Favorite Political Songs - Thread

For me, it doesn't get better than the Vietnam era protest songs. They managed to be truly mainstream, musically powerful, and actually affected people. Masters of War and Fortunate Son are my faves.

I love California Uber Alles because it's so goddamn obnoxious and I love DK. Suede Denim Secret Police? Mellow out or you will pay? Holy fuck that's funny.

Metallics - Disposable Heroes.

That's about it. Although I pay attention to politics, politics' had never determined what I've listened to, and that's how I prefer it.

Feel like your political beliefs or humanitarian sensibilities can be best represented through song? Post 'em up here. Who knows: it might make you better understand someone else's viewpoint. At worst, you get to discover some good music.

"American Low" - Cassino (poverty in the US South)

"Reason to Leave" - The Narrative (anti-immigration sentiment in US)

"America" - Nas (barbarity of American history)

"Reagan" - Killer Mike (Reagan being an objectively shitty president and shittier human being)

"Freedom Bridge" - The Menzingers (Iraq War, PTSD)

"Black President" - Nas (Obama candidacy for POTUS, representation of black Americans)

"Blood on the Sand" - Thrice (poverty, neoliberalism, American imperialism)

"The Widow" - The Mars Volta (Mexican drug epidemic)

"Come All You Weary" - Thrice (poverty, loss of American Christianity to prosperity gospel)

The Widow isn't a political song. The album is based upon a diary a friend of the band found and the songs relate to people the author of the diary described.

Everything system of a down ever created was brilliant

Union songs

Last edited:
My submission is a song about domestic violence, and the threat of the mundane turning to hatred, as well as possibly of corroding lives.

The "story" accelerates through the underlying, as well as selfish, pathos of the subject in a dispassionate recollection of events up to the violent conclusions, both emotional and physical.

Musically the base is thrubbed like a factory gear on a conveyor belt, while a synthesizer treated guitar twangs through the layers of music and dissipates in an unsettling way, another guitar slinking away at the notes/story of the song, the drums a steady, clapping clang that propels the whole shuttering machine (machine like life) onward till everything collapses in the end under it's own sad weight.

Brilliant.

About Thatcherism causing ghost towns

"After the Gold Rush" - Neil Young (environmentalism, nuclear war)

A song about the plight of the Native Murkans

A song about air pollution

Another song about air pollution

Back