fav way of getting past full guard

shogunwannabe

White Belt
Reaction score
ive very recently adding a grappling game and have been rolling with with a guy that has nuclear power in his legs, they are like a vice, and i quickly run out of ideas to do something about it. id like to know what people find effective to get a guy to loosen his grip or make a mistake. Obviously this is without punching in the guard, just grappling.

Basic guard pass would be what you need ..

Being that you are new ...

look in teh techniqyes links at the top

stick your elbow into his thighs and dig that s#it in there, between his quads and his hamstrings, that'll get his attention!

for a tight guard give him the can opener. try any of the other standard passes too.

check out sperry's sub grappling tape, a few good passes on it.

Guard Pass 1

Guard Pass 2

^^^Those are two decent guard passes.

Here's another guard pass that I use sometimes.

Guard Pass 3

Those are only a few guard passes that you can use. I think you should have a bread and butter guard pass. Whatever works best for you should be your favorite.

He can't just hold closed guard all day. If he is one of those guys that never opens up his guard, he probably has no open guard whatsoever, so the moment he opens for a sub. or sweep you should be able to pass.

Don't try the digging the elbow into the thighs this will only waste energy against someone good and cause your arms to fatigue quicker.

Say he opens for a scissor sweep without controlling your arms, post the arm on the mat/floor (the side of the sweeping leg) I like posting with my fist, digging it into the ground this should block the sweep by keeping your base. Then say if you posted with your left arm bring it under his right leg reach through so you are holding his left leg then with as little space as possible between you and him (While controlling his left hand with your right hand, be sure when you grip do not have your thumb under your other fingers use a four finger grip) start slowly crawling/passing over his left leg while walking his left arm toward his head then establish a good side control

From the closed guard, bring a knee to the center/into his tailbone. If you bring the left knee to the tailbone, then post your arms into his ribcage right at the bottom of the rib cage, make sure your elbows are fully extend post your back straight up then while making sure to keep him pinned with your arms (so he does not ride up your knee and have room to move around) just look back to the left turning your torso toward the left, be sure not to move your arms or lowerbody only move your back and your head moves with your back. If performed correctly this will easily open guard.
Once you open the guard, pin his left leg with your right forearm, and bring your left knee (center knee) across his left leg being sure to put pressure and drive your shin into his leg again as you go over have little to no space between him and you, also be sure to walk his left arm out by controlling his left hand with your right hand. once and only once the center knee has crossed his left leg do you bring your right leg over his left leg and establish sidecontrol (if you fail to correctly cross the left/center leg over before trying to free the right leg anyone any good on the ground will catch you in half guard.) Once opening the guard you can also use the pass I described for blocking the scissor sweep. I always emphasis controlling the wrist as you cross because a really good open guard and half guard player will everytime use that hand to block your hip from coming over and using that base to shrimp back into full guard.

Hopefully you understood this decently, train both passes, use whichever one works for you the best in competion.

I am now having serious Jiu-Jitsu withdrawal so I am off to get ready to go to the gym. Goodluck learning the ground game.

Those are generally no-gi passes I described though they work with the Gi using the appropriate grips, of course. If I remember I will post two other methods of opening the guard later on today.

FiendishOne said:
He can't just hold closed guard all day. If he is one of those guys that never opens up his guard, he probably has no open guard whatsoever, so the moment he opens for a sub. or sweep you should be able to pass.

Don't try the digging the elbow into the thighs this will only waste energy against someone good and cause your arms to fatigue quicker.

Say he opens for a scissor sweep without controlling your arms, post the arm on the mat/floor (the side of the sweeping leg) I like posting with my fist, digging it into the ground this should block the sweep by keeping your base. Then say if you posted with your left arm bring it under his right leg reach through so you are holding his left leg then with as little space as possible between you and him (While controlling his left hand with your right hand, be sure when you grip do not have your thumb under your other fingers use a four finger grip) start slowly crawling/passing over his left leg while walking his left arm toward his head then establish a good side control

From the closed guard, bring a knee to the center/into his tailbone. If you bring the left knee to the tailbone, then post your arms into his ribcage right at the bottom of the rib cage, make sure your elbows are fully extend post your back straight up then while making sure to keep him pinned with your arms (so he does not ride up your knee and have room to move around) just look back to the left turning your torso toward the left, be sure not to move your arms or lowerbody only move your back and your head moves with your back. If performed correctly this will easily open guard.
Once you open the guard, pin his left leg with your right forearm, and bring your left knee (center knee) across his left leg being sure to put pressure and drive your shin into his leg again as you go over have little to no space between him and you, also be sure to walk his left arm out by controlling his left hand with your right hand. once and only once the center knee has crossed his left leg do you bring your right leg over his left leg and establish sidecontrol (if you fail to correctly cross the left/center leg over before trying to free the right leg anyone any good on the ground will catch you in half guard.) Once opening the guard you can also use the pass I described for blocking the scissor sweep. I always emphasis controlling the wrist as you cross because a really good open guard and half guard player will everytime use that hand to block your hip from coming over and using that base to shrimp back into full guard.

Hopefully you understood this decently, train both passes, use whichever one works for you the best in competion.

I am now having serious Jiu-Jitsu withdrawal so I am off to get ready to go to the gym. Goodluck learning the ground game.

GOOD ADVICE!....havent been here for ages!

against guys with strong closed guards, if i stand up it never fails to open their guard. their weight + pressure from pushing their knees apart is usually too much for their ankles and they open guard.

control the wrist (say their left) and standup with the right foot first so they can't grab the ankle n sweep. still gotta pass from there though...

A new technique I learned with the gi on works really well as I've already used it.
Basaically you want to take the guys belt and move his knot over to the side of his stomach. Then grab his belt with both hands and push the belt upwards to his chest, while scooting out backwards. This will at least break his legs apart, so you can then attempt the pass.

i thank you all very much for your help and advice! especially fiendishone for taking the time to type all that out. i will practice everything, much appreciated guys.

dutchmasterj3 said:
A new technique I learned with the gi on works really well as I've already used it.
Basaically you want to take the guys belt and move his knot over to the side of his stomach. Then grab his belt with both hands and push the belt upwards to his chest, while scooting out backwards. This will at least break his legs apart, so you can then attempt the pass.

And if his belt is loose or not on at all, retie it then proceed with the above. :D

Dedicado said:
stick your elbow into his thighs and dig that s#it in there, between his quads and his hamstrings, that'll get his attention!

Exactly what I was thinking

jahred said:
for a tight guard give him the can opener. try any of the other standard passes too.

check out sperry's sub grappling tape, a few good passes on it.

yeah, I use the can opener

Back