone so perfectly demonstrate the application of Dunning-Kruger to consumption of the arts. Go stretch your intellectual and emotional hammies by listening to Ted Nugent and Kid Rock and watching Touched By an Angel, you hapless cunt.

EDIT: Also LOL @ even the insinuation that talking about problems in America like poverty, war, or declining rural areas is anti-American. Useful idiocy.

Artist: Neil Young
Song: Be The Rain
Album: Greendale
Year: 2003

Save the planet for another day
"attention shoppers, buy with a conscience and save"
"save alaska! let the caribou stay"
Don't care what the governments say
"they're all bought and paid for anyway"
"hey big oil, what do you say?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool thread. This is an all time favorite of mine.

Cool thread. This is an all time favorite of mine.

Here is the original version. That one is from the remastered/remixed version which features new vocals since the originals were lost. Still the lyrical content is as usual damn good.

Death - The Philosopher is another good one by the greatest guitarist ever in my opinion

The lyrics for the chorus are amazing.
Lies feed your judgement of others
Behold how the blind lead each other
The philosopher
You know so much about nothing at all

Last edited:
Here is the original version. That one is from the remastered/remixed version which features new vocals since the originals were lost. Still the lyrical content is as usual damn good.

Death - The Philosopher is another good one by the greatest guitarist ever in my opinion

The lyrics for the chorus are amazing.
Lies feed your judgement of others
Behold how the blind lead each other
The philosopher
You know so much about nothing at all

RIP Chuck.

Blackbird lyrics have been in my sig since I could have one. The song has had a few meanings attached to it. From it being about a metaphorical awakening to support of the Black Panther movement. Usually explained as a sort of lamentation of the state of race relations in the US during the civil rights movement. Social politics fascinate me as they always end up dictating policy and I'm a yuuge Beatles fan, so, yeah.

"I was in Scotland playing on my guitar, and I remembered this whole idea of "you were only waiting for this moment to arise" was about, you know, the black people's struggle in the southern states, and I was using the symbolism of a blackbird. It's not really about a blackbird whose wings are broken, you know, it's a bit more symbolic."

- Paul McCartney

I heard it explained as a civil rights song, but "bird" specifically references a girls. So "black girl singing in the dead of nigh...".
I absolutely love his song.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back