Social Father Sues For $1 Million After Teacher Cuts Daughter’s Hair

A man filed a lawsuit Tuesday against a school district, a librarian, and a teacher’s assistant outside Detroit because a teacher cut his daughter’s hair without her parents’ consent, MLive.com reported.

The lawsuit, filed in federal court in Grand Rapids against Mount Pleasant Public Schools, claims that Jurne Hoffmeyer, who is biracial, experienced racial discrimination, ethnic intimidation, intentional infliction of emotional distress, assault and battery and that her constitutional rights were infringed upon at Ganiard Elementary School, according to MLive.com

Jimmy Hoffmeyer’s daughter’s classmate and a teacher cut her hairmultiple times, Hoffmeyer toldThe Associated Press in April. In March, Jurnee said her classmate cut her hair on the school bus. After the Hoffmeyers complained to the principal and took his daughter to a hair stylist to minimize the damage done, Jurnee’s hair was cut at school again, he told The Associated Press.

Jurnee, who was crying, told her father that her teacher cut her hair to even out the ends, Hoffmeyer told The Associated Press.

The lawsuit names Mount Pleasant Public Schools, librarian Kelly Mogg, and teacher assistant Kristen Jacobs as defendants.

Hoffmeyer then removed Jurnee from Ganiard Elementary.

Jurnee’s Library Teacher, Ms. Mogg had cut off her remaining hair with the assistance and/or acquiescence of Ms. Jacobs,” the lawsuit states. The lawsuit says occurred without consent from Jurnee or her parents. “The Defendants failed to properly train, monitor, direct, discipline, and supervise their employees, and knew or should have known that the employees would engage in the complained of behavior given the improper training, customs, procedures, and policies, and the lack of discipline that existed for employees.”

This is a totally bizarre story. Who the hell do these people think they are? And get that kid into private school pronto.

Discuss

Definitely worth a million dollars.
Imagine the pain and suffering.

To me it looks like the teacher just tried to fix the mess the little girl's classmate (also a small child) did on her hair. Parents are obviously trying to cash in and what should have been small issue will end up scarring the girl's childhood forever.

Good job, dad.

You know now days they have this thing called a cell phone and I'm sure the dad had one. If the child was unhappy and the teacher wanted to help. The school could have called or even texted him. Asked his permission to try and fix it a bit.

If he said yes please give it a try and make sure the other child is corrected on not cutting others hair. Then fine try and fix it. If no then let him handle it.

Most likely the other child was not being a bully but just a child playing at being a "haircut lady".

I would love to hear at why he thinks he should get a million. What he should get is the cost of a haircut and nothing more.

1 million? fuck no.

I would hope that the teacher/ Librarian thought they were helping but still a big overstep on their side.

Boooorn iiiinnnn the usa....

Lmao this sort of stupidity doesn't surprise me, at least it wasn't a school shooting, interesting to see how this pan out. Might get 5000 for compensation if hes lucky.

Poor kid ended up looking like Larry Fine.

They always throw out a big number so they can settle for an amount higher than they'd otherwise get, like selling something on eBay with a list price of $300 when you'd settle for a Make an Offer of $225- which was still a price you were making a good return on.

Are you implying it's ok for teachers to cut their students hair without consent from their parents or caregivers??

No, It's not okay. But it's also not a big deal. Teacher should get reprimanded and they should pay for the next haircut... that's it.

Everybody looking to pay the victim and cash out. Pathetic.

We certainly have a litigious society. As Democrats will say, the pubic school, I'm assuming, has liability insurance to cover any court cost losses. I've noticed it is sometimes said when businesses are looted or large amounts of shoplifting happens.

I wouldn't be that happy either if I was the father, but imagine there to be better ways to communicate displeasure to the school staff.

Different culture hard to judge the extreme greed of people.

The funny thing is 40+ years ago teachers could exercise corporal punishment on students and this would be a complete nothingburger.

lol at a million dollars. Hair grows again, it's no big deal.

Nice money grab on the Dad's part. Notice he isn't suing the parents of the child that originally caused this shit show. He knows that he can't get blood from a stone.

Better to go after the school district if you want them grievance bucks!

Hope this suit fails. Teacher tries to help kid and gets sued?

give me a break. There is nothing malicious here. There is no ill intent. Sure the teacher shouldn’t have done this without getting hold of a parent first but does the punishment fit the crime? Fuck no. At the absolute most tell the teacher “hey don’t do that again”

I Vince MacMahon guaran-damn-tee the father freaked out more than the kid did. She looks sad in the picture cause her dad had been raging.
Odd take.

Ask for a mil, settle for 50k . Half to lawyer, get 25k . Invest it and should have the kids college mostly covered.

Depending on where she goes and whether she stays at home or not, that might cover 2 semesters . . .

Back