Fairtex Super Bag Gloves HBG9 Review

Arkitekt

Green Belt
Reaction score
First off thanks to ECS123 for creating this thread pointing out the sale for these gloves, it is most appreciated.

This is my first review on these forums so if I left anything out, please let me know and i'll do my best to add any extra info.

Fairtex Super Bag Gloves HBG9 Review by Arkitekt

I'll begin by saying that this is probably one of the best buys, if not the best, I have made for my martial arts equipment this year. These gloves normally go for $70-$80 on most sites but it was on sale through ringside for $35 + free shipping with the coupon code.

Product Description (as per Ringside's Website):

Engineered with pre-curved high quality leather shell and uni-layered high-density latex foam. Enclosed thumb with full-wrist wrap hook & loop closure for maximum comfort and support. Hand made in Thailand with top grain leather. 12 oz in weight.

First Impressions (5/5):

I've never owned a Fairtex product before but i've read that I could expect top notch quality from this brand. Normally i'm not one for aesthetics, more so for functionality, but even I stop every now and then and think "damn, these are some sexy gloves".

Sizing and Fit (5/5):

I'm a pretty thick dude and generally wear size large gloves and without wraps, these gloves fit very nicely on my gorilla-sized hands. With wraps, they fit snuggly enough without feeling uncomfortable or turning my fingers blue. Great wrist support which allows a little movement. I was worried at first that 12oz gloves would be too tight for a guy my size but they ended up feeling like they were custom made for me.

Construction Quality (5/5):

The quality of the leather is very nice. The stitching work is even better, no loose threads and the leather around the seams is folded over very neatly. The inner lining is very comfortable and durable. Inside the glove there seems to be two layers of foam, a softer layer that goes over my knuckles and one that is a little more dense above that. Its just the type of product you look at and know that its built to last.

Functionality and Usage (5/5):

Recently I used these gloves with focus mitts and thai pads and the foam layers are amazing. The day after I didn't feel sore even though I tried to go a little harder than usual to test how much impact it can absorb.

Summary:

- One of the best bangs for your buck
- Excellent fit
- Superior construction quality
- Very comfortable
- High quality foam
- Could use a little more ventilation
- No grip bar across palm

Conclusion (4.5/5):

Overall, this is a steal for a Fairtex product like this one. I'm still in shock that retailers would sell it at this price but i'm not complaining. If I had to be picky though, I would like to have more ventilation as there are currently only 5 perforated holes in the palm. Also, there is no grip bar across the palm like most gloves have. I suppose this can be left to personal preference but its nice to have for those that like it. Bottom line, if you're in the market for bag gloves you can't go wrong with these Super Bag Gloves from Fairtex.

Last edited:
IMG_1135.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_1137.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

Great review and photos, period, let alone for a first review. Very well done. Thanks!

:icon_chee

Sexy gloves indeed. You know how to take pictures. Man, for 35$!
I wish you some good learning and enjoyable moments in them.

Great review! I've been writing some of my own and have been stealing ideas from others reviews to better mine, and you have some of the more professional looking pictures!

What kind of mats are those under your gloves? They look legit.

I bought myself a pair of these under ECS's thread. I haven't yet put them to full use bc I've been testing my KOFG's, but I really look forward to dedicating these gloves to bag work.

Thanks for the review!

Looking at the pictures of the glove on your hand it looks to me like you end up in a hand position where your fingers rather than your knuckles take the impact from the blow. Am I wrong?

I just got these gloves yesterday and I was using them on the heavy bag earlier today. After that i noticed some deep cracks that are PRETTY noticeable...Is this normal??

Great review, nice mats too, are they the costco ones?

I just got these gloves yesterday and I was using them on the heavy bag earlier today. After that i noticed some deep cracks that are PRETTY noticeable...Is this normal??

It does not sound normal to me. Can you post some photos of the area you are referring to?

Product Description (as per Ringside's Website):

Engineered with pre-curved high quality leather shell and uni-layered high-density latex foam...

...Inside the glove there seems to be two layers of foam, a softer layer that goes over my knuckles and one that is a little more dense above that...

I also had a chance to closely examine a pair of these gloves over the weekend. There are actually THREE layers of foam: two soft layers on top and bottom; and a firm, dense layer in the middle. It's definitely not "uni-layered high-density latex foam", as the Ringside description states.

This supports (confirms, actually) my previous assertion that these "super bag gloves" are merely 12oz BGV1 training gloves, regardless of what Ringside says.

