Economy Fast Food Shutting Down due to no Staff- Why don’t they raise wages?

If your easily replaceable and hold no real skills why should you get paid better

Because the alternative is that the government has to subsidize these peoples wages so instead of a mega Corp like Walmart or McDonald's paying them you and I do and McDonald's and Walmart get to pocket all that money ? Is this really that hard to understand.

You can call em low skilled or morons or any other word you want but at the end of the day they gotta live somewhere and eat too it's just a matter of who pays

It's also tedious , and mentally exhausting . It shouldn't be a long term job for anybody
absolutely, my mentor owned a grocery store, he and his family, they all had a million excuses to not do the cashiering, they all acted like they were too good to do the real work, well, it was their business, you'd think they'd be the first to want to do it but no, they'd act like that was beneath them.

For what it's worth though, the workers seem to be oblivious as to just how hard it is to make a business work. I've spoken to several of the workers, years after the store was sold, they all think that it was a mistake and as one of the old cashiers says, "that store was a money machine!" they do not know a thing about how much of each dollar made it's way into anyones pockets, they just saw a till full of cash. Being as close to the owner as I was, unless he was doing a real good con job, he really was losing his shirt on that business near the end.

Fish processing plants went from $2 more than minimum wage ($13 an hour) to over $20 when they lost their precious, government funded temporary foreign workers from overseas up here in Canada. A few of my out of work buddies who were all licensed tradesmen or educated went to work there during the first of the lockdowns when we were all unemployed.

I’m willing to bet they didn’t lose much paying that wage and they attracted much more skilled labour too. Unfortunately, it went back down when their slave labour came back but clearly, it was worth more to pay up than sit vacant and miss out on the fishing season.

Meanwhile, I went from maintenance foreman at a mill to bartending and helping wait tables in like 5 months. I’m back to working in my field but man, this coronavirus has caused some weird times for all.

Fish processing plants went from $2 more than minimum wage ($13 an hour) to over $20 when they lost their precious, government funded temporary foreign workers from overseas up here in Canada. A few of my out of work buddies who were all licensed tradesmen or educated went to work there during the first of the lockdowns when we were all unemployed.

I’m willing to bet they didn’t lose much paying that wage and they attracted much more skilled labour too. Unfortunately, it went back down when their slave labour came back but clearly, it was worth more to pay up than sit vacant and miss out on the fishing season.

Meanwhile, I went from maintenance foreman at a mill to bartending and helping wait tables in like 5 months. I’m back to working in my field but man, this coronavirus has caused some weird times for all.
people should learn humility from it but they won't.

people should learn humility from it but they won't.
You’re right. Still, $21 an hour with a ton of overtime is good in my area. I made $31 as a dual ticketed tradesmen, running a department. They’d have their pick of employees if they paid more but because it’s a crappy job, they mostly just get drug addicts and foreign workers.

I may have been born pretty well off with a few successful family businesses but i wouldn’t think twice about pulling lobster claws over collecting unemployment benefits. I’ll clean shitters too, whatever. If it can keep food on the table, I’ll do it.

This fast food chain pays starting at $12/hr up to $22/hr for it's regular line workers:

In-N-Out-Burger-menu-with-prices-American-Fork-Utah-2017.jpg

I agree with everything about In/Out and how they run shit but c’mon, those mf’ers in there are straight working non-stop production line work the entire shift. Ive never seen one of them stand around long enough to be able to whip out there phone unlike lets say, a regular McD’s out there.

Its like working for a major manufacturing plant where the managers are counting production time and counting every minute loss and eliminating the causes of those losses. Pure production.

Managers get paid trips to Hawaii and fat ass annual bonuses at them In/Outs boi...

For small business they can take the chance. For larger business like fast food chains it not worth the chance.

And I would like to see the fines jump to where it would bankrupt a business if caught.

I would like stiffer punishments too but big corps make you much money to stop hiring illegals. They love the cheap labor. Capitalism has its issues when it comes to this.

all sorts of shit, idle time is truly the devil's workshop, sadly, I think a lot of people can't handle the isolation and have killed themselves, domestic violence has gone up. protests are in my mind just an excuse for people not allowed to gather at bars to get together for the most part. And ya, some people are just sitting on their asses. Hasn't really seemed to stop the virus from spreading, people are still doing whatever the fuck they want to anyway.
Ya all people are different and will approach life differently. It's pretty silly to me that one would waste their time, when they actually have time to think during covid and not improve their homes, establish their own small business or obtain training. I did all of these things and life is good. I wish more people really used that time to figure things out for themselves.

So true.
In chaos there is opportunity.

Ya all people are different and will approach life differently. It's pretty silly to me that one would waste their time, when they actually have time to think during covid and not improve their homes, establish their own small business or obtain training. I did all of these things and life is good. I wish more people really used that time to figure things out for themselves.

I agree with everything about In/Out and how they run shit but c’mon, those mf’ers in there are straight working non-stop production line work the entire shift. Ive never seen one of them stand around long enough to be able to whip out there phone unlike lets say, a regular McD’s out there.

Its like working for a major manufacturing plant where the managers are counting production time and counting every minute loss and eliminating the causes of those losses. Pure production.

Managers get paid trips to Hawaii and fat ass annual bonuses at them In/Outs boi...
You've just helped make the case. Create a positive work environment with workers that are motivated and feel pride in what they are doing. Part of that motivation comes from being treated well and paid adequately. When workers are upset about their pay the quality of work goes down. I've never had a bad experience at an In N Out (just ask for fries well done).

Good. Fast food restaurants are cancerous, and are inflicting great harm on society.

Everyone doesn't need to be within a 60 second drive of a god damn McDonald's at all times ffs. Try making and eating real food you fat asses.

Now imagine you had to pay

Rent
Electric
Utilities
Employees
Insurance
Taxes

Your $500 doesn't even cover rent.

Had an in-depth conversation with a local small farm on this issue. They simply can't afford a $15 minimum wage.

Then they shouldn’t be in business and go under. You’re saying they should basically own slaves because they can’t manage a business well enough to pay $15/hour? Lmfao...

Edit - and better yet, why not just do all the work themselves? Why do they need other people to do it for them? Oh wait...that’s right, they can’t. They’d rather pay unlivable wages, so they can live nice and comfy. Sorry, shouldn’t run a business if you can’t pay good wages. Go work for someone else.

Reassessing what exactly? unemployment if they are receiving it is probably the only thing they are reassessing. Most people working at fast food jobs are either teenager's who don't need to work or an adult whos living pay to pay check at best.

Increased unemployment benefits end in September so I would think you’d wait until then to see if there still are shortages. Good point though that many are teenagers so that wouldn’t be as significant a factor.

Back