Favorite method of taking the back

Bilial

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Personally, my favorite method is a series I learned from Eddie Bravo. Basically I go: Half Guard (whether I do the lockdown depends on the situation) > Old School > If Old School fails, apply the electric chair > If electric chair fails, pass the leg and take the back.

While I was in class today, our guest instructor showed a pretty nice set up from north south. I figured I'd share it here.

YouTube - Taking the back from North South

*I didn't learn under Eddy personally. I learned it from his books. Sorry if I confused anyone.

Last edited:
"Gift wrap" from the mount or the guard, Arm drag from standing, or strikes from the mount forcing my opponent to roll.

Taking the back, seems so simple but yet so damn hard. Favorite way would be whatever works at the time. I just wish I could be more consistent at attacking my opponent's turtle. The guys that I roll with that all have really good back attacks are all super dangerous at attacking turtle. If you turtle up against them, it's a given that they'll find a way to get the hooks in somehow. Persistence really. Like what it takes to pass guard.

I love the back take from inverted dlr and a lot of times when I am working a pass I will let the guy turtle so I can attack the back.

1. Guard passing that forces them to expose their back.

2. DHG guard outside hook sweep to the back, X-Guard to the back, Half Guard spin under to the back, If I'm playing closed guard --> anytime I can drag the arm passed the midline.

3. If I'm past the guard, I love the twister roll all the way to the back.

4. Just anytime they expose their back a bit and I can take a seatbelt control, I've got it! a la Marcelo Garcia. :icon_chee

I love taking the back from when an opponent turtles, which people do all too freely nowadays. I also like doing it from side control when they expose their back on the far side (coming around). Rear mount is my best finishing position.

Hey guys,

Personally, my favorite method is a series I learned from Eddie Bravo. Basically I go: Half Guard (whether I do the lockdown depends on the situation) > Old School > If Old School fails, apply the electric chair > If electric chair fails, pass the leg and take the back.

While I was in class today, our guest instructor showed a pretty nice set up from north south. I figured I'd share it here.

YouTube - Taking the back from North South

*I didn't learn under Eddy personally. I learned it from his books. Sorry if I confused anyone.

the counter is even cooler.

I like to jump on the back, from lots of places.

I like to go from mount, let him trap my leg in 1/4 guard, like he's going to get his half guard back, so then when I roll the other way and take his back I've already got one hook in.

I don't know too much about grappling yet but I can get someone's back while standing pretty often using their arm

attacking my opponent's turtle.

I'm having a childish moment today I think, that made me howl :icon_chee

Back on topic though, if I can't finish an arm triangle in guard, going to the back is an option I'm always looking to take.

From turtle, reach under with either hand, grab the opposite lapel. Let's say you reach under with your left hand and grab the right lapel. Grab down towards the middle of the stomach instead of by the neck, though. Tuck your right knee between his right armpit and thigh. Roll over your right shoulder while keeping the grip on the lapel. He will roll with you, put hooks in during roll or immediately after. This saves you having to fight to get hooks right from turtle.

just grappling: lockdown to electric chair sweep to back

mma: scissor sweep to mount to fist-o-plata to back

wow, lots of 10th planet practicioners here. I dunno half the terms you guys are using. But anywho, i don't do it as often as i'd like, but i like de la riva guard to back. getting it that way is the funnest and most entertaining for me, but it is not one my top 3 lists of easiests ways for me to take the back from whatever position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back