Votes: 56 71.8%
  • Black Sheep

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Berverly Hills Ninja

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Almost Heroes

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters
Tommy Boy will obviously dominate this poll, but I've always had it as #2 behind Black Sheep. Everything about Black Sheep is fucking hysterical to me. Its comedic set-pieces are bigger than Tommy Boy and the laughs are bigger, too.

I also still have this bit memorized:

"I will dance with you inside of the six-sided ring of fire" is one of the coolest and silliest pieces of nonsense ever uttered :D

I also love Spade in Black Sheep. Whenever I'm driving somewhere new and can't get my bearings, I always say, out loud in the car, his line, "Come on, label your streets like the rest of the country." The legendary role for Gary Busey as the one-legged Vietnam vet who watches Bruce Lee Laserdiscs on his pee-soaked couch in his broken down bus in the woods is amazing, and the bit where Spade first runs into Busey and then the old lady is fucking gold. And then of course the Officer Jack MeHoff scene, the bat scene, the hail storm, falling down the hill, the fire extinguisher...literally every scene is a classic.

The thing that always struck me about Farley was that, although he was fat, he seemed like a pretty athletic guy. Even though it was played for comedy, he could sprint around and move pretty explosively. I bet he could hit pretty hard on a football/rugby field.

You bet? You mean you don't know? He put his football prowess on film ;)

This was also part of Kevin James' appeal as another deceptively athletic fat guy among the Farley successors.

Tommy Boy will obviously dominate this poll, but I've always had it as #2 behind Black Sheep. Everything about Black Sheep is fucking hysterical to me. Its comedic set-pieces are bigger than Tommy Boy and the laughs are bigger, too.

I also still have this bit memorized:

"I will dance with you inside of the six-sided ring of fire" is one of the coolest and silliest pieces of nonsense ever uttered :D

I also love Spade in Black Sheep. Whenever I'm driving somewhere new and can't get my bearings, I always say, out loud in the car, his line, "Come on, label your streets like the rest of the country." The legendary role for Gary Busey as the one-legged Vietnam vet who watches Bruce Lee Laserdiscs on his pee-soaked couch in his broken down bus in the woods is amazing, and the bit where Spade first runs into Busey and then the old lady is fucking gold. And then of course the Officer Jack MeHoff scene, the bat scene, the hail storm, falling down the hill, the fire extinguisher...literally every scene is a classic.

You bet? You mean you don't know? He put his football prowess on film ;)

This was also part of Kevin James' appeal as another deceptively athletic fat guy among the Farley successors.

Thats why Ive said Black Sheeps probably the best one. It has alot of great moments in it.

Its also only 1 of 3 movies that Gene Siskel ever walked out on.

Thats why Ive said Black Sheeps probably the best one. It has alot of great moments in it.

And it's the best of both worlds. On the one hand, it does have a lot of great moments in it. But it's not just a random collection of moments. On the other hand, it's got a solid story with his brother's political campaign and the conspiracy that they uncover, and it's far less contrived (better written and better acted) than in Tommy Boy. Dennehy's relationship with Farley felt perfunctory and Tommy was too much of a kid for there to be genuine pathos, whereas in Black Sheep there's real humanity to Farley's character. He literally is the black sheep, he's always making the wrong move and letting someone down, yet he tries so hard to come through for those who mean the most to him. This makes the drama more resonant and the comedy even funnier. Everything works perfectly IMO. It's everything you could want from a comedy.

Its also only 1 of 3 movies that Gene Siskel ever walked out on.

<Fedor23>

The price for being a snob is missing out on a lot of awesome shit.

As not just a cinephile, but as a film scholar, I feel embarrassed for them. To be so out of touch is actually quite an achievement. If Chris Farley isn't funny then the word "funny" is meaningless. They had the same reaction to Jim Carrey and Ace Ventura, which they thought was "appallingly" bad and unfunny.

I don't even want to imagine my life without Chris Farley and Jim Carrey.

Back