• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Favorite John Wayne movies?

I realize that this is an old thread, but since it got bumped, and since most will go right to and not go beyond his Westerns - and for good reason, as he's the quintessential movie cowboy - I'm going to list my favorite non-Western roles of Wayne's:

The Long Voyage Home: One of his many films with John Ford, and shot beautifully by Gregg Toland, this one's a WWII naval drama.

Trouble Along the Way: Directed by the great and prolific Michael Curtiz, this is a fun and funny one with Wayne as a former football coach who's hired by a nearly bankrupt Catholic college to whip its football team into shape and bring more money in for the school.

Jet Pilot: The last film from the great Josef von Sternberg (well, the last one that was released - it was actually shot in 1950 but psycho producer Howard Hawks spent almost the whole decade fucking around with it because he wasn't satisfied with it), this is a spectacular color film with amazing-for-its-time aerial sequences. And then while she doesn't even try to do a Russian accent, Janet Leigh is smoking hot in it as a defecting Soviet fighter pilot who hooks up with Wayne.

In Harm's Way: Wayne teams up with Kirk Douglas in a film from Otto Preminger. Enough said.

dcaec766ff25ab9a4c5532b803cd54c3.jpg

Seeing Edward G. Robinson play a Chinese guy in The Hatchet Man is nutty, seeing Katharine Hepburn play a Chinese woman in Dragon Seed is absurd, seeing Mickey Rooney play a Japanese guy in Breakfast at Tiffany's is bonkers, but nothing will ever top this. Ever.

I haven't seen many but True Grit is a classic

Watched Searchers today
It was ok
Personally The Shootist has been his best film so far followed by liberty valance

Searchers would be 3rd and Katie elder would be 4th

I think I'm just going to watch True Grit and leave john wayne movies alone. The shootist is the only film so far I want to watch again.

I've been on a kick recently watching a bunch of Duke movies ( specifically westerns)

So far i've watched
who shot liberty valance
hondo
the shootist
big jake
the searchers

and some more i dont remember the names of lol.
and now i'm gonna watch Rio Bravo.

I have seen a few of his movies like True Grit and the Alamo before, but this is the first time i've made effort to sit down and really try and watch all these old gems. It's been very enjoyable

There's a lot of them on amazon prime and hbomax,.. what are some of your favorite films of his?
I've seen true grit, pretty good

Back