Fairtex Super Bag Gloves HBG9 Review

Those lines are normal. If the leather is loose enough that it can fold a tiny bit it ends up with those marks when you hit the bag with any kind of punch that doesn't impact straight on. No worries.

In retrospect, I am kind of leaning toward that idea, also.

I've heard several people claim this, especially based on the fact that Fairtex doesn't recognize the existance of these gloves.

Check this thread:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f16/fairtex-bgv1-1291763/

:icon_chee

That he is. Thanks for the read.

Hey "Chitty Chitty",

I have to say that I am sitting on the fence over this one. Leather is a natural material, and while stretched over the foam during construction to ensure it does not loosen up excessively, once they begin to wear in, some of those marks are natural. It is also a very durable material unless you puncture or cut/tear it.

I would have to say, IMHO,

* Photos one and two look completely natural and good.

* Photo three on the right thumb looks like it has layed against something, and that should almost completely recover.

* Photo four, the right hand glove (on the right side of the photo) and the other glove to a limited extent, does not look like a natural crease in the leather. So, unless you punched a raised area ie, logo, stitching, etc.. on the bag, or slid them into an equipment bag and caught them on an interior rough spot, ie, raised rivit, etc.., or they continue to degrade there. That would be the only thing I would be concerned about, as far as additional degradation and possible cracking.

* Photos five and six look like leather marks that at this time should not be a problem, unless you begin to see an actual crack in the surface as opposed to normal wrinkle patterns in the leather.

Ringside has a very good in house 90 warranty on their gloves, so at this point I suppose you could see if the problem worsens, or be on the safe side and contact them by telephone, speak to someone in customer service, explain the problem and ask about an RMA to return them for an even exchange. It is a relatively simple process, and even though they were a great price, you still purchased a "new" pair of gloves. I hope this helps.

You could even get the name of the CS rep, send them the photos, ask if this is natural? If they say, "yes" and then if it contiues to degrade over a month or so, recontact the exact same person you spoke to and say, "Hey, here's what I got now."

I guess it is up to you.

Thanks for the detailed feedback ECS! And I guess I'm just gonna stick with Mumrik's advice since it doesn't bother me too much anymore. And another question, do the BGV1's usually have a cloth strap or a leather flap to attach the thumb?? I showed these to my kru today, and he said they were overall quality gloves, but he was disappointed with the fact that the thumb was attached with cloth, and that the gloves had no grip bar (he's old school when it comes to gloves, and sure loves his Thaismai's).

Thanks for the detailed feedback ECS! And I guess I'm just gonna stick with Mumrik's advice since it doesn't bother me too much anymore. And another question, do the BGV1's usually have a cloth strap or a leather flap to attach the thumb?? I showed these to my kru today, and he said they were overall quality gloves, but he was disappointed with the fact that the thumb was attached with cloth, and that the gloves had no grip bar (he's old school when it comes to gloves, and sure loves his Thaismai's).

The BGV1's have the cloth attached thumb. It looks like a very high strength woven piece of flat nylon lace material, similar in weave to a nylon type vehicle tow strap on a shoe lace scale. My BGV1's and BGV1 N's have the same type of attachment for the thumb.

The BGV1's do not have a grip hose, and I actually prefer grip hoses, too, but the BGV1's have a great design IMHO, and fit the hand is so good, there is really no need for the grip hose, at least it is not something that you will miss on those gloves. The BGV4's have a grip hose. I hope this helps.

Ps. I think your gloves should be fine, and if in the unlikely event they do show any signs of cracking, just give Ringside a call.

I bought these gloves about 5 months ago when they were at normal price. The gloves are comfortable but the leather in the palm and on the inside part of the thumb got really loose and ripped. Both of the thumbs have holes on the thumb now and the leather in the palm is really soft and flimsy now. I'll try to take some pics with my shitty cam phone. I use them for pad/mittwork and bag work and they are great though. The only thing I hate on them is using them to cover because the opening on the inside of the glove comes to a sharp point and it always poke me in the ear lol.
Photo-0042.jpg

Photo-0041.jpg

Last edited:
I bought these gloves about 5 months ago when they were at normal price. The gloves are comfortable but the leather in the palm and on the inside part of the thumb got really loose and ripped. Both of the thumbs have holes on the thumb now and the leather in the palm is really soft and flimsy now. I'll try to take some pics with my shitty cam phone. I use them for pad/mittwork and bag work and they are great though. The only thing I hate on them is using them to cover because the opening on the inside of the glove comes to a sharp point and it always poke me in the ear lol.
Photo-0042.jpg

Photo-0041.jpg

I have a similar problem with the leather in the thumb and palm also...We do a lot of clinching knees on the tear drop bag, and after one day I already noticed the inside leather of the thumb rubbing off!

I have a similar problem with the leather in the thumb and palm also...We do a lot of clinching knees on the tear drop bag, and after one day I already noticed the inside leather of the thumb rubbing off!
Yea, I was kinda dissapointed but they are still great gloves to use for anything but sparring.

daaamn..those are some sexy gloves..i alweiz wanted a pair

Ew. Those pics make me want to return my gloves before the return policy is up.

Ew. Those pics make me want to return my gloves before the return policy is up.

As much as a turn off those pics seem to be, theres a chance those gloves are from a defective batch. Its easy to resort to the "you get what you pay for" argument, even I questioned the price for these gloves several times before finally purchasing. But in the end, its hard to complain even with minor holes like that these gloves still kick major ass for $35 free shipping included. If anything, those holes would just give me the extra ventilation I wanted =P

Also unless i'm mistaken, Ringside's return policy window is unusually flexible. Something around 150 days to return a product, so if something like this does happen we'll have a safety net.

Valid points. $35 isn't a big risk, and for being bag gloves I'm not worried about scratching faces.

The high placement of those holes seems somewhat unusual. If they are not defective material, could it be something else?

His trainer splashes sulfuric acid on him when he forgets to cover his face.

Just a little update on the gloves I have. The entrie line across the thumb (near the other hole) ripped apart. Pretty dissapointed. I put some medical tape on them to see how they hold up. On the upside, I did just get a pair of brand new Fairtex 16oz BGV1 yellow and black nation print gloves for FREE. They are dope!

I have the same gloves in 12 oz.I got them for a friend.In the mean time i wanted to feel them and i hit the bag for about 15 min with pretty strong punches. The cracks in the leather are way more visible then what was posted on here.Looks like theres too much leather put on one glove since it badly wrinkels/folds
I wonder how they'd look if i used them for a month :/

Personally i dont like how they feel and look.Maybe its because i am more used to the western boxing style glove with not so much padding.But to each his own:)

Last edited:
Looking at the pictures of the glove on your hand it looks to me like you end up in a hand position where your fingers rather than your knuckles take the impact from the blow. Am I wrong?

^ That's what I thought too, from the second picture.

Back