And that makes the deal even more remarkable -- you got a $90 pair of gloves for $35.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

What kind of mats are those under your gloves? They look legit.

Thanks, those mats are from my local BJ's Wholesale Club but others have gotten the same from a Costco or other wholesale stores. If I recall correctly, they are sold in packs of eight tiles for $18. Dimensions are 24"x24"x0.5" per tile. I ended up buying two packs to double layer a 4'x8'x1" area in my small bedroom for BJJ drills and shadowboxing. Check out this link of 72Chambers' basement gym project which has more pics and info of these mats.

Looking at the pictures of the glove on your hand it looks to me like you end up in a hand position where your fingers rather than your knuckles take the impact from the blow. Am I wrong?

I know exactly what you're talking about and it was a concern of mine too. The area on the glove where it seems like my fingers are pointing out further than my knuckles is actually a crease in the foam for easy fist-making . Although it doesn't seem like it, I didn't have any problems with hitting anything but my knuckles when using them.

As far as i'm concerned, these gloves are constructed flawlessly. Maybe you received a factory defect but its hard to say unless you post pictures.

Great review, nice mats too, are they the costco ones?

You know it! I got them at a local BJ's instead of Costco but they were the exact same product that you posted in your pics. I never would have known about these mats if it weren't for your basement gym thread. Thanks!

^ don't know if that's a crack in the leather but my 16oz Fairtex gloves have similar marks but not as deep as yours

Hey "Chitty Chitty",

I have to say that I am sitting on the fence over this one. Leather is a natural material, and while stretched over the foam during construction to ensure it does not loosen up excessively, once they begin to wear in, some of those marks are natural. It is also a very durable material unless you puncture or cut/tear it.

I would have to say, IMHO,

* Photos one and two look completely natural and good.

* Photo three on the right thumb looks like it has layed against something, and that should almost completely recover.

* Photo four, the right hand glove (on the right side of the photo) and the other glove to a limited extent, does not look like a natural crease in the leather. So, unless you punched a raised area ie, logo, stitching, etc.. on the bag, or slid them into an equipment bag and caught them on an interior rough spot, ie, raised rivit, etc.., or they continue to degrade there. That would be the only thing I would be concerned about, as far as additional degradation and possible cracking.

* Photos five and six look like leather marks that at this time should not be a problem, unless you begin to see an actual crack in the surface as opposed to normal wrinkle patterns in the leather.

Ringside has a very good in house 90 warranty on their gloves, so at this point I suppose you could see if the problem worsens, or be on the safe side and contact them by telephone, speak to someone in customer service, explain the problem and ask about an RMA to return them for an even exchange. It is a relatively simple process, and even though they were a great price, you still purchased a "new" pair of gloves. I hope this helps.

You could even get the name of the CS rep, send them the photos, ask if this is natural? If they say, "yes" and then if it contiues to degrade over a month or so, recontact the exact same person you spoke to and say, "Hey, here's what I got now."

I guess it is up to you.

Last edited:
I bought a pair of these from Ringside after seeing ECS's thread as well. They are the same size and weight as my Hayabusa bag gloves (the description on the Hayabusa's says that they are 10 oz, but in reality they weigh the same as the Fairtex gloves).

I've only used the Fairtex super bag gloves for a handful of sessions, but they just don't compare to the Hayabusa's for me at all. The hand position feels less natural, the lining is less comfortable, and there is less wrist support, in my opinion. Overall still a good buy, I'm just spoiled from using the Hayabusa gloves. I like the Fairtex Muay Thai bag gloves much more than the super bag gloves.

Those lines are normal. If the leather is loose enough that it can fold a tiny bit it ends up with those marks when you hit the bag with any kind of punch that doesn't impact straight on. No worries.

This supports (confirms, actually) my previous assertion that these "super bag gloves" are merely 12oz BGV1 training gloves, regardless of what Ringside says.

I've heard several people claim this, especially based on the fact that Fairtex doesn't recognize the existance of these gloves.

I know exactly what you're talking about and it was a concern of mine too. The area on the glove where it seems like my fingers are pointing out further than my knuckles is actually a crease in the foam for easy fist-making . Although it doesn't seem like it, I didn't have any problems with hitting anything but my knuckles when using them.

Looks are deceiving then. That is good to hear :)
I find that to be an important issue when it comes to bag gloves.

Back