FACT: Woodley has been as active of a champion as GSP was.

Tyron has the "most improved" view among hardcores and for good reason. I'll just speak for myself when I say that what turned me off at first was as soon as he won the belt he was going on about "money fights" like Nate. Remember the context at that time... Conor was at LW ducking Khabib and Tony (0 defenses) and Bisping was at MW ducking Romero (0 defenses) and Tyron was at WW with 0 defenses. Dark times for the sport. Tyron was one of "them" in that context. He had a really nice fight with #1 contender Thompson (the first time) and defended consistently after that.

So that first introduction as champ completely changed, and he talks less about money fights now with 3.5 defenses than he did with 0 defenses. Tyron is the man, and hardcores appreciate his rate of defenses. I do wish they'd get better contenders for him, but it isn't his fault that WW is drying up. I still think a rematch of him vs a WW Kelvin on a tear would be great.
Colby will be champ and defend 3X a year. Make all those nerd champs look bad.
The 15 minutes milked from the RDA win is now up. No one gives a shit any more, especially considering ducking the belt he supposedly wanted ha.

I like Woodley but he obviously tweaks a lot of people including Dana. He's paranoid that if he loses the belt it'll be years before he gets another shot but it's also true Dana doesn't like Stipe or Aldo and look what happened after they lost titles so he usually fights as low risk as possible. It also doesn't help that he's following in Lawler's footsteps who's exciting & always fights to finish.
That’s a fair point. Look at how Dana treated Fitch. If Woodley loses the title, he’s not getting any easy fights and would have to continuously earn the “privilege” to stay on the roster despite being a talented fighter.

Are we talking active as in number of fights or work rate during fights?

When Woodley beats Usman next month it will be his 6th fight in the last 2 years and 8 months. Dating back to his first title win vs Lawler in July 2016.

Comparing this to the last dominant WW, GSP. He also had 6 fights within 2 years and 8 months including first win vs Serra that started his long title reign. After those six fights he fought again 4 months later, making 7 fights in 3 years.

Just saying, I don’t ever remember people calling GSP an inactive champion. Yet Tyron gets called out for that all the time. It’s time to put some respect on Woodley’s name. With another title defense vs Usman (especially a finish), he’ll solidify himself as an all time great champion even though I already think he is.

The other diference is that Woodley is actually sleeping his opponents. Not laying on top of them for 25 minutes to win by points on a judge's scorecard; wash rinse repeat for 6 YEARS.

Back