Fat loss training for middle-aged women

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Is there any information on what the implications of this with respect to training might be?

Yes, it is very interesting.

Until fairly recently, the research in endocrinological responses to strength training (and different types thereof) was focused on how each strength training program affects the serum hormone levels (acute and resting) and how those hormone levels affect strength performance. Now there are strong indications that the main mechanism of adaptation to strength training might not be hormone secretion but rather adaptations at the level of cell receptors.

To oversimplify, instead of producing a greater amount of serum hormones, the body might adapt to make a greater use of the existing circulating hormones. The way we design new studies and the way we evaluate older findings needs to take this into account.

I just want to know how they got a rat to squat.
Lol!

Turn the weight training INTO her cardio, have her do circuits at 30 seconds maximum effort, 10 seconds rest and cycle for as many rounds as she can go, can maybe add 1 or 2 body weight exercises into the circuit.

Not sure there's any value in listening to these women with their anecdotal evidence - it's the people/persons doing it wrong, the system works for everyone else and always has.

except, as we have been discussing, for middle aged women.

im not trying to be flip, but its also true that loads of anecdotal evidence can be valid places to begin actual research. if someone is being supervised correctly in a program, and still struggles, physiological differences could be one reason.

The effects of intervals (or weight lifting for that matter) on testosterone and GH are exaggerated. Yes, they do cause an increase, but it's not especially large or long term, returning to normal within ~30 minutes. For that matter, the increase in testosterone and GH are connected to the average intensity and time of the exercise, so you can get a similar increase with steady state exercise as well, especially if it's higher intensity. So if there are any benefits from a slight, short term elevation in tosterone, it's not dependant on exercise type.

SpringerLink -
SpringerLink -

That said, I wouldn't discourage anyone who wants to do intervals from doing so. It's good to do conditioning for the anaerobic systems as well, and they're fun and/or a gut check. (Personally I like a mix of steady state and intervals). I just don't like the misunderstandings that create the perception that steady state is bad, and intervals are always the answer.

/agree.

Back