• Good Morning Vietnam

• The Living Daylights

• No Way Out

• Nightmare on Elm Street 3 Dream Warriors

• Beverly Hills Cop 2

• Raising Arizona

Results are only viewable after voting.
The Monster Squad.
MV5BOTk2OTFlYmQtYzVkNy00ZjM5LThkOGMtOTg0Y2JmZGYwOWY0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UY1200_CR85,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg
Underrated classic, featuring a werewolf getting kicked in the nards.

Had to go with The Running Man. Huge Arnold fan and that's one of my favorite movies of his. They used to play it on cable all the time, I've probably seen it like 20 times.

Also goddamn you can make a poll for any year in the 80s and it's just stacked.

predator tied with lethal weapon for me.

the untouchables and good morning vietnam are criminally overrated movies. its sickening.

Had to go with The Running Man. Huge Arnold fan and that's one of my favorite movies of his. They used to play it on cable all the time, I've probably seen it like 20 times.

It did always tend to get lost in the shuffle a bit relative to how many great films he was in during that era and with Robo the same year but I think it holds up very well.

The ironic thing is for all Hollywoods talk of being "progressive" I think action blockbusters around this point were actually MUCH more gutsy in terms of taking aim at the establishment than they are today. Robocop, Total Recall, Aliens, Running Man, etc were all VERY anti Reaganist capitalism, certainly not short of competent female characters either.

87 is up their with 84 as maybe my favourite year, top 10 of something like...

Angel Heart
WIthnail and I
Predator
Full Metal Jacket
Wings of Desire
Robocop
The Untouchables
Running Man
Near Dark
The Living Daylights

Last edited:
I wasn't alive yet, but I've seen most of these and I've gotta say that '87 was a pretty damn good year for film!

The Princess Bride for me. It's an absolute classic.

FMJ

Gunny Hartman is so underrated as a character in film.

As an active duty guy, there is so much about him I can both love and hate.

I think Full Metal Jacket is probably the best film on there, though Predator is probably my favourite.

Great year for movies. Full Metal Jacket is one of my favorite movies ever, like top 3. Wall Street is also awesome. Predator is a Sherdog classic. The Lost Boys, Lethal Weapon, The Untouchables, Planes, Trains and Automobiles, Robocop, all good. Beverly Hills Cop 2. Some other critically acclaimed movies that I unfortunately haven't seen. Also some cult classics that didn't make the list like The Principal and Death Wish 4 (not saying they should have, just guilty pleasures for me personally :) ).

It did always tend to get lost in the shuffle a bit relative to how many great films he was in during that era and with Robo the same year but I think it holds up very well.

The ironic thing is for all Hollywoods talk of being "progressive" I think action blockbusters around this point were actually MUCH more gutsy in terms of taking aim at the establishment than they are today. Robocop, Total Recall, Aliens, Running Man, etc were all VERY anti Reaganist capitalism, certainly not short of competent female characters either.

87 is up their with 84 as many my favourite year, top 10 of something like...

Angel Heart
WIthnail and I
Predator
Full Metal Jacket
Wings of Desire
Robocop
The Untouchables
Running Man
Near Dark
The Living Daylights
It's interesting how much it has in common with Robocop. Openly mocking the status quo and even predicting the insanity of reality TV. A lot of people dismiss 80s action as just fun schlock, but there's a surprising amount of social commentary there when you take a closer look. Quite progressive too with strong female leads as you mentioned. And without it seeming preachy and hamfisted.

looking at that list,i really can't choose one film.

It's interesting how much it has in common with Robocop. Openly mocking the status quo and even predicting the insanity of reality TV. A lot of people dismiss 80s action as just fun schlock, but there's a surprising amount of social commentary there when you take a closer look. Quite progressive too with strong female leads as you mentioned. And without it seeming preachy and hamfisted.

I suspect part of it is that nominally "serious" sci fi was very hard to get funded post Blade Runner flopping so after that point it tended to need to latch onto either action or horror, a lot of films that might have ended up as straighter sci fi otherwise turned into more larger than life actioners. In a way though I suspect that actually allowed them to get away with more, I mean Running Man the US is a hyper capitalist facist state and Arnie hooks up with someone dressed like Che Guevara to overthrow it.

Its actually during the Clinton years that Hollywood became much cosier with the US military, no more evil/incompetent CIA/FBI men and not just one moral lone solider but the army as a whole saving the day in things like ID4.

Bias, better films are at hand but Dream Warriors has been a Halloween tradition since my teens.

my rational mind fights over Lethal Weapon and Evil Dead 2.

Lethal Weapon won btw.

It doesn't get mentioned much but Full Metal Jacket is basically the inspiration for Tarantino's career isn't it? the black comedy, the sweary larger than life dialog, the use of existing rock music, etc.

Arguably the most influential film Kubrick ever made in that respect.

wow what a year for movies. even all the titles people are posting that are not on the list. damn. at the theaters non stop. i remember a lot of them. most notably nightmare on elm street 3. my neighbor jasper who was older snuck me in. as i was only 8 at the time. was the first time i have ever seen a nightmare movie. horror then had me hooked. but even my love for that franchise i didnt vote for it. there is a better one as full metal jacket is one of the greatest movies of all time not just from that year.

Really? One of the main reasons I went to N'awlins years back, watching that. I didn't know too much about the city before and the architecture looked so beautiful.

Knew about him years before. Sounds like a "my friend's cat told me" but my old HR manager at a company in England's son worked at The Old Vic in London which he owned....it was widely known back then and again I'm going back maybe 15 years. But it was known that he would try it on with young stage hands etc.

You can't deny he was brilliant in American Beauty though.
He's not great. He can spout exposition pretty clearly, but his best talent is in a supporting capacity where his reactions complement whomever is his opposite. His reactions move story. THE NEGOTIATOR is two supporting actors working with each other (it's supposed to be AGAINST), and the energy is really weird. It's hard to know on whom to focus.

I was 97% sure he was gay by '97. Right here:

I was like, "That's a gay man!" [/RickDalton]

He's not great. He can spout exposition pretty clearly, but his best talent is in a supporting capacity where his reactions complement whomever is his opposite. His reactions move story. THE NEGOTIATOR is two supporting actors working with each other (it's supposed to be AGAINST), and the energy is really weird. It's hard to to know on whom to focus.

I was 97% sure he was gay by '97. Right here:

I was like, "That's a gay man!" [/RickDalton]

Damn, you, m80. I don't watch videos at work!!

Back