• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fast and the Furious animated show coming to Netflix (WTF?!)

Went from import racing to global spy film

Next thing you know, its going to be sci fi on other planets and universes

Yeah, the movies now are so different than it basically like a different series at this point.

I will still watch them but they're basically like 6.5/10s for me now.

Yeah, the movies now are so different than it basically like a different series at this point.

I will still watch them but they're basically like 6.5/10s for me now.
The series is an example of trying to do everything at once like a one man band

The series is an example of trying to do everything at once like a one man band

1 and 3 are still my favorite and those two also happen to be the most grounded, realistic entries in the series.

Maybe I'd feel differently about the newer movies if the series had started out as an over-the-top action series but I just don't love the direction they've gone with it.

Fast Five was pretty good but 4 was terrible, 6 and 7 were fairly good but nothing more than that, and 8 was pretty shitty.

Well when the series first started the whole world of import racing was totally foreign to me. I didn't know anything about it. I guess I was about 19-years-old at the time and the world that first film opened up for the viewer was fascinating to me.

So as they kept making movies I kept going to see them. I still haven't skipped one in the theater. But admittedly, my interest in the series has waned as time has gone on. The whole thing has just gotten more and more ridiculous and the series has strayed quite far away from where it started. If you go back and watch that first movie it's really pretty grounded in terms of believability.

I think the whole world approves of the direction the franchise has gone in.

The first one was laughably bad and gave birth to the entire ricer movement. Sure, ricers existed before the movie, but afterwards and to this day, it seems like everyone with a late model Honda Civic put a fartcan exhaust tip on and drives like an asshole. It was much less common before that movie.

The move itself would have been the birth of a hundred different memes if it came out today. It was a complete joke to anyone who knew anything about cars. It was illogical to the point of hilarity.

Over time, it became a fun, over-the-top action franchise. With the exception of Tokyo Drift (which was equally as bad, if not worse than the first), every single F&F movie has been better.

giphy.gif

I think the whole world approves of the direction the franchise has gone in.

Well I can tell you that's not true. I've talked to a lot of people who still count the first film as the best.

It's Point Break with cars. A total rip off, yes, but a rip-off of a good movie that's done pretty well.

I still love that first film and it's easily the one I've watched the most.

The first one was laughably bad. . .

<{cruzshake}>

Well I can tell you that's not true. I've talked to a lot of people who still count the first film as the best.

It's Point Break with cars. A total rip off, yes, but a rip-off of a good movie that's done pretty well.

I still love that first film and it's easily the one I've watched the most.

<{cruzshake}>

I mean. Sure you know a "a lot" of people who think the first movie is the best.

Box office numbers probably say otherwise. Rotten Tomatoes puts it at 5th best with critics (how that movie got any positive reviews is astounding) and 4th best with audiences (most of whom I assume installed shitty slip on exhausts on their mom's Nissan).

I mean. Sure you know a "a lot" of people who think the first movie is the best.

Box office numbers probably say otherwise. Rotten Tomatoes puts it at 5th best with critics (how that movie got any positive reviews is astounding) and 4th best with audiences (most of whom I assume installed shitty slip on exhausts on their mom's Nissan).

Well yeah, I mean I've talked to a lot of F&F fans over the years just because at one time I probably would've called it my favorite franchise. That lead to a lot of discussions and often times the people I talked to agreed that the first is still the best. It's really not an uncommon opinion.

You probably would find MORE people who say Fast Five is the best of the series but that doesn't mean that people who prefer the first film aren't out there in substantial numbers.

Well yeah, I mean I've talked to a lot of F&F fans over the years just because at one time I probably would've called it my favorite franchise. That lead to a lot of discussions and often times the people I talked to agreed that the first is still the best. It's really not an uncommon opinion.

You probably would find MORE people who say Fast Five is the best of the series but that doesn't mean that people who prefer the first film aren't out there in substantial numbers.

Sure. And millions upon millions of people buy Nickelback albums.

That series is strictly about money. I'm not surprised.

1 and 3 are still my favorite and those two also happen to be the most grounded, realistic entries in the series.

Maybe I'd feel differently about the newer movies if the series had started out as an over-the-top action series but I just don't love the direction they've gone with it.

Fast Five was pretty good but 4 was terrible, 6 and 7 were fairly good but nothing more than that, and 8 was pretty shitty.
There's so many I forget the numbers

3 is the one with the drug lord? (Not the one in Brazil) or was 3 Tokyo drift?

8 is the last one where dominick was blackmailed for his kid?

It is true, lmao.

My point was that just because you know a lot of people who like the first movie doesn't indicate that it is good.

Well, you know, opinions and all that. . .

There's so many I forget the numbers

3 is the one with the drug lord? (Not the one in Brazil) or was 3 Tokyo drift?

8 is the last one where dominick was blackmailed for his kid?

3 is Tokyo Drift.

4 was the one where they started to move toward more over-the-top action fare. That was the one where they were using the underground tunnels to go into Mexico. It was the turning point for the series and felt a little like the old, a little like the new.

Yeah, 8 was the one where Dom's kid was kidnapped.

Well, you know, opinions and all that. . .

I'm not saying you're not allowed to like the movie. I'm just saying that it isn't very good. So much nonsense going on constantly throughout the movie. If I could watch it for free (I don't think it's free on any streaming platforms at the moment), I would post every dumb thing about. Like, for instance, the "ten second" race that took ~5 minutes despite no slow-motion shots, or the floorboard dropping out of the car due to "NOS" and somehow in the midst of that stupidity, having nothing between the floorboard or the car. Or even the "I need NOS because my car topped out at 140", despite top speed being dictated by either a governor or the car's gear ratios.

And all of that is in like the first 15 minutes.

I'm not saying you're not allowed to like the movie. I'm just saying that it isn't very good. So much nonsense going on constantly throughout the movie. If I could watch it for free (I don't think it's free on any streaming platforms at the moment), I would post every dumb thing about. Like, for instance, the "ten second" race that took ~5 minutes despite no slow-motion shots, or the floorboard dropping out of the car due to "NOS" and somehow in the midst of that stupidity, having nothing between the floorboard or the car. Or even the "I need NOS because my car topped out at 140", despite top speed being dictated by either a governor or the car's gear ratios.

And all of that is in like the first 15 minutes.

You see, you're looking at it like "look at all these technical inaccuracies! How dumb!"

People like me, who don't really care about cars like that, are just enjoying the story of a cop who's in too deep and the underground racing world that consumes him. It doesn't really matter to me if NOS works that way in the real world. All that's important is that it works that way in the story.

You see, you're looking at it like "look at all these technical inaccuracies! How dumb!"

People like me, who don't really care about cars like that, are just enjoying the story of a cop who's in too deep and the underground racing world that consumes him. It doesn't really matter to me if NOS works that way in the real world. All that's important is that it works that way in the story.

There is just too much dumb shit in that movie for me to suspend disbelief and enjoy it. A lot of the movie centers around cars. It's not that hard to have a consultant on set to make sure the dialogue is at least KIND OF accurate